Rift S...

Thank you, seriously considering it more now!
Main worry was if there was more frame drop but sounds good,

A

One thing i forgot. The sharpness of the image increased by such a great margin, that i was able to reduce SSS to 1.0 and HMD Quality to 1.25, which is also responsible for the performance boost.

Just that you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.
But it's quite likely with Elite you are maintaining decent ASW framerates, the amount of artefacts you get when you can't even maintain that, and poorly optimised games like p3d being one of them is huge.

Just that you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.
But it's quite likely with Elite you are maintaining decent ASW framerates, the amount of artefacts you get when you can't even maintain that, and poorly optimised games like p3d being one of them is huge.

Indeed, they might be there but I don't see them. Can't say the same for P3D, but at least it has improved a lot lately.

Asw in Ed looks great, at least to my middle aged eyes ;) My 1080gtx works just fine with elite and really the rift s didn't increase the specs to run over cv1 a whole lot afaik. I think that additional pixel density was somewhat countered by 80 vs 90 rate.
At this point with an s I don't know that I'd buy a 2080+ because it's not really needed for the current library.
That said if you don't have a card, 2080 is a nice option, but I'd rather wait til cv3 or whatever it's called and upgrade accordingly.

I'm seriously toying with the idea of trying to return mine. I'm constantly repositioning it on my head because for me the sweet spot is so narrow. The cable bashing my shoulder I have worked around but it makes it awkward to use. For the faff factor of having to mess about with headphones is making the whole experience far less easy. Another issue I've worked out is backlight blead; makes it look like there is fog or smoke in dark situations... I call it smoke screen effect.

If it were just one of those problems I could probably live with it but the lot combine to jar me out of being in VR. It almost feels like I just have a screen strapped to my face, which is exactly what I have been telling people for the last 3 years VR doesn't feel like. The resolution bump is starting to not feel worth the other compromises. I sold my CV1 too! Anyone else less impressed having used the S a bit more?

I reckon a physical IPD adjustment (which I suppose requires 2 screens) and built in headphones would have made the Rift S a far better headset. It is the lack of those two features that ruin an otherwise brilliant piece of technology.

I'm seriously toying with the idea of trying to return mine. I'm constantly repositioning it on my head because for me the sweet spot is so narrow. The cable bashing my shoulder I have worked around but it makes it awkward to use. For the faff factor of having to mess about with headphones is making the whole experience far less easy. Another issue I've worked out is backlight blead; makes it look like there is fog or smoke in dark situations... I call it smoke screen effect.

If it were just one of those problems I could probably live with it but the lot combine to jar me out of being in VR. It almost feels like I just have a screen strapped to my face, which is exactly what I have been telling people for the last 3 years VR doesn't feel like. The resolution bump is starting to not feel worth the other compromises. I sold my CV1 too! Anyone else less impressed having used the S a bit more?

I reckon a physical IPD adjustment (which I suppose requires 2 screens) and built in headphones would have made the Rift S a far better headset. It is the lack of those two features that ruin an otherwise brilliant piece of technology.

Sorry you don't like it. Some people don't, but lets make sure your setup is correct before you sell. I have a few tips, others who know than me can fill in.

Headphones - I've noticed a few people seem to have missed that the Rift itself has a 3.5mm jack on the side. They use the audio outputs on their machine instead. I just plug in a pair of in-ear headphones to the Rift. No faff at all, I think.

Smoke-screen effect: True, this probaly a limitation of the LCD screens. Black won't be truely black, but I found that reducing gamma fixed this in elite dangerous. I drove Gamma all the way down to the lowest setting. Looks great, don't even notice it now.

The small sweet-spot: This might be IPD related. I find personally that the sweetspot is no problem, but I had to experiment quite alot with the IPD settings before I found what worked for me.

Sorry you don't like it. Some people don't, but lets make sure your setup is correct before you sell. I have a few tips, others who know than me can fill in.

Headphones - I've noticed a few people seem to have missed that the Rift itself has a 3.5mm jack on the side. They use the audio outputs on their machine instead. I just plug in a pair of in-ear headphones to the Rift. No faff at all, I think.

Smoke-screen effect: True, this probaly a limitation of the LCD screens. Black won't be truely black, but I found that reducing gamma fixed this in elite dangerous. I drove Gamma all the way down to the lowest setting. Looks great, don't even notice it now.

The small sweet-spot: This might be IPD related. I find personally that the sweetspot is no problem, but I had to experiment quite alot with the IPD settings before I found what worked for me.

Thanks for the tips. I really don’t want to give up on it. Especially when the clarity is so much better than my old rift.

I am using the built in jack but cable kept getting in the way. I’ve tried wrapping it around the headset so hopefully that will improve things on that front. The other issue with the headphones is because the nose gap has gone I have to lift the headset to see the keyboard occasionally which makes the headphones wonky. Thinking about it I should just use voice attack for that issue. I wonder if there is a way to map voice attack to turn the pass through cameras on and off?

Although the IPD issue a bit frustrating I guess the resolution drop of going back to the CV1 would be worse.

I’ll have a play with the gamma though tbh Elite looks great in the Rift S overall. It’s X plane where I’m struggling most. I’m not playing ED much lately, I’m eagerly awaiting next years expansion.

Biggest Issue I have with mine is the face interface.

It's not great.
And I have the occasional light bleed from the top from some slight misalignment in the interface, but nothing elictrical tape wouldn't fix.

But I'm registered for the VRcover alert email for when they come up with something.

That said, I think the S was rushed a bit, and if the stars align I'd be getting the Index as well, if they where ever able to sell one too me.

I’ll have a play with the gamma though tbh Elite looks great in the Rift S overall. It’s X plane where I’m struggling most. I’m not playing ED much lately, I’m eagerly awaiting next years expansion.

I hear you. P3D here and the same issue. In flight sims it gets very dark at night. But in P3D I managed to toy around with the HDR settings to an acceptable level. Daytime is no issue at all.

As for headphones, consider in-ear phones. No rim that goes over your head if you have to take the HMD off. I think you can even make a pair of wireless work. I've seen Bluetooth tramsmitters that you can plug into a headphone jack and connect a pair wireless buds. Or if your wireless card has bluetooth?

I hear you. P3D here and the same issue. In flight sims it gets very dark at night. But in P3D I managed to toy around with the HDR settings to an acceptable level. Daytime is no issue at all.

As for headphones, consider in-ear phones. No rim that goes over your head if you have to take the HMD off. I think you can even make a pair of wireless work. I've seen Bluetooth tramsmitters that you can plug into a headphone jack and connect a pair wireless buds. Or if your wireless card has bluetooth?

Good call, I’ll look into that.

Biggest Issue I have with mine is the face interface.

It's not great.
And I have the occasional light bleed from the top from some slight misalignment in the interface, but nothing elictrical tape wouldn't fix.

But I'm registered for the VRcover alert email for when they come up with something.

That said, I think the S was rushed a bit, and if the stars align I'd be getting the Index as well, if they where ever able to sell one too me.

Yeah, it’s little things that let it down. I keep knocking the adjustment wheel and it’s too tight to put on. I don’t get why it doesn’t pull out to lock the position for example.

A couple of bits of plastic to point the sound from the built in speakers at your ears would help no end. Cup your hand near the speakers and they are much better.. no practical though hehe.

I think the lack of tilt is an issue.

All the HMDs i have owned prior to the Rift S have had the ability to rotate in the vertical plane, not being able to do so in the S is a bit of a pain.

The facial interface/gasket is going in the bin as soon as an alternative is available. Had the same issue with the 5k+. In fact MUCH worse that thing was the most uncomfortable HMD ever, now its super comfy with the DAS and VRCover mods.

My point being, dont lose hope just yet, hold out and see what the aftermarket brings to pimp it out.

I think the lack of tilt is an issue.

All the HMDs i have owned prior to the Rift S have had the ability to rotate in the vertical plane, not being able to do so in the S is a bit of a pain.

The facial interface/gasket is going in the bin as soon as an alternative is available. Had the same issue with the 5k+. In fact MUCH worse that thing was the most uncomfortable HMD ever, now its super comfy with the DAS and VRCover mods.

My point being, dont lose hope just yet, hold out and see what the aftermarket brings to pimp it out.

I think you are probably right and lack of tilt is part of the problem. I didn’t know the CV1 had tilt until I’d had it over a week and was constantly moving that around until I adjusted it correctly for tilt.

Good news though, my PC has Bluetooth on the network card. I didn’t know it did and I had to connect up the usb header I’d missed when building it but it’s working now. I’m gonna order some Bluetooth in-ear headphones and think that will go a long way to improve my experience with the S.

I managed to tilt the HMD downards and have the halo a bit higher up on the back of my head to fix the way the S fits my face and head. Sit very nicely. But I guess not everyone's head is shaped the same so, YMMV. But yeah, I'm waiting for the aftermarket to come up with something. The padding against the face is very uncomfortable for long sessions, but so was the CV1 until I bought upgrades from VR cover.

Last edited:
I guess I'll join in here.

Rift S is my first HMD so I don't have much to compare it to.
Tracking seems to slip sometimes, but usually just early after launching the game and then it calms down. People with external sensor HMDs seem to have the same issue so, I'm hoping a firmware update will fix, but doesn't seem to be unique to the inside-out cam. There's no latency; not sure why anybody thought that would be an issue at all, anyway.

I'm reading that the detail is indeed better, which I appreciate. I can't run any supersampling on my system, but I'm looking forward to a computer upgrade next year or something when I can get some detail up and increase the sampling.

As for the face interface, again I have nothing to compare to, but it seems ok for me. I do wear glasses for some slight astigmatism. I don't need them to see, but I can tell the difference in the headset when I wear them. It's a little clearer when looking dead center, but a little more blurry when I turn my eyes to the outside of my view. The glasses touch the outside corner of the plastic part of the headset. Makes them push a little bit on my nose, so it's more comfortable if I leave them off. But I do have a general slight blurriness (astigmatism) which I think makes my eyes strain over a longer play session. I go back and forth, but generally I think I should be leaving them on. I hope someday I can get a modded part for this that doesn't have that stepped up plastic part on the edge where it meets the facial interface. I think if that was just flat it would fit better over glasses.

I'm not convinced I have the IPD set right.
What can we use to have some kind of adjustment guide for this? I read that there used to be a green line program that would run and help adjust it; why isn't that still part of the oculus home? What am I missing?
I also feel like I might have need for a different setting with and without my glasses. There must be a utility for checking and adjusting this.

What can we use to have some kind of adjustment guide for this?
Tape ruler to mirror. Close right eye, look into left pupil using left eye, line up ruler to zero by moving sideways. Keeping head perfectly still, close left eye and open right eye. Look into right pupil using right eye and read off the ruler directly in line with your right eye pupil.

With how simply "click on, click off" the halo is I'd be surprised if there isn't alternatives very soon.

And I'm also thinking wierd ones.

Like full on helmets for the sim enthusiast.

Heck I might try to 3d print one for lulz if they don't.

Top Bottom