Roadmap leaked??

It's easy to jump to a conclusion that base building is on planets, but that could easily be Fleet Carriers in space, and would make more sense in the light of what we have been told already.

Either way a decent gameplay addition and finally a credit sink for the billionaires of elite

I was thinking this leak was a fake until I received the Planet Coaster Ghostbuster update newsletter on my email adress a few hours ago. All information mentioned in this leak have been confirmed until now. We'll see with the next JWE DLC, but the terrain tools have already been confirmed (decoration), so it looks more and more legit for me. I would say 80%, and 95% if Claire DLC is following.

It would also explain why we won't get big updates for Elite until late 2020. We already know the game was designed from the ground up with space legs in mind. We even have official artworks of some ships' interiors and layouts. Space legs would be doable on the current gen of consoles, but I doubt atmospheric planets could, so it is logical to start with them and then wait for next gen. We already know PS5 will be announced this year, so it could come out in 2020. Auto cruise introduced in the latest update is another step in this direction, as we would need our ship to follow its route when we are not in the pilot's seat. We also know that some form of space legs and the in-game assets for deploying seats, lifts and doors are ready for a while now (see the Krait introduction video, rendered with the in-game engine, and Braben's declaration on space legs).

I'm happy to say (or write?) that I can finally trust this leak and I am waiting for space legs. I would even be happy with no gameplay at all, just visiting my spaceship. It would be something else to do while in supercruise. Agreed it would get old fast, that's why they have been (and still are) waiting so long to make it happen.

What do you think about it?

It's also conceivable that the supposed leak was based on partial info, as others have mentioned. ie the next 6 months worth of content, possibly even information coming not from fdev at all as claimed but wider games industry/retail some of whom likely know everything that has so far been 'confirmed' from the 'leak' ...

The thing is, if you want to sell a lie as believable, surround it with truths. Even if every other claim in the leak would be accurate, that still wouldn't mean the remaining would have to be.

That said, what has me thinking that it actually will be space legs is how Frontier has talked about the next expansion representing a new era for the game. I don't think atmospheric landings alone would have them say such things.
However. I see space legs as only getting a new kind of "vehicle" to go around in, and a smattering of new hand-crafted places to visit. I would much prefer to have the galaxy expanded, with even further improved procedural generation - that would be atmospheric planets.

Either way, unless the next expansion will be both space legs and atmospheric flight, a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

To paraphrase the CIA,
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the ED gaming public believes is false."

Or something like that.

I like the fact that Frontier haven't shut this thread down, which is damn decent of them, but it is curious that they haven't jumped in here at all to address this.

They usually jump in to correct incorrect information, misled expectations, etc. If the leak was wrong, they'd most probably have reacted, if it's right, they could only confirm it, directly or indirectly. And, well, we all know where FDev stands regarding early announcements of upcoming content 😜

EDIT: they did repeat long ago that the orrery map had been dropped from the roadmap, and yet they made it, though... I dunno! Leave me alone!

They usually jump in to correct incorrect information, misled expectations, etc. If the leak was wrong, they'd most probably have reacted, if it's right, they could only confirm it, directly or indirectly. And, well, we all know where FDev stands regarding early announcements of upcoming content 😜

EDIT: they did repeat long ago that the orrery map had been dropped from the roadmap, and yet they made it, though... I dunno! Leave me alone!

I don't believe Frontier deliberately misled us about the Orrery; I think that when they said they couldn't do it, they meant it, but further down the line circumstances changed and they realised they could. Probably something to do with the response to the debug screen in Dr Ross' livestream on creating the galaxy - because that is very similar to the Orrery we've been given.

If the leak is correct, I do wonder if other companies would take ownership of the leak and get ahead of the information - maybe in this case, dropping by to confirm that the leak is real, but maybe that it represents only crude representation or small part of what is coming, and then put together an official post or series of official posts giving more detail, either using it to drum up hype for something they're going to announce "soon" (read: sooner than they expected because the leak pushed their timetable up, but still in the realm of a few months), or doing deep dives into some of the things they're working on.

I just don't like Frontier's tried-and-tested approach of ignoring this kind of thing entirely; acting like it doesn't exist and trying to drum up hype as if it's not already out there.

It's easy to jump to a conclusion that base building is on planets, but that could easily be Fleet Carriers in space, and would make more sense in the light of what we have been told already.

I hope "Base building" actually means customizing ship and fleet carriers interiors. On planets I just don't see how it would work with how Elite is structured in Open/Solo. And it's hard to see how Frontier would give us a reason to stay in one place, when the whole game is so much focused on travel and exploration.

I was thinking about this earlier and it is possible (remotely, admittedly) that given Fleet Carriers were said to be not locked behind the next batch of paid content, they may be quite bare-boned with little opportunity for customization while actually being the gateway to get people hooked on the concept but anything more in depth will be in the paid content.

I hope "Base building" actually means customizing ship and fleet carriers interiors. On planets I just don't see how it would work with how Elite is structured in Open/Solo. And it's hard to see how Frontier would give us a reason to stay in one place, when the whole game is so much focused on travel and exploration.

Yeah this is most left-field bit, and the bit I'm least excited about on the face of it.

As much as future danglings like dino hunting and dangerous atmospheres all sound like they'd benefit from a 'base camp', the only thing that really occurs right now for non-atmos is a personal mining facility or something. Either automated or pegged to more 'hands on' prospecting and gathering.

(The old base-building quotes do reference station construction etc, so could still be that I guess)

I like the fact that Frontier haven't shut this thread down, which is damn decent of them, but it is curious that they haven't jumped in here at all to address this.
They can't really reply to or comment on rumors like this.
FDEV is a publicly listed company. Any information that can influence stock price has to be given to the market first.
Commenting on, confirming or denying all or parts of the leak would probably violate that rule.
Also, any comment is likely to reduce their flexibility to adjust course as things progress. There is no guarantee that whatever they are developing for late 2020 release is going to pan out as expected.
The Best thing to do is to leave it alone and let it run its course, which I believe they are doing.

See my earlier comment above.
They really can't comment without coming into conflict with their obligations as a publicly listed company. It's either an announcement or nothing. That is how the financial world works.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I just don't like Frontier's tried-and-tested approach of ignoring this kind of thing entirely; acting like it doesn't exist and trying to drum up hype as if it's not already out there.

Asuming the space legs leak is correct (big if, still), my understanding is that for a big product release (like space legs would be) that has the potential to impact the company bottom line significantly (and therefore the share price) there is an obligation to first inform the market via formal communication channels, and usually FDEV has chosen to do it through the London Stock Exchange AIM RNS where FDEV shares are traded.

I also personally think, based on FDEV´s way to market previous products, that this Elite new era specific content details will only by announced at the exact time (and not a minute earlier or later) that FDEV has decided the marketing push will have its best impact on sales. Now, if we use Horizons as reference this means around 4-6 months before launch or so, depending on the way their marketing push plan has been structured. The discipline in this comes from the fact that usually announcing things outside this optimum window may result in poorer sales results and hurt their interests.

You can also verify the corresponding RNS formal announcement of Horizons to the market, if I remember correctly it was released on the same day Horizons was confirmed at Gamescom 2015 on August 5th.

So, if history is to be repeated, I do not think we will see a new era specific content formal announcement or acknowledgement until you see a formal press release at the LSE RNS first. I may be wrong though.

This link describes the process a bit more.

Last edited:
Well well well... despite my initial skepticism, it looks highly possible that space legs is going to be it.

While its something i hoped FD would do later, after atmospherics and other things, it leads me to hope we will be able to get NPC crew in our cockpits at least.

Also i'm looking forward to the reactions on the Star Citizen forums over this, especially since it has been held up as one of the key features that differentiates it from ED. Like every single time "But we've got space legs so SC better"

Well well well... despite my initial skepticism, it looks highly possible that space legs is going to be it.

While its something i hoped FD would do later, after atmospherics and other things, it leads me to hope we will be able to get NPC crew in our cockpits at least.

Also i'm looking forward to the reactions on the Star Citizen forums over this, especially since it has been held up as one of the key features that differentiates it from ED. Like every single time "But we've got space legs so SC better"
Now it will be “But we have atmospheric worlds so SC better”.

Top Bottom