Roadmap leaked??

If FPS content is "Space Legs," can basebuilding content be "Space Legos"?
Heh, I thought of base legs a bit back, but space legos has a nice ring to it.

I'd be fine with just walking around my ships, stations, and existing ground stations for a change of POV from time to time. Well that, and getting a martini in Jaques Bar in Jaques Station. He still owes me one from the Repair Jaques Station CG.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was already posted but base building would require a dedicated server.

With the current structure, all player owned items like ships and SRV disappear when the player logs out.
So if player 1 would build a base somewhere and then log out, the base would also disappear. Problem is now that if player 2 would build a base in the same spot while player 1 is offline and then player 1 would log in, there would be two bases overlapping each other.

So without a dediacted server which saves all the bases build in the galaxy, I do not see bases or other "permanent local objects" possible.
Yeah your concern was posted by others already. It's wrong, though. Check out No Man's Sky for one example of a solution to basebuilding in a primarily P2P game. There's probably plenty of other ways to make basebuilding work and none of it requires Frontier switch their entire game over to a client/host system.

As long as we're theorycrafting basebuilding game design solutions: what about secret underground bases/mines? You would pick a site for your base but it would just be a camouflaged opening in the ground with a landing pad inside, which would reveal itself when you fly your ship close to the site ala The Batcave. All base building is done underground in its own instance which no other players ever have to see or synchronize with in any way. The base doesn't "exist" except for when the owner is in the instance.

Not necessarily my first choice but it allows for most of the benefits of base building play mechanics without having to worry so much about instancing, griefing, lewd towers, etc.

I don't see any issues with adding another dedicated server ( especially when ED is hosted on Amazon ) , these already exist in the ED infrastructure, for example, a separate mission server.

Why would the base have to disappear when you log out? Doesn't occur on other multi-player games. There's no reason why they'd be persistent and therefore no issues about overlapping bases.

Not sure if this was already posted but base building would require a dedicated server.

With the current structure, all player owned items like ships and SRV disappear when the player logs out.
So if player 1 would build a base somewhere and then log out, the base would also disappear. Problem is now that if player 2 would build a base in the same spot while player 1 is offline and then player 1 would log in, there would be two bases overlapping each other.

So without a dediacted server which saves all the bases build in the galaxy, I do not see bases or other "permanent local objects" possible.

If FPS content is "Space Legs," can basebuilding content be "Space Legos"?

That's a bit too exciting to speculate on. Something that works really well in cobra is going from the rts stamping buildings scale down to fully working first person.. its quite impressive in JWE actually.. if frontier gave us basically the same tools in JWE with stamps for the current ground base buildings (davs hope eg), and rocks instead of trees that would be amazing.

Not sure what the point could be though, as ground buildings usually have a purpose in themselves and to things around them. I guess they could invent some sort of capability progression out of these but could be anything.. They're going to have to change the entire economy for soemthing like that to be meaningful?

I can only imagine it being more ship centric.. having personalization of an entire ship rather than a dashboard, then on surfaces being able to pop up temporary campsites or bases with some sort of function.. maybe prospect you some resources while they're up.. and optionally replace the function of limpets with players etc.

Oh wait.. this is probably too ambitious for frontiers ability, but they also have the tech to simulate a ground colonly as well.. if you skinned planet coaster in elite, have the internals managed by the player and only send back to the bgs high level stuff like the states and numbers of missions completed etc.. That's a bit too dreamy though, and a teeny tiny minor patch generates 128 pages of bug reports apparently.. best left that alone.

Last edited:
Oh god, I hope this doesn’t lock functional content for bases and ships behind a paywall! This game will take a huge dump if it goes this route.

I do love the idea of getting out of my seat and wandering around my ships, though. Hopefully there is gameplay around repairing or reloading your ship while in super cruise assist mode!
Why are you opposed to paying for the game? Are you expected to go to work for free?

Hello Games could do it in No Man's Sky and it seems now their main attraction, so if FD decides to do it they can for sure. I'm not sure this is on their priority list, but it's not on mine.

Hehe, no worries. I agree the territorial element is a bit of a wasted opportunity (and still, lots of commanders thoroughly enjoying the BGS as is, bugs and all, etc). But we shouldn’t forget there is probably a very significant amount of emergent gameplay, or otherwise player generated activities, coming from non territorial elements such as DW2, Fuel Rats, IDA, Canonn, racers/rallies and a large etc
Before Elite Dangerous I always thought of emergent gameplay as a positive thing.... However I have seen what the majority in ED seem to consider "emergent" and you know what, I would much rather NPC's provide me contextual sensible content and leave the emergent stuff for other games ;)

Regarding planet surface erosion etc whilst it may be hard to do scientifically accurately personally I am happy if they fudge is so long as it looks cool. I mean I think the "think about the science" horse has well and truly bolted, we have holograms able to be instantly updated a cross the galaxy , we have space wizards with healing lasers... So IF FD can do it properly in the stellar forge then great, but if they can't then I say let's have some of the positives of a space fantasy game then and just put in cool looking stuff regardless of if it is 100% accurate or not.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Before Elite Dangerous I always thought of emergent gameplay as a positive thing.... However I have seen what the majority in ED seem to consider "emergent" and you know what, I would much rather NPC's provide me contextual sensible content and leave the emergent stuff for other games ;)

Be that as it may, weather you like or not and weather you want to call it emergent, player generated or otherwise, what I mean is that all those activities and initiatives I cited above (and quite a few more) seem to be part of the core gameplay that has underpinned Elite lifetime and made it last so far since launch.

Last edited:
Be that as it may, weather you like or not and weather you want to call it emergent, player generated or otherwise, the truth is all those activities and initiatives I cited above (and quite a few more) seem to be part of the core gameplay that has underpinned Elite lifetime and made it last so far since launch.
indeed... sorry i was not trying to argue with you......... and all of the things you cited are certainly positive influences on the game it was just a light hearted remark (albeit grounded in my experiences) that my personal experiences of emergent gameplay when playing ED were far less positive.

what ever gameplay comes next in 2020, i really hope it is not reliant on other players and at least has options to enjoy it without them. As it stands i give that a 50:50 chance of happening, and a 50:50 chance of it having to be done with other players.

(so lets imagine it is base building.... will it be like in NMS, or will it be like in Ark Survival Evolved.?)

Compare Star Citizens Reddit with EDs: they are almost the same- screenshots and people saying how great it is to finally own ship X. Players of both games only talk about pretty screenshots which to me suggests a major lack of content and features in ED and that SC is still years from a game.

Why are they not talking about when the Guardians finally came back and forced us to choose them or the Thargoids? Or the fight for survival when Thargoids ripped apart a megaship with them in it? Or when a Power leader said and did something morally ambiguous? The reason being no-one talks about anything else is that what else is produced is weak with no context or meaning. Lore has essentially died in ED, it used to be interesting but now is reduced to sound bites and small stories. Lore should be ongoing, with simultaneous stories each day drip feeding us details about the game and the world.

I don't want to come across as a doom monger because I don't believe ED is doomed. What makes me angry is the wasted opportunities which are right in front of the devs.

The biggest problem with Elite's lore is that it was non-existent at release. Lore has been added over time, which means only people who were interested in it invested their time in it. Those who weren't interested in it never saw or heard anything about the lore. And the small stories that makes up the lore are just so disconnected to the core gameplay that no one will ever know about anything, other than ships and mechanics.

However, I do find the new news recordings really helpful for us that aren't invested in the plot.
Thumbs up for that.

Sorry but this is simply not true. There is already plenty of persistent data in ED which is certainly not saved on the player client instances. So there is a back end running somewhere, and from what I've read somewhere, it's in AWS. From that angle, base building would be just some more data in a hugely scalable back end, no big deal.

It's the front end work here that's the big undertaking. But certainly doable.

Last edited:
Why are they not talking about when the Guardians finally came back and forced us to choose them or the Thargoids?
1. Guardians are extinct. They didn't come back. We just found their ruins.
2. We didn't get a choice to side with the Thargoids.

I remember CCP estimating that to build a Titan in Eve Online would take 4-6 months and thousands of players. In the end iirc it took 2-3 weeks...easy enough to design out of by relating materials required to "real world" volumes i.e. if there's a million tons of aluminum in a base, then it takes a million tons of aluminum...
Except in EVE you can see the pits of humanity, a game of intrigue and betrayal from within, worse than Game of Thrones at their best. Months of infiltration just to take revenge on a single person, people camping others for months JUST TO DESTROY THAT ONE TITAN!!! As you said, it takes months to build a titan and thousands of players. And some players make it their goal to destroy them because they can. How would you feel as the owner of the titan, having worked on it for 4-6 months, they jump you, inhibit your jumping and blow you away - Because they can - how would you feel?

Hello Games could do it in No Man's Sky and it seems now their main attraction, so if FD decides to do it they can for sure. I'm not sure this is on their priority list, but it's not on mine.
I was never really interested in base building either. My goal was always to get into my dream ship, buy the necessary upgrades and engineer it. Now that I've done it, I don't really have a goal anymore. I log in, do some scenarios or missions and log out again. Suddenly base building doesn't seem so stupid anymore.

Except in EVE you can see the pits of humanity, a game of intrigue and betrayal from within, worse than Game of Thrones at their best. Months of infiltration just to take revenge on a single person, people camping others for months JUST TO DESTROY THAT ONE TITAN!!! As you said, it takes months to build a titan and thousands of players. And some players make it their goal to destroy them because they can. How would you feel as the owner of the titan, having worked on it for 4-6 months, they jump you, inhibit your jumping and blow you away - Because they can - how would you feel?

Straying into theorycrafting even further - very good points, but it doesn't change the level of industry that players can exert in a game space. If FDev make the bases destructible in some way, then players will destroy them regardless of whether they take 5 minutes or 5 months to make. Nor will it matter how convoluted you make the destruction - I've FC'ed/co-FC'ed on station destruction and fleet ops in Eve and the level of tactical (and strategic) co-ordination displayed is remarkable (I know some ex and serving military guys like to use it for this purpose), so its not always a case of random ganking/joker style "watching the world burn".

So the original point still stands i.e. I hope FDev know what they are letting themselves in for with base building and design accordingly.

Hopefully if base building does come, then it is modular, so you can build an "Obi-Wan Kenobi" single man dwelling/landing pad in a few days effort or a larger base/structure using the kind of fleet/alliance co-ordination Eve displays. Provided you can "stealth"/camouflage the smaller structures in some way then I'm sure they'll remain largely hidden amongst the 400 billion star systems (approx 2.4 trillion landable planets) we have today.

Straying into theorycrafting even further - very good points, but it doesn't change the level of industry that players can exert in a game space. If FDev make the bases destructible in some way, then players will destroy them regardless of whether they take 5 minutes or 5 months to make. Nor will it matter how convoluted you make the destruction - I've FC'ed/co-FC'ed on station destruction and fleet ops in Eve and the level of tactical (and strategic) co-ordination displayed is remarkable (I know some ex and serving military guys like to use it for this purpose), so its not always a case of random ganking/joker style "watching the world burn".

So the original point still stands i.e. I hope FDev know what they are letting themselves in for with base building and design accordingly.

Hopefully if base building does come, then it is modular, so you can build an "Obi-Wan Kenobi" single man dwelling/landing pad in a few days effort or a larger base/structure using the kind of fleet/alliance co-ordination Eve displays. Provided you can "stealth"/camouflage the smaller structures in some way then I'm sure they'll remain largely hidden amongst the 400 billion star systems (approx 2.4 trillion landable planets) we have today.

Hopefully, it could also provide a usefull and 'much needed' credit sink, as for attempting to have a destructible base survive in the quagmire of open... Nah, I'll build in PG or not at all, and if it's not at all then let's hope there's something to interest me... when the fun stops, stop!

1. Guardians are extinct. They didn't come back. We just found their ruins.
2. We didn't get a choice to side with the Thargoids.

indeed, Eve is a game i have zero interest in playing, and the above touches on multiple reasons why.

Top Bottom