Rift S...

It's personal preference, but as it is now, 1x ss or HMD-q in the S looks better than 2x in the rift.
More pixels are more pixels, you can't supersample yourself to more details.
I'm questioning wether ED plays nicely with the new S and the ASW mode since I found it a bit more disturbing in it.
But I could do a few minor, barely noticeable drops in settings and get 80 pretty much in anything.

I’ve got a question for the users the went from CV1 to S, did you have to redownload the Oculus app or does the app the CV1 used work for the S? I ask because I have a monthly bandwidth allowance and I’m hoping that I don’t need to redownload the app because it’s kind of big.
Exact same software, same everything.
Just plug in the S and it starts updating firmwares for the HMD and controllers, and then you are off setting up guardian.

This is now handled the same way as with the Quest, so done from inside the HMD, touch controller to floor, pick any direction you want for forward. I suggest and prefer away from everything.
And then draw the guardian outline, since I also did that a few times with the Quest yesterday, this took me 30 seconds.

And you can of course disable it afterwards, and in that menu you can also enable the shortcut function for passthrough.

It's personal preference, but as it is now, 1x ss or HMD-q in the S looks better than 2x in the rift.
More pixels are more pixels, you can't supersample yourself to more details.
I'm questioning wether ED plays nicely with the new S and the ASW mode since I found it a bit more disturbing in it.
But I could do a few minor, barely noticeable drops in settings and get 80 pretty much in anything.

Exact same software, same everything.
Just plug in the S and it starts updating firmwares for the HMD and controllers, and then you are off setting up guardian.

This is now handled the same way as with the Quest, so done from inside the HMD, touch controller to floor, pick any direction you want for forward. I suggest and prefer away from everything.
And then draw the guardian outline, since I also did that a few times with the Quest yesterday, this took me 30 seconds.

And you can of course disable it afterwards, and in that menu you can also enable the shortcut function for passthrough.
Awesome, thanks my S was just delivered 5 minutes ago!!!

I’ve got a question for the users the went from CV1 to S, did you have to redownload the Oculus app or does the app the CV1 used work for the S? I ask because I have a monthly bandwidth allowance and I’m hoping that I don’t need to redownload the app because it’s kind of big.

In my case , when I disconnected the CV1 and connected the S, Windows 10 automatically saw it was connected and downloaded the new setup app. It then downloaded and installed the newest firmware, all without any prompts. The whole process took a bit longer than I expected, but yes, there will be some data downloads while setting up.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks my S was just delivered 5 minutes ago!!!
HAVE YOU SET IT UP YET? HAVE YOU SET IT UP YET? HAVE YOU SET IT UP YET? HAVE YOU SET IT UP YET? HAVE YOU SET IT UP YET?
WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT DO YOU THINK? :)

Just tried the rift s. It looks way better than the Cv1 for sure. God rays almost gone, can't really see any sde either. Everything looks crisp, using the same settings, no problem maintaining fps everywhere.
I've tried tracking too, hands behind my back, head. Amazingly it track perfect. Not much use for ED but still.
Somehow blacks are way better compared to my Cv1. Had to turn the gamma two notches down. Looks great. Planets look great too. Jagged edges still a thing but that's on Elite's side.
I can finally fit my glasses in the headset. I'm very much pleased with that.
I did notice some distortion on the edges of the lenses. Sweet spot is pretty good but on the side of the lenses there's distortion that's pretty annoying. It seems to be more on the left than the right lense. I may have to keep working on fitting it right.
Anyone else notice that though?

What's your IPD Paso ?

Try shutting each eye and testing.

I tried that. It just seems that it is a bit more distortion on the left lense, on its left side. It might be that the headset does not sit properly on my head.
I'll keep trying different positions

The clarity of the Rift-S is a significant jump from the Rift. It's like the blurriness is gone. The clarity is astounding.

My IPD is around 70mm so the downside for me is that the sweet spot is smaller than before. But it's visually so much better that I can't go back to my Rift. The Rift doesn't compare.

But I think the Index has the possibility of being the gold standard if it has even a slightly higher FOV plus the IPD adjustment.

I donˋt have this issue, but 3 things i can think of are, that you sit too close to your guardian boundaries, that the sensor does not get enough external light, or the hz value for the sensor is set to the wrong frequency. Maybe fiddle with those settings?

Thanks - great help. My play area is quite small and the guardian boundary on my left especially is right next to me. The light wasn't the issue, because with or without overhead light I had the same issue.

I am seated for ED, so don't need Guardian. Went back into set up, skipped Guardian setup, and when exiting, color was back :)

EDIT: unfortunately, not long after it went back to desaturated. It still comes and goes in between lifting the headset to black and audio cut out.

It's annoying, because it's just ED doing. The tracking actually is totally fine.

Last edited:

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
EDIT: unfortunately, not long after it went back to desaturated. It still comes and goes in between lifting the headset to black and audio cut out.

It's annoying, because it's just ED doing. The tracking actually is totally fine.

I think this is part of the known issue in the latest patch where ED can drop out to the home environment/grid pattern.

Just got my S today and got it set up - first impressions are great. Low SDE, lower FoV than the Pimax but 10000000% more comfortable. Not needing lighthouses/sensors is a MAJOR win. Not too keen on the audio, but it works ok. Lens adjustment is great. First Rift headset (DK1/DK2/CV1/Go) which actually allows me to wear glasses in it!

Super comfortable, and is now my go-to headset within 10-20 mins of use. The Pimax 5+ is still the best for FoV, and in that, it's unbeatable - but it's heavy, uncomfortable, requires the Vive Audio strap to be at all acceptable - with extra foam padding to lift it off your nose (which is sore). I can compromise on FoV for something as comfortable, and easy to set up and use as the S.

One think I don't like (aside from the audio) is the hand controllers are set up so there's an angle just by holding them - i.e. if you are holding a gun in VR, then the handset is off to the left/right slightly as the grip doesn't feel straight. Wasn't an issue with the CV1, but it is with this - you need to unnaturally twist your wrist to the left/right to fire straight - it's like the grip isn't aligned along the center axis of the controller.

Aside from that, so far, it's a solid upgrade from the CV1 in terms of ease of use - one DP/HDMI and one USB, and you're good. Makes the Vive/Pimax with the lighthouses seem terribly over-complicated.

I'll echo that clarity on the s is amazing, kept same settings and the text looks great, a significant step up from the rift (which had some of the better text legibility in elite already)

Screen door is still there, but it's smaller, god rays are there but much much less, used to give me a headache looking at the target lock dot in the hud. There are some cons for the s, but as far as elite goes I think it looks fantastic... the blacks are not any less black than my cv1..it's definitely not as black as my monitor but it's good enough for me. Overall, happy I upgraded even though I'm sad it wasn't as much of an upgrade as I would have liked.

Tried my Rift S yesterday with Elite and... wow... it's a different game! And it was great already w/o VR. :)

I have some questions though:
  • people mentioned it's still possible to turn off Guardian" But HOW excactly do I do this? (the Rift S is my first HMD)
  • people also mentioned things like "HMD 1.25 and SS 1". The only thing I found was the configuration was a configuration parameter in the ED settings (forgot the name - but i think it's currently set to 1.25 (with "High VR")) and a configuration parameter in the Oculus Debug tool (with a value of 0). Are these the things you're talking about? Or is that something else?

Thanks!

Tried my Rift S yesterday with Elite and... wow... it's a different game! And it was great already w/o VR. :)

I have some questions though:
  • people mentioned it's still possible to turn off Guardian" But HOW excactly do I do this? (the Rift S is my first HMD)
  • people also mentioned things like "HMD 1.25 and SS 1". The only thing I found was the configuration was a configuration parameter in the ED settings (forgot the name - but i think it's currently set to 1.25 (with "High VR")) and a configuration parameter in the Oculus Debug tool (with a value of 0). Are these the things you're talking about? Or is that something else?
Thanks!
When you're setting the guardian, set the ground level, click continue and then you can abandon the rest.

I recommend using ED profiler, it's a free tool designed by an ED player. It has all the settings you need changing, for vr and 2d. You can even change hud colour with it and increase texture resolution. It also has HMD and SS settings.
I use 1.25 HMD, 1 SS. Everything else max. Besides AA, Bloom off.
I can maintain 80 fps everywhere with that.
It depends on your hardware, but play around with the settings and see what suits you.

When you're setting the guardian, set the ground level, click continue and then you can abandon the rest.

I recommend using ED profiler, it's a free tool designed by an ED player. It has all the settings you need changing, for vr and 2d. You can even change hud colour with it and increase texture resolution. It also has HMD and SS settings.
I use 1.25 HMD, 1 SS. Everything else max. Besides AA, Bloom off.
I can maintain 80 fps everywhere with that.
It depends on your hardware, but play around with the settings and see what suits you.

Please can you tell me your system specs as unsure what will be the best settings for my PC... i7 6700K, 32GB Ram, 1080Ti

Well blinking flipping botheration, just been to buy one and the S is out of stock around my neck of the woods, the earliest I could get one is next Wednesday. The earliest I can now order one is a week Sunday (with delivery time on top of that), so I shall have to keep looking at this thread with envious eyes for a little while longer :)

For a 1080Ti/Rift S combo use the Oculus debug tool and set the pixel per display pixel to 1.4 and force ASW off.

In Elite set HMD Quality to 1 and super sampling to 1.

Top Bottom