Roadmap leaked??

Back on track!

svO8VvX.jpg

The thing is for me ED has always been a space ship game to go the way of FPS games and have people running around is going to be weird. However thinking about it if it's done like the rest of it we can just ignore it, for example:

1) don't want to land on planets then simply don't.

2) don't want to drive on them don't buy a SRV

3) don't want to attack Thargoids then ignore NHSS and AX combat zones.

It's all geared for choice if we want to we can BUT it isn't forced upon us. If you don't want to walk about don't leave your ship ;)

On another thing it will give people another way to kill players now, landing on them, crashing into them or running them over. I can see the salt mountains now ;)
The thing is don't you think that is a symptom of one of the biggest issues with ED?. Sure it means you don't have do do anything but the flip side if everything is just a bolted on option then it will for ever be a series of disjointed minigames. I would rather the whole game was fully meshed together even if that means sometimes a mission wrinkle will take an unexpected turn and mean you doing something that you were not planning on.

Space legs would actually make most sense. At least all the cosmetics we have been able to buy for our appearance would finally make sense. What good is that badge on your commander if no one can see it? Or that shiny suit that you bought? Or that limited edition patch?

The thing is don't you think that is a symptom of one of the biggest issues with ED?. Sure it means you don't have do do anything but the flip side if everything is just a bolted on option then it will for ever be a series of disjointed minigames. I would rather the whole game was fully meshed together even if that means sometimes a mission wrinkle will take an unexpected turn and mean you doing something that you were not planning on.
That is how it should work and I see no reason why it can't with an optional expansion of Space legs. All the client/server needs is to add in the chance for different wrinkles depending on what expansion you have (this can be applied to other parts of the game too) and then it looks like it is a seemless part of the main game, just like planetary landings that we have now seem seemless to the main game.

That is how it should work and I see no reason why it can't with an optional expansion of Space legs. All the client/server needs is to add in the chance for different wrinkles depending on what expansion you have (this can be applied to other parts of the game too) and then it looks like it is a seemless part of the main game, just like planetary landings that we have now seem seemless to the main game.
Mission system needs to recognise if you have system permits as well...

FPS-style space legs would be just fine by me.

Indeed I'd take great delight in letting people get within touching distance of their ships before popping heads. Then moving onto the next little lamb who's completely oblivious and unaware of their surroundings.
While I would like combat to be a part of any FPP gameplay, I wouldn't want it to be its focus. It should be just something you can do if you so wish.

Not really - it just makes you "mission unavailable" due to criteria not met. Like Ship too large if you want to pick a mission to hutton in a large ship.
Yes really. Ever seen a mission with a destination in a permit locked system?

Even after you have the permit they still don't seem to exist...

It's not really a problem, you can tell by the way Frontier allow it to be put on their forum and don't bother to reply.
They can't really reply to or comment on rumors like this.
FDEV is a publicly listed company. Any information that can influence stock price has to be given to the market first.
Commenting on, confirming or denying all or parts of the leak would probably violate that rule.
Also, any comment is likely to reduce their flexibility to adjust course as things progress. There is no guarantee that whatever they are developing for late 2020 release is going to pan out as expected.
The Best thing to do is to leave it alone and let it run its course, which I believe they are doing.

Whether it's meaningful or not is down to the individual. Designing and building your own base can be meaningful for that individual. Remember, this is supposedly coming out with space legs, which could be very meaningful.

Normally I would not feel that entitled to tell what people prefer, but I rarely if ever seen any post craving for player owned locations. In other words, I think people prefer loads of other stuff that could improve the space legs experience basically anywhere in the galaxy, oppsed to an improvement that is limited to a single point.

It's a personal irritation that after five years Elite Dangerous is still inferior to Frontier in some aspects, that there has been no advance in the type of planets that can be landed on. That, in my opinion, is most unwelcome.

By far the biggest issue with this game, yes.
Frontier did not learn the fact (for those who are offended by the choice of words: IMHO) that improved procedural content trumps hand crafted content value, especially given how solid the Stellar Forge is. Atmospheric vistas would power the ED Subreddit for years, while new handcrafted stuff like blobs in space and walking up to a spacecraft in a hangar is interesting only for weeks.

Normally I would not feel that entitled to tell what people prefer, but I rarely if ever seen any post craving for player owned locations. In other words, I think people prefer loads of other stuff that could improve the space legs experience basically anywhere in the galaxy, oppsed to an improvement that is limited to a single point.
I dont expect space legs will be there just for planetary bases (if it comes that is). Planetary bases will just be another feature that space legs can be used for. There have a lot of people asking about making their own bases. Personally I am not that bothered, but if others want them, then thats fine by me. It may be something I will consider in the future though. Basically, even though I probably won't create one myself, I have no objections to having them added.

By far the biggest issue with this game, yes.
Frontier did not learn the fact (for those who are offended by the choice of words: IMHO) that improved procedural content trumps hand crafted content value, especially given how solid the Stellar Forge is. Atmospheric vistas would power the ED Subreddit for years, while new handcrafted stuff like blobs in space and walking up to a spacecraft in a hangar is interesting only for weeks.
While I agree that Frontier had more stuff like atmospherics, to make atmospherics in a modern game and to make them look as good as possible, it will take far longer to achieve then what we had in Frontier.

I am still hopeful that the next expansion will be atmospherics, or that atmospherics will come at the same time. I would have thought that it will be different teams working on planet surfaces and the space legs part.

Could you be a bit more specific about this?
Currently we have generic missions: text wall, $task, $reward1 $reward2, $reward3, where $task is picked from fetch, kill, mine, deliver.
There is nothing hand crafted about this, this is 99.9% of all missions. and they are as generic as it gets. Hand crafted missions would have an impact on the bubble, something you can make a difference. None of the missions you do matter. Fine, you might move the faction into a different state, you might gain reputation. But what's the difference? Doesn't make ANY difference! At all!!
Here are some examples how it WOULD make a difference - take the not too recent event where they snatched a 100MT nuke. You could have helped them obtaining it. You could have helped them detonate it - the station would be destroyed. No more whatever station it was. Difference!
You sabotage a shipyard, or multiple shipyards and ship prices go up, together with rebuy costs, as the ships cost more bubble wide! Major difference!
Make stations not indestructible, and lay siege to them. Kill off the turrets, destroy the landing pads, station gets damaged, eventually destroyed. Small to major difference!
You lay siege to a system, kill the ships trying to dock, prices on said station for all commodities skyrocket, eventually famine or chaos breaks out, Food cartridges will be paid several 10'000/t. Massive difference to that system! If it's exporting rare commodities, said commodity would fetch even higher prices. Difference!

THIS would have an impact on the BGS.

I dont expect space legs will be there just for planetary bases (if it comes that is). Planetary bases will just be another feature that space legs can be used for. There have a lot of people asking about making their own bases. Personally I am not that bothered, but if others want them, then thats fine by me. It may be something I will consider in the future though. Basically, even though I probably won't create one myself, I have no objections to having them added.

While I agree that Frontier had more stuff like atmospherics, to make atmospherics in a modern game and to make them look as good as possible, it will take far longer to achieve then what we had in Frontier.

I am still hopeful that the next expansion will be atmospherics, or that atmospherics will come at the same time. I would have thought that it will be different teams working on planet surfaces and the space legs part.

Obviously I have no objections stuff I don't have to use, I only think it is a waste of time vs. other, more exciting stuff that could be added instead.
After years of stale development, I don't have the slightest hope that they can do atmospherics AND space legs at the same time. I guess legs is like developing a new game with the added burden of making it work in the existing framework.
But I do agree, atmospheric flight would be the best to have, to me the only major benefit of spacelegs is that stations won't look like ghost towns anymore.

Could you be a bit more specific about this?
Currently we have generic missions: text wall, $task, $reward1 $reward2, $reward3, where $task is picked from fetch, kill, mine, deliver.
There is nothing hand crafted about this, this is 99.9% of all missions. and they are as generic as it gets. Hand crafted missions would have an impact on the bubble, something you can make a difference. None of the missions you do matter. Fine, you might move the faction into a different state, you might gain reputation. But what's the difference? Doesn't make ANY difference! At all!!
Here are some examples how it WOULD make a difference - take the not too recent event where they snatched a 100MT nuke. You could have helped them obtaining it. You could have helped them detonate it - the station would be destroyed. No more whatever station it was. Difference!
You sabotage a shipyard, or multiple shipyards and ship prices go up, together with rebuy costs, as the ships cost more bubble wide! Major difference!
Make stations not indestructible, and lay siege to them. Kill off the turrets, destroy the landing pads, station gets damaged, eventually destroyed. Small to major difference!
You lay siege to a system, kill the ships trying to dock, prices on said station for all commodities skyrocket, eventually famine or chaos breaks out, Food cartridges will be paid several 10'000/t. Massive difference to that system! If it's exporting rare commodities, said commodity would fetch even higher prices. Difference!

THIS would have an impact on the BGS.

I am not an authority in technical stuff, but the mission system and additional content are two separate things, and for starter the mission system is not procedural. I agree, that the mission system is flawed, but it isn't my primary issue with the game.

What I meant is that aside of the rich lore and the great flying mechanics, Elite's greatest asset is the Stellar Forge which received little attention. We could have got properly bobbling giant stars, various iterations of black holes with accretion disks that are actually dangerous and we could have got access to atmospheric worlds that could bring a lot of additional gameplay and fantastic new environments, vistas.

Obviously one of the best gameplay aspect would be flying dynamics in various atmospheric environments - as flying is the best part of ED.
Having said that, at the moment I have no expectations at all that this will be delivered, at the very least not in this iteration of Elite.

Top Bottom