Rift S...

Rift S, Desktop i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, GTX 1080. 66mm IPD
5 days in and managed a proper long session taking my Viper and then FDL into a RES for some combat.
Wow. What a difference. It's not my 4K screen, but the seamless/natural head look and intuitive feel for direction of travel (mine and opponents) is stunning. That huge sunroof on the FDL really comes into its own :)
Played about 4 hours (couple of short breaks) with the Rift S and that's probably about an upper limit for me I think, comfort and eyestrain wise.
Still the occasional USB issue, so I'm ordering a powered USB3 hub which hopefully sorts that out.
Very occasional hourglass/stutter around station
Still to try this on a planetary surface. But from the experience so far, I can wholeheartedly recommend this headset for Elite.

UPDATE - planetary surface turned out to be totally puke-inducing. First such experience in VR, for me. So back to 2D for that at least.

Last edited:
UPDATE - planetary surface turned out to be totally puke-inducing. First such experience in VR, for me. So back to 2D for that at least.

Do little by little and you may slowly get used to it. There's also a setting somewhere that stabilizes the horizon (i think?) that may ease the motion sickness. Also, don't drive like a maniac. Doing that will surely make it worse, as it would in real life.

Recently I got more used to how the Oculus Tray Tool works. What's been a revelation for me is the settings for Supersampling, and monitoring of ASW. I first noticed how much of a difference Oculus' own SS setting can make when playing Lone Echo. I upped the setting to 1.5, and it's stunning.

I put Elite back on today, first time since the September update (engineering is proper shafted I see). As an experiment, I set the HMD quality to 1.0 in the Dr Kali's ED Profiler, and set the Oculus supersampling to 1.5. It looked great, but even moreso it felt great.

So I went back to my original settings. HMD 1.75, and Oculus SS on 1.0. Parked inside a hangar at Felicity Farseer, I could see ASW was constantly engaged. WHAT??

Yep. I do believe I'd been playing previously with ASW almost always on, due to my settings. I think this may explain why I was getting eye strain playing Elite, while other games weren't giving me a problem.

After putting the settings back to HMD 1.0, and Oculus SS at 1.5, it felt good again. However, I did go to Dav's Hope, and sure enough ASW kicked in when pootling around there. It also kicks in a smidgen here and there when docking. But otherwise, it's mostly off. I have not tested it in planetary rings yet. What's surprising is text is still just as legible as before.

Thing is, I tried testing my old settings with Oculus super sampling at zero. Still constantly in ASW with HMD quality at 1.75.

Recently I got more used to how the Oculus Tray Tool works. What's been a revelation for me is the settings for Supersampling, and monitoring of ASW. I first noticed how much of a difference Oculus' own SS setting can make when playing Lone Echo. I upped the setting to 1.5, and it's stunning.

I put Elite back on today, first time since the September update (engineering is proper shafted I see). As an experiment, I set the HMD quality to 1.0 in the Dr Kali's ED Profiler, and set the Oculus supersampling to 1.5. It looked great, but even moreso it felt great.

So I went back to my original settings. HMD 1.75, and Oculus SS on 1.0. Parked inside a hangar at Felicity Farseer, I could see ASW was constantly engaged. WHAT??

Yep. I do believe I'd been playing previously with ASW almost always on, due to my settings. I think this may explain why I was getting eye strain playing Elite, while other games weren't giving me a problem.

After putting the settings back to HMD 1.0, and Oculus SS at 1.5, it felt good again. However, I did go to Dav's Hope, and sure enough ASW kicked in when pootling around there. It also kicks in a smidgen here and there when docking. But otherwise, it's mostly off. I have not tested it in planetary rings yet. What's surprising is text is still just as legible as before.

Thing is, I tried testing my old settings with Oculus super sampling at zero. Still constantly in ASW with HMD quality at 1.75.

What is this Oculus Tray Tool of which you speak and where do I find it?

Top Bottom