Roadmap leaked??

They are a PLC and have all that comes with to consider. There's no way they would give concrete info about future projects, just in the same way they haven't for years. People can keep trying to make leaks, but if they're as lazy as this one then it'll be fine :D

Also imo Base Building in Elite is completely pointless because of instancing/modes, let alone making no sense what-so-ever in the context of the game.
I think the base building is probably the one part in the supposed leak that went just too far to be believable.

For me, legs and different types of atmospheric landings would be expected as DLC's since FD HAS to make money in order to keep the lights on. Not everyone wants legs. Not everyone wants to dive into a gas giant but WOULD like to land on some of the worlds/moons with atmosphere. It would make perfect sense to have these released as DLC's and let us choose which "thing" we like. Example: base building. I have no desire for this but if I see others on youtube showing the advantages to having them, I'd give it a go.

With Lagrange clouds here and there, I can see FD is experimenting with "mist" flowing by your canopy. That, to me, means they really want to do at least gas giant atmosphere environments and hopefully space whales.

Like OA says, taking this leak with a grain of salt.

I would be just happy about expansion with (some) atmospheric planets to land/fly/drive/dive in (with or without space legs, just to make universe feel much more alive and open), even with less top graphics if there would be enough variation on PG (or possibility to go for better with good PC, and if consoles can´t handle this maybe no DLC or rather much more light graphics?)

Atmos are long overdue. We should have had at least Mars-like worlds with 0.01% atmo pressure by now. These shouldn't be too complex to make and not require complex weather to look believable & realistic. We were told that atmos won't be part of horizons. Ok we are beyond Beyond now and Horizons officially ended in end 2017. If the 2020 (End of it actually - so effectively 2021) update does not even include mars like worlds then I don't think there is any point in waiting for atmos of any kind. Planetary landings will be limited to airless bodies for the entirety of the franchise. And this is a prospect I am not looking forward to. I am not interested in space legs and base building because I think (and this is my own opinion) this is a big deviation from the scope and type of game that the Elite franchise is known for. I really hope this post turns out to be a troll..

A wise (but sneaky) man once said that the best place to hide a lie is between two truths.

This is probably somebody who did get some information about FDev using it to provide credibility for their own assumptions.

To be brutal, FDev's "100 person team" took two years to produce Horizons and more than a year to produce Beyond.
Unless they're all mainlining Proplus and NZT-48, I can't see them putting together a viable FPS and a base-building system in 18 months as well as rolling out bug-fixes and minor updates at the same time.
Consider that 100 devs are working on ED since 1 year only. During horizons season there weren't so many..

No offense to OA but I don't dig the "we don't know if this is true, but let's talk about it as if it is" spreading of perhaps intentionally placed misinformation. I hope we go further away from this kind of sensational "1st to the story" kind of thing. Again nothing against OA and he's a content provider so I get it.
Totally agree with this

I dont think its real. Base building? I know its been talked about before but no where near as much as Atmos and Space legs, its never struck me as a much desired item.
I cant imagine Fdev introducing this because it would no doubt require them to increase there back end footprint in order to make persistent the stuff people build, ED is P2P and it was no doubt done this way because it lowers Fdevs infrastructure costs.

Im personally not interested in 'Base building'.... like at all. Why sent ED down a NMS direction?

As I said a few months ago, no spending on ED until Atmos comes. I see no point in legs at all. Base building ? ED has the worst local networking I have ever played, sometimes we get 16 in an instance, other times 2 is a push, and even then we are not synced.
Alas, I love this game & I cannot quit, so not giving my billions away :D

Unless elite players could settle for cartonny no mans sky worlds that is.

As someone that has been aching for spave legs in elite since day one i welcome this.

But i know some salty boys here at the forums will get very upset about such a possible change in their spaceship game.
ED is certainly not MY space game and as it happens space legs and base building I could have fun with however that said anyone a bit dissapointed with base building and space legs coming out before the features currently in the game are fleshed out and whilst the DDF still has so many really cool features still missing would have a valid gripe imo

I dont think its real. Base building? I know its been talked about before but no where near as much as Atmos and Space legs, its never struck me as a much desired item.

You'd be surprised how much people enjoy doing busy work like building and crafting in games. The potential to grow new player crowd is huge with such feature.
Myself though is not that great fan of it. It's a cool feature to have but I don't think I will do much with it. But I KNOW others will go nuts on it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again : I think fdev are still sticking to their original plan.

The original plan (kickstarter page?) had airless planetary landings (horizons), fps in ship and station, basic atmospheric landings, then the more complex atmospheres and fps on those etc. I think that was the sequence, although it did say the list wasn't necessarily in sequence but it made sense it would be the plan.

What's changed I think is just the delivery - rather than incremental updates like horizons, it looks like the 2020 update will be a complete update rather than the start of a season. So I do believe on the plan the basic FPS comes first, before atmospheres, but I think those bundled together would make sense for the 2020 update. With more complex atmospheres obviously for much later.

And nowhere as far as I can remember was there anything ever mentioned about base building. So it won't happen imo. And the leak is fake.

But who knows? :)

I'll eat my own hat. No way that's true. How would base building even work with the current persistence and networking and instancing issues the game currently has?

they already inject crafted content into the procedural world. the game doesn't have more persistence simply because it isn't profitable for them, that doesn't mean the option isn't technically there and they can't use persistence on selected items to support their 'living galaxy' thing, which they do. by the same token they can invest just a little more hardware to support another 'killer feature' supposed to bring in another heap of $$$.

just theorizing, i'm making no bets, but that's not a valid reason to rule out base building.

I'll eat my own hat. No way that's true. How would base building even work with the current persistence and networking and instancing issues the game currently has?

FDev have floated base building as a possibility. IE:

On NPC-crewed ships farming for us, building bases and hiring NPCs generally:

Q: My question is, if we can buy multiple ships - will there be any possibility of crewing those ships with computer generated people so you could send ships out to trade on their own. Additionally, if you have enough money, any chance you could actually build a base, buy ships for police duties and such?

A: This is the sort of thing we will look at down the line. We want to avoid the game feeling like 'playing a spreadsheet' though, but these features are certainly on our radar. November 2014 Q&A

On making your own space station out of an asteroid:

One of the things that we have planned where ultimately, probably not at the first release of the game, that players can buy essentially an inflatable space station.

This is where you would buy something that's essentially a box that just fits in one of the biggest ships, completely fills your cargo bay. You take it out, you attach it to a very specific asteroid, or type with the right minerals in it. It melts it, and then inflates it. And then it cools, and you've got a space station. March 2014

On stashing mining machines on planetary surfaces:

You would be able to see heavy industry, craters up close, and ultimately be able to deposit things on the surface (stash cargo or mining machines). June 2014 Q&A

On buying space stations, and possibly ones that generate cash:

Q: Will I be able to buy a shop on a space station so I can get a rolling income while I explore?

A: That is something we have thought about, including buying whole stations as well. Because obviously if you're setting out in the unknown you might be the person that arrives with that Ocellus station... That's something that I want to come with time. Sept 2014 Vid - 23m18s

On owning planetary bases:

Can you conquer planetary bases? Can attack, but can't have your own one. Not yet anyway. Horizons 2015 Q&A

On 'plans for player created content, such as companies or galactic organisations?':

To start with, players are just another commander, trying to make their way in what is quite a hostile galaxy. However, participants can form alliances with other players, and we do have plans down the line for building space stations and so on. May 2014 Interview

See original link for direct sources etc

Well, I've heard the road map includes cultural trading stations where you can watch Powerpoint presentations about Vogon poetry... all from the comfort of your cockpit.
What a time to be alive :)

Top Bottom