Roadmap leaked??

My curiosity with legs is whether they'll fix the appearance of scale in non vr mode finally. From the various YouTube demos of elite in unreal, it's certainly possible via different parameters... and the difference is so dramatic you want to say the non vr game is strongly broken in comparison.

I hope they make the situation better.. though how they can resolve that with the spaceship game I have no idea. The large panel hud will have to be replaced.

Braben has said a lot of things including the thrill of flying to station floating in gas giants. His (obsolete) speeches and the reality of what they can/want actually do with the game have taken a very different path.

And yet, even a stopped clock...

Another enquiry that was quite popular was the ability for players to be able to build their own ships, space stations or even buildings at a later stage. Again, this is something that we’d like to do but would take a huge amount of consideration and time to fully implement:

Sandy: You will be able to make certain modifications to your ship, but certainly we will not have player build ships/stations/buildings in release 1. This will happen – but the specific timing and content is up for discussion.

Just found that one. Added to my list of speculative base building references ;)

(And yeah, they are all speculative. I think your presumption that everything said on game expansion directions is now definitely obsolete is excessive though... ;))

I just wish they would give some info on what is being done, we don't need detail. but some good news would be nice.

Inb4 someone says that FDev owes nothing to you and would not benefit for managing expectations, maintain interest in the game. You'll play preorder it no matter what. Also, the player base is so toxic that releasing any info, roadmap, trailer, whatever would only spark hate and other uncontrolled emotions.

I for one agree with you. :)

Thankfully FDev have said that they won't release space legs without gameplay. So your fears should be somewhat allayed.

Yes, I've seen that. Unfortunately, we have FD's past record of releasing content that lacks game play.

What is FD's definition of gameplay is enough gameplay - being able to go to a bar in order to pick up missions, and recruit pilots? I fear space legs won't contain enough meat depth.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen that. Unfortunately, we have FD's past record of releasing content that lacks game play.

What is FD's definition of gameplay is enough gameplay - being able to go to a bar in order to pick up missions, and recruit pilots? I fear space legs won't contain enough meat depth.
What content would that be?

From the various YouTube demos of elite in unreal, it's certainly possible via different parameters... and the difference is so dramatic you want to say the non vr game is strongly broken in comparison.

You can see a big difference just by switching from the cockpit view to the cockpit cameras. The default view looks like it's shot through a long lens, while the camera views use a wide lens - just compare the view of the atseroids in a ring from one to the other. In the camera views, those rocks look huge.

But most everything seems to be scaled for the cockpit view, so things inside the ship would look strange, widely spaced, and oversized if the view were to shift.

Thankfully FDev have said that they won't release space legs without gameplay. So your fears should be somewhat allayed.

Well yeah, they also said planetary landings wouldn't be height maps with little on the surface, and that of course there would be lots of things to do.

If you agree that they managed that is a matter of opinion.

Well yeah, they also said planetary landings wouldn't be height maps with little on the surface, and that of course there would be lots of things to do.

If you agree that they managed that is a matter of opinion.
I don't ever remember them saying they wouldn't be height maps.

There are things to do on the surface, but I agree there needs to be more.

Exactly what? If can't tell me what didn't include gameplay or reasons to do gameplay, then your post is wrong.
Exactly what? An example of the level of game play that FD would probably find suitable to release Space Legs with.

For the regular gamer, this would be an unacceptable level of game play.

PS. My post would 'not be wrong' because obviously you are expecting a different answer than I intended to provide.

I don't ever remember them saying they wouldn't be height maps.

There are things to do on the surface, but I agree there needs to be more.

They said they Wouldn't "just be height-maps" (I think actually, it was Braben saying he would be disappointed if they were "just height-maps") sorry I didn't make what I was referencing clear there.

Example of a few features that have too little game play are:
  • Multicrew - too basic
  • Structures in space that provide zero content - just eye-candy
  • Thargoids: FD promised that there would be other means of interaction and outcomes other than pew pew. This never happened.

Multicrew - comes with gameplay.

Structures in space - many of these come with gameplay and are also things to fight over in the BGS.

Thargoids - still comes with gameplay

Looks like your are wrong on all counts.

Anyway these are all parts of an update with 3-4 months of Dev time. You are comparing that to something that will have over two years of Dev time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom