Rift S...

It varies.
On reddit I'm reading comments of people with 70mm IPD, and it ranges from "it's awesome and sharp" or it's a "a blurry mess, I'm returning it."

I would definitely try before buying, or at least buy somewhere with a non hassle returns policy.

For me, it depends very much on the vertical position of the headset. If i have it too loose and it shifts downwards, the image gets pretty blurry... it took me a half an hour to find the best fit and i returned to the IPD setup several times as well. My IPD is 64.5 mm.

I was measured at my last eye exam at either 71 or 73 — don't remember exactly. I don't have a local retailer with one on display, but I suppose Amazon or Best Buy would take returns.

I've just picked mine up today and after just a brief fly in ED I'm very impressed! Just so I get the most out of this HMD please could people tell me the best display settings ingame/steam etc?

The only disappointment for me is the audio, its horrific! I'm picking up some decent in-ear headphones tomorrow such as Soundmagic E11C or Sennheiser Momentum 2's

My Rift S arrived today, and the picture is much, much sharper, but I have a weird problem....

I am playing in washed out, low-saturation colors, like when in the Rift your sensor tracking was briefly bad. But now, it's constant. Station services is colored right, but everything else, including the spinning ship on load is washed out.

Anybody any ideas? This is just Elite doing it. I can't find a way to disable the wash-out, and while the increased sharpness is fantastic, the lack of color is... not good...

EDIT: restarting the game and Oculus fixed it for the length of a CZ, but on docking I lifted the headset a bit, it briefly went black, then returned to washed out colors... And right after that - after lifting again - it went back to correct colors. But this is annoying. I can't do anything in Oculus to change it, nor in Elite. Can we get a "don't wash out colors when Elite thinks there is poor tracking"?

Last edited:
Yeah, but it’s always whining about the fact that I don’t have 10, and there are a myriad of glitches and hiccups with my CV1 (mostly with connectivity) that I suspect are related to the fact that I’m running on 7. Plus, the system requirements for the S don’t include 7.
Can now confirm, the Rift S is NOT compatible with Windows 7. It demands that you upgrade as soon as the driver install is complete and won’t let you go any further.

Thank goodness I have my (weirdly more powerful) mobile rig with Win10. Just means more faffing around to intertwine it with my HOTAS setup, but for more resolution and no more sensor issues, it’s worth it.

My Rift S arrived today, and the picture is much, much sharper, but I have a weird problem....

I am playing in washed out, low-saturation colors, like when in the Rift your sensor tracking was briefly bad. But now, it's constant. Station services is colored right, but everything else, including the spinning ship on load is washed out.

Anybody any ideas? This is just Elite doing it. I can't find a way to disable the wash-out, and while the increased sharpness is fantastic, the lack of color is... not good...

EDIT: restarting the game and Oculus fixed it for the length of a CZ, but on docking I lifted the headset a bit, it briefly went black, then returned to washed out colors... And right after that - after lifting again - it went back to correct colors. But this is annoying. I can't do anything in Oculus to change it, nor in Elite. Can we get a "don't wash out colors when Elite thinks there is poor tracking"?

I donˋt have this issue, but 3 things i can think of are, that you sit too close to your guardian boundaries, that the sensor does not get enough external light, or the hz value for the sensor is set to the wrong frequency. Maybe fiddle with those settings?

Also a lot of people, has issues with wonky cables, it could be worthwhile to also reseat it in the HMD if someone has issues.

Also I would say elite has wonky curves.
It's the only titlke I have tried where colours could seem a little desaturated.
I put two notches down on gamma setting and that sorted most of it.

I just use the same settimgs as with the regular rift.

Just turned down the SS.

I don't need it, and things run fine and dandy.
Ah, that must be what was wrong on mine. Logged on and everything was laggy and jumpy. Forgot to dial back the supersampling. I was about to be really confused if a GTX-1080, 32 GB of RAM, and an i9 was somehow not enough.

Set mine up yesterday and overall it’s a good improvement on the CV1. Much clearer and the inside out tracking makes using the touch controllers much more practical.

On the negative side the built in speaker are absolutely terrible. It’s like listening to someone else’s headphones on a train or something but apparently they are working on a firmware improvement.

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong but there doesn’t seem to be any tilt adjustment like there was in the CV1 and every time I put the headset down it moves the adjustment wheel on the back and have to adjust it again when I put it back on?

I’ve adjusted the IPD correctly but it doesn’t really make much difference where I set it, I can see clearly anyway but that seems odd as it made a huge difference in the CV1. Still no bad thing.

An odd effect is that since it is so much clearer if I look behind me so both eyes are fully left or right I get double vision. It’s a bit of an extreme scenario but I never noticed that in the CV1. It’s also generally more noticeable that it’s less clear if I look away from the centre now but I think that’s just down to it being so much clearer in the sweet spot than the CV1.

Other than the speakers they are all niggles I’m sure I’ll get used to.

My 1080 can’t maintain 80FPS everywhere with my old setting with the bump in resolution but that’s just gonna need tweaking.

Overall it’s a much better bit of kit and I’m glad I upgraded.

Hi
Quick couple of Qs

Can you turn off guardian like you can in CV1?
If I run Elite at 1.5 HMD and 0.85 SS, how would I fare here? TorTorden mentioned he could turn off SS etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes you can turn guardian off no problems. I run a 1080ti, and have left my settings as they were. 1.5HMD and 1.0SS I believe. Looks great, and it doesn't run any differently than before.

Hi
Quick couple of Qs

Can you turn off guardian like you can in CV1?
If I run Elite at 1.5 HMD and 0.85 SS, how would I fare here? TorTorden mentioned he could turn off SS etc.

Thanks!

You can still turn of Guardian.

I can’t exactly answer your second question but a ran at HMD 1.25 and SS 1 before and that is a little too demanding now.

I did try using the Oculus debug tool to set it to something a bit lower than the game settings allow but got odd results (didn’t look any different but used more GPU) and need to test more. 1.25 with the Rift is is very clear.

Tried my Rift S with Elite last night - WOW what a difference! The clarity is amazing!!! I took my vette to a HazRes for a little combat action, and found myself just staring at the roids - they were almost (almost!) monitor-quality looking! I can't wait to land on a surface with it and check out something like Dav's or a Guardian site!!

Ship visuals were also very clear, and station interior/exterior detailing was terrrific and easy to see as well. I sat on the pad just looking around the station for a few minutes in awe, did the same just flying around a station too.

Hands down an improvement over CV1 (no surprise) but also visually much sharper than Odyssey+ IMHO.

You can still turn of Guardian.

I can’t exactly answer your second question but a ran at HMD 1.25 and SS 1 before and that is a little too demanding now.

I did try using the Oculus debug tool to set it to something a bit lower than the game settings allow but got odd results (didn’t look any different but used more GPU) and need to test more. 1.25 with the Rift is is very clear.

Thanks!!!

So the Oculus S. Please can I ask what your system specs are? Mine is quite low: Ryzen 2600k with 1070.
Because the optics are better, would do you recon reducing the settings to 1 HMD and SS would look better than 1.5 HMD with 0.85 SS?

Thanks!!!

So the Oculus S. Please can I ask what your system specs are? Mine is quite low: Ryzen 2600k with 1070.
Because the optics are better, would do you recon reducing the settings to 1 HMD and SS would look better than 1.5 HMD with 0.85 SS?

I have an i7 8700k and GTX 1080. So not that different. I’m a bit of a 90 FPS snob (or 80 now I guess:) ) with ASW running it had a fair bit of leg room so I’m guessing a 1070 would be able to cope with the same settings in ASW.

The optics are miles better, with everything at 1 it is more like HMD 1.5 and SS at 1 On the CV1 I reckon. It’s certainly clearer than 1.25 and 1 in the CV 1.

I’ve got a question for the users the went from CV1 to S, did you have to redownload the Oculus app or does the app the CV1 used work for the S? I ask because I have a monthly bandwidth allowance and I’m hoping that I don’t need to redownload the app because it’s kind of big.

Top Bottom