Roadmap leaked??

Yes
I do agree with this but it gets (imo) a harder argument to fall back on when we get space wizards and enchantments (engineers and special effects) and holome which goes against already established lore and a bunch of other niggles which chip at the obviously carefully crafted milky way.
What I don't want to happen for ED is for basically it to always pick the weak option just because it is the "easy to implement" option all the time.

So sure if we are going to have 99.99% of systems essentially the same as each other because it is realistic ... Then keep away from the fantasy tropes and spend a lot of times thinking about internal consistency and semi plausibility (the hallmark of good sci-fi). OR if FD really want to embrace a space fantasy game which is pick up and play and has some nice shinies then I hope they don't use "because unrealistic" when it comes to adding exciting things into space in the game. If we are gonna have space wizards then May as well have space rainbows and unicorns...... (Not my 1st choice) but what I really don't want if for ED to be a box of chocolates where all we get are the dark chocolates, hard caramels and coffee creams just because they are the path of least resistance in terms of Dev time.

(Actually I like dark chocolate and coffee cremes as it happens ;) )

Recent point in question.. crew rescue.
The entire purpose of crew was to give us something to bond with and potentially lose. Perhaps what we had was too cruel but what we have now is just cheap. It could have been so souch better with gameplay involved, with still a chance of loss AND more realistic.

Instead we got click rebuy
Yes. This is the kind of distinction that gets lost in the hyperbole, but it is key. There's this tendency amongst apologists to vaccilate between "it's more realistic!" and "it's a gaaaaaame!" whenever it's
convenient to take either tack, but in either case they're almost always defending design decisions which were made for no other reason than because they're easy to do. And on their own merits, they mostly stink.

I bought into Elite because at the time it was the most tasteful, grounded, classy compromise between 2001-esque 1970s hard sci-fi and rollicking space adventure. Over the years it has become . . . not that. Which could be fine, except that what we have now is a visionless grab bag of derivative me-too features welded onto the vestiges of a deeply eroded hard sci-fi simulation-y type of game, and uh it kind of sucks.

Like hey Frontier if you wanna make Star Fox, go right ahead, but in that case get rid of travel time, give us characters and voice acting and some setpiece battles where we fly inside the alien mothership and blow up the core - otherwise I dont know why youre whittling away at the realistic, grounded, immersively boring ™ aspects of your game, here.

tl, dr: Crew rebuy is bad and we should all feel bad.

Ok accepted it was telepresence I meant(sorry was rushing) The limited range in SLFs is ok (imo) but telepresence undermines the whole game.
As for technology looking like magic in the future... Again accepted ..... Hell you could argue travel in ED equally far fetched and yet I am fine with it. It isn't the power of the engineered weapons per se on their own in a vaccum it is how they don't fit within the rest of the human technology.
It is almost like building a game based around steam engines, sail boats and cannons and then over night introducing air craft carriers, jet fighters and machine guns.

We have it now and there will be no going back BUT my point is all of the jarring stuff added to the game imo erodes against the argument of building around science and trying to make the game feel (a little bit) like a sim. I will have fun with it regardless of if space fantasy or science fiction but I just hope FD don't pick the worst bits from both sides.
They have an amazing ability to pick the worst of both worlds. It's called "exciting". :)

I bought into Elite because at the time it was the most tasteful, grounded, classy compromise between 2001-esque 1970s hard sci-fi and rollicking space adventure. Over the years it has become . . . not that. Which could be fine, except that what we have now is a visionless grab bag of derivative me-too features welded onto the vestiges of a deeply eroded hard sci-fi simulation-y type of game, and uh it kind of sucks.
Well, this is pretty much where I am with Elite Dangerous now too. I still play it occasionally but it doesn't seem to me that it's been growing and improving over time... more like expanding but diluting - like the developers have lost any real sense of where they're going with it.
I hope this 'new era' brings something special.

.. it doesn't seem to me that it's been growing and improving over time... more like expanding but diluting - like the developers have lost any real sense of where they're going with it.
Yeah i'm thinking it's not a road map we should be demanding, but a vision statement: just what IS Elite: Dangerous in the minds of the designers, and where are we going.

I'm happy to accept hard space-sim or rollicking space adventure, just pick a side and then message that to us. Meaningfully.

Yeah i'm thinking it's not a road map we should be demanding, but a vision statement: just what IS Elite: Dangerous in the minds of the designers, and where are we going.

I'm happy to accept hard space-sim or rollicking space adventure, just pick a side and then message that to us. Meaningfully.
It's something in between. It's not a hard space-sim, because we don't have 100% realistic space flight due to various limitations on maneuverability and speed.

Well, this is pretty much where I am with Elite Dangerous now too. I still play it occasionally but it doesn't seem to me that it's been growing and improving over time... more like expanding but diluting - like the developers have lost any real sense of where they're going with it.
You're entitled to your opinion. When comparing vanilla ED with the current version it's a lot better. See this wiki page for a list of improvements over the years.

Last edited:
It's something in between. It's not a hard space-sim, because we don't have 100% realistic space flight due to various limitations on maneuverability and speed.

You're entitled to your opinion. When comparing vanilla ED with the current version it's a lot better. See this wiki page for a list of improvements over the years.
Definite improvements in some areas, we didn't even have wingmates at launch however some balance changes have been steps back imo

Definite improvements in some areas, we didn't even have wingmates at launch however some balance changes have been steps back imo
Well, for one. There is a big difference in using skill versus grind mechanics. So what if we do things 100 times when after the 10th time you're already tired of the mechanic.
Balancing will probably end up being dependent on the multiplayer setting since players can affect each other in different ways. I agree with you we have not seen much in terms of balancing in the short term and at this point long term.
All the skill required in the game depends on what mode you pick and what tasks you set out to accomplish. Those are your easy, medium and hard skill selections. For some the game can be too hard, and for others the game is too easy.

So people should not ask for change they should simply stop playing... OK!
If you* don't like the game there is not much point in asking for improvements. If you* do like the game and provide constructive feedback it's a different thing, you* should still expect some people to disagree though simply because everyone has different preferences.
If you* would not like the game it's just weird to haunt the forums, pretty creepy stalker behaviour in my opinion.

*not the you you, the other you.

Ok accepted it was telepresence I meant(sorry was rushing) The limited range in SLFs is ok (imo) but telepresence undermines the whole game.
As for technology looking like magic in the future... Again accepted ..... Hell you could argue travel in ED equally far fetched and yet I am fine with it. It isn't the power of the engineered weapons per se on their own in a vaccum it is how they don't fit within the rest of the human technology.
It is almost like building a game based around steam engines, sail boats and cannons and then over night introducing air craft carriers, jet fighters and machine guns.

We have it now and there will be no going back BUT my point is all of the jarring stuff added to the game imo erodes against the argument of building around science and trying to make the game feel (a little bit) like a sim. I will have fun with it regardless of if space fantasy or science fiction but I just hope FD don't pick the worst bits from both sides.
Telepresence is not that bad. It's simply a hologram (already have that with the HUD, definetely not lore breaking) and some remote control. Sure, why can we use remote control over several hundred ly's but not transfer exploration data and stuff? No idea, probably for game play reasons. But this inconsistency was already in the game since Galnet and basically everything else. The question is, why do we even need to fly our ships if we could just use telepresence instead? Maybe this will make more sense when space legs arrive.

If you* don't like the game there is not much point in asking for improvements. If you* do like the game and provide constructive feedback it's a different thing, you* should still expect some people to disagree though simply because everyone has different preferences.
If you* would not like the game it's just weird to haunt the forums, pretty creepy stalker behaviour in my opinion.

*not the you you, the other you.
Not entirely following you here, I can't remember saying I don't like the game or I've never liked the game, I have two full price purchases (Standard Elite and the Horizons Expansion) I say full price because they were bought at release, I have 2000 hours on the game and I thoroughly enjoyed those hours, nothing there to indicate that I'm a hater, or a person that dislikes the game.
The fact that I don't play now is simply down to an unfortunate and thoughtless change in the way we explore and get 'TAGS'
I don't like the 'AUTOTAG' introduced in the 3.3 update, it leaves a trail of unfinished business (that would not have been recorded previously) behind me and I don't want that, the previous four years of play saw me with an all or nothing exploration approach and that was how I enjoyed it, so I don't play now because I don't enjoy the new way!

That said, as a member of the forums I am at full liberty to post here on a game that I have 2000 hours playing, and if there is any constructive criticism and future change that may affect my enjoyment of the game I'll participate... as I am currently allowed to.

Changes that could occur to allow me to enjoy the game wouldn't necessarily be solely those discussed in this thread, and were some of those introduced and a optional 'AUTOTAG' off/on setting I'd be ecstatic.

Top Bottom