Rift S...

OK, so after all the positive reports I'm now on the cusp of getting into my first VR with a Rift S.
I have played in a friends CV1, so am not a total newb - the comments on the S being at least as good as the CV1 have kinda pushed me on.

Which means I need to invest in a new PC. Seeing that I'm a actually a casual gamer with lots of other things going on my life, I'm going in on as much a budget as possible, so it'll be a Ryzen 2600 system, 16Gb 3000, Sappire VEGA 56 based PC, and I'll be looking to hook it up in the living room on a Sony TV instead of a monitor, which seems more easy now, with the Rift being Display Port, I can use the HDMI for the TV.

Would anyone care to critique that proposed setup for me?

Yours Aye

Mark H

Im not sure you get the best experience with a Vega 56. I would look for a used GTX 1080TI. They often go really cheap these days.

For a 1080Ti/Rift S combo use the Oculus debug tool and set the pixel per display pixel to 1.4 and force ASW off.

In Elite set HMD Quality to 1 and super sampling to 1.

Please can you tell me where in Elite I can see the options for HMD Quality and Supersampling as my screen doesn't show any of these... I've looked for a good while and either it isnt there or I'm looking straight through :(

Tried my Rift S yesterday with Elite and... wow... it's a different game! And it was great already w/o VR. :)

I have some questions though:
  • people mentioned it's still possible to turn off Guardian" But HOW excactly do I do this? (the Rift S is my first HMD)
  • people also mentioned things like "HMD 1.25 and SS 1". The only thing I found was the configuration was a configuration parameter in the ED settings (forgot the name - but i think it's currently set to 1.25 (with "High VR")) and a configuration parameter in the Oculus Debug tool (with a value of 0). Are these the things you're talking about? Or is that something else?
Thanks!

Welcome to VR!

You can also turn of Guardian from Oculus home. Point the controller at gear icon and there is an option to turn it on and off.

OK, so after all the positive reports I'm now on the cusp of getting into my first VR with a Rift S.
I have played in a friends CV1, so am not a total newb - the comments on the S being at least as good as the CV1 have kinda pushed me on.

Which means I need to invest in a new PC. Seeing that I'm a actually a casual gamer with lots of other things going on my life, I'm going in on as much a budget as possible, so it'll be a Ryzen 2600 system, 16Gb 3000, Sappire VEGA 56 based PC, and I'll be looking to hook it up in the living room on a Sony TV instead of a monitor, which seems more easy now, with the Rift being Display Port, I can use the HDMI for the TV.

Would anyone care to critique that proposed setup for me?

Yours Aye

Mark H

That sounds fine but the more power the GPU the better. My GTX 1080 is ok and the Vega 56 isn’t miles off https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-56/3603vs3938

I always regret not getting a 1080ti though so if you can find a good used one that might be a better option.

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
I’ve got a question for the users the went from CV1 to S, did you have to redownload the Oculus app or does the app the CV1 used work for the S? I ask because I have a monthly bandwidth allowance and I’m hoping that I don’t need to redownload the app because it’s kind of big.

Provided it's up to date, you won't have to re-download it.

From what I've read Nvidia cards are just a better experience. I've got a 1080 and it's totally fine with the rift s, and I've seen used 1080s for $200.

Also the rift s > rift in elite imo, not that cv1 is bad but it's definitely better.

Having had a bit more time in the Rift S there are some things I really don't like about it: (in order of annoyance).

1: The lack of built in headphones is extremely annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if the built in speakers were any good but they are basically useless. That means you either tolerate it or have to faff about putting headphones or ear buds in when you play and then have to faff about even more with the cables and sockets. This is IMHO by far the worst thing about the Rift S. A massive step backwards.

2: The cable placement. It is in a really annoying position (for me anyway). It flops down everywhere imaginable on my left side (mostly my shoulder) and tugs on the headset near constantly. If its not flopping into to an appendage it is pulling on my head. I've gotten around it now but if the cable was further toward the back of the headset it would probably solve itself.

3. The adjustment on the back is far too easy to knock when you put the headset down. I've been able to put my CV1 down and put it back on again without adjusting anything for months. With the Rift S ~50% of the time its way too tight and I have to adjust everything again. It is a shame that you can't pull the adjustment out and lock the setting.... On the plus side it is super comfortable (when right).

4. Lack of Physical IPD. As someone with an IPD that is on the wider side (67ish) it is apparent that the software solution isn't ideal. The double vision I reported before is more apparent than I thought and although I don't know how to explain why (though it is to do with colour shift around objects) I can tell it is because the lenses aren't in the right place for my eyes (by moving my head).

I'm still I glad purchased a Rift S but beyond the wow of improved optics there is plenty of room for improvement ;)

My cable issue escalated last night as I feared.
And I now have constant RGB noise over the entire image.

No comment from oculus even though have had a ticket going since Wednesday evening.

I'm a little less than pleased with this.

My cable issue escalated last night as I feared.
And I now have constant RGB noise over the entire image.

No comment from oculus even though have had a ticket going since Wednesday evening.

I'm a little less than pleased with this.

I’ve been experiencing an issue I would describe as ‘flash white noise’. Every so often for a few micro seconds it’s like I’m looking at a detuned analogue tv.

Is that similar to what you mean?

I’ve been experiencing an issue I would describe as ‘flash white noise’. Every so often for a few micro seconds it’s like I’m looking at a detuned analogue tv.

That's how it started for me, after a black screen issue that was resolved by reseating the cable in the HMD.

Had more of those last night again, and once I got it back online I had the panel pixels flickering between RGB .

Especially visible on blacker frames.

That's how it started for me, after a black screen issue that was resolved by reseating the cable in the HMD.

Had more of those last night again, and once I got it back online I had the panel pixels flickering between RGB .

Especially visible on blacker frames.

Oh dear :( Hopefully it’s a firmware job.

I get this, seems to be a common problem and Oculus support have said it is being investigated.

Top Bottom