Rift S...

LOL, I didn't bump into or break anything. And I'm not trashing a great set of surround sound headphones with an excellent noise cancelling mic just so I can plug something, which I'd have to buy, directly into the Rift. I'm considering doing the 3D print/Koss modification, just for the convenience, but I'm waiting to see what Oculus does first. It's not that terrible dealing with separate headphones for now.

Anyway, I'm sure the failure was just infant mortality and a coincidence (although the HMD may have died hours earlier for all I know).
Well now you're making me feel like I'm shaming you for wanting surround audio; I didn't mean to -- sorry!
I care, too. I'm using 5.1 speakers as headphones just don't cut it for the immersion. I haven't ever tried true surround headphones (multi-driver) but I assume that would get pretty close.
Some cable ties to make that extra USB join with the Rift S multi-core would be a good solve for the extra cable issue.

That's exactly what I did. Works great. Did the same with my Track IR.

Yup, that was the most obvious solution for me as well.
My mainboard does not support bluetooth and why buy a new headset, if a 7:1 usb headphone with the ability to fit over the Rift-S was already available? I tried earbuds connected to the Rift-S audio port as well, but the cable was simply in the way, while the quality was inferior to the 7:1 headset.

Fix for the white static flashes now available for download in the Public Test Channel if anyone wants to give it a go. I'll download it when I get home this evening.

Fix for the white static flashes now available for download in the Public Test Channel if anyone wants to give it a go. I'll download it when I get home this evening.
My Rift S had its firmware update this morning and after a few hours in Elite, Skyrim & Vader Immortal, I haven’t had a single static flash. Previously, I’d get a few every hour.

Result!

My Rift S had its firmware update this morning and after a few hours in Elite, Skyrim & Vader Immortal, I haven’t had a single static flash. Previously, I’d get a few every hour.

Result!
The update that just published isn't the white flash fix. It has some new features in Home, and controller tracking improvements.

The update that just published isn't the white flash fix. It has some new features in Home, and controller tracking improvements.

Correct. The latest public release does not have the white static flash fix. You have to get the fix from the Public Test Channel by going to Settings > Beta ticking Public Test Channel in the desktop software. Or you can just wait a few weeks until it goes public :)

Forgot to mention ... the static flashes are gone now, at least for me. This was my biggest complaint with the Rift S so I'm a happy camper now. Now if VR Cover would just release their facial interface!

Me too, not a single flash since the PTC update, very nice to spend a couple of hours playing ED in VR without them - the first flash was always within a few minutes of starting the game, then random.

Please tell me - how to take a screenshot of the screen in the game, when you use the helmet Oculus S in virtual reality mode?

Please tell me - how to take a screenshot of the screen in the game, when you use the helmet Oculus S in virtual reality mode?
I use VoiceAttack as I can't find a way to bind F10 to a control. If anyone else has a way I'd be interested too :)
My solution is a shaped cone of BluTack stuck on the f10 key (along with a blob of BluTack on CTRL for hires screenies) - then it’s just a simple case of blindly reaching out, fumbling around on the desk knocking over the occasional drinks container/desktop speaker/monitor until I find the keyboard, then feeling for the nubbin.

(perhaps I should use the passthrough view, now I have a Rift S?)

My solution is a shaped cone of BluTack stuck on the f10 key (along with a blob of BluTack on CTRL for hires screenies) - then it’s just a simple case of blindly reaching out, fumbling around on the desk knocking over the occasional drinks container/desktop speaker/monitor until I find the keyboard, then feeling for the nubbin.

Is the image stored in memory or in a file?

Is the image stored in memory or in a file?
It should go into your PC’s “Pictures” folder, sub-folder “Frontier Developments”, sub-folder “Elite Dangerous”.

Computer>Pictures>Frontier Developments>Elite Dangerous

Edit: last time I took a hires screenshot (CTRL+f10, I think this is limited to Solo) my Point Of View did some crazy spinning around for a few seconds while the shot rendered and saved - best close your eyes if you take one of these :)

Last edited:
Everything is good when playing Elite in virtual reality mode. Only when traveling on the surfaces of planets-sometimes there is a feeling of dizziness. Is that just for me? It is necessary at the time of trips to the planets surfaces to disable virtual reality and to use a normal monitor screen. After takeoff from planets – again to use a helmet and switch to virtual reality.

Everything is good when playing Elite in virtual reality mode. Only when traveling on the surfaces of planets-sometimes there is a feeling of dizziness. Is that just for me? It is necessary at the time of trips to the planets surfaces to disable virtual reality and to use a normal monitor screen. After takeoff from planets – again to use a helmet and switch to virtual reality.
I don’t have a Rift S, but this makes perfect sense. The maximum refresh rate is 80hz, whereas a lot of studies suggest 90hz is the sweet spot for reducing motion sickness. Might want to turn on an FPS monitor and make sure your computer isn’t going into reprojection (i.e running at 40 FPS due to performance issues). That would make anyone a little queasy.

I don’t have a Rift S, but this makes perfect sense. The maximum refresh rate is 80hz, whereas a lot of studies suggest 90hz is the sweet spot for reducing motion sickness. Might want to turn on an FPS monitor and make sure your computer isn’t going into reprojection (i.e running at 40 FPS due to performance issues). That would make anyone a little queasy.
Although the game is outputting 40fps the player is still seeing 80fps due to ASW - in the headset motion still appears smooth but there are graphical artefacts; all I see are occasional wobbly lines on the HUD, or the bulkheads going a bit funny when the pad rotates in the hangar.

The only thing that’s got me queasy on planetary surfaces is using the SRV turret, due to the “maintain horizon” comfort setting not being applied to it. I tried normal driving without that comfort setting and noooooped right back into the settings menu within half a minute.

Although I’ve not been able to tell the difference between the 90fps of my Rift and the 80fps of my Rift S, some people are more sensitive to such things, I’m glad my sea-legs carried over into VR :)

Top Bottom