Roadmap leaked??

....as long as it's an airless planet.

remember how SC and NMS treats planets and legs.

All planets are exactly the same. They look different but the atmosphere behaves exactly the same. Gravity is exactly the same. Environments have no effect on equipment. The legs abse base mechanics work exactly the same on every planet in the entire game.

no gas giants. no lava worlds. no amonia planets. they're. all. exactly. the. same.

And this gets very boring after a while, IMO. I've stopped playing the game for various reasons, including this one.

Every world is just a different theme. Now, the procedural generation of the worlds is impressive.

I hope that FD would give their atmospheric planets more dynamics that are missing from NMS.

The tens of thousands (or more) new players that will buy Elite when the space legs base building update is released will greatly compensate for that. There's probably new character, base and ship interior cosmetics.

Base building is a popular feature of No Man's Sky and ED will be more appealing to FPS and SC players.

I think it's a desire of many space sim fans to have their own base on an exotic alien planet.
You mean on airless, flat, empty rock!

And this gets very boring after a while, IMO. I've stopped playing the game for various reasons, including this one.

Every world is just a different theme. Now, the procedural generation of the worlds is impressive.

I hope that FD would give their atmospheric planets more dynamics that are missing from NMS.
I think that's impossible. There can't be 400 trillion ways of making an atmospheric planet and each and everyone so completely different from the other. Just as it is now that the majority of empty planets look the same in Elite, atmo planets will have certain types more common than others. What they can do, however, is if some of the very unique ones are seriously rare. In No Man's Sky, even the rare planets are fairly common, which makes them not so rare. Rare should be rare, which means that a majority of the non-rare planets will be a lot of repetitions.

I think that's impossible. There can't be 400 trillion ways of making an atmospheric planet and each and everyone so completely different from the other. Just as it is now that the majority of empty planets look the same in Elite, atmo planets will have certain types more common than others. What they can do, however, is if some of the very unique ones are seriously rare. In No Man's Sky, even the rare planets are fairly common, which makes them not so rare. Rare should be rare, which means that a majority of the non-rare planets will be a lot of repetitions.

I'm not suggesting that every atmospheric world is totally unique in ED. I'm hoping that the environment, gravity have different effects on the ship, and even space legs.

Or entirely restricted to Carriers. Which in a space game makes perfect sense.
Fleet carriers I am sure will be a free update when they come. Personal bases I would expect to be in a set place. But whether its on a planet or in an asteroid, I pretty sure it will not be like NMS base building. I would expect there to be realistic restrictions and they would be probably be made from set templates for different things, or maybe different types of templates for the different super powers, Imperial, Feds, Alliance/Independants.

I know some people are concerned the the space legs part will be like NMS where the space legs part is like 80-90% of the game. I very much doubt it will be like that, I expect it to be the other way round. Space stuff I hope will be 50-80% of the game while legs will be 20-50% (depending on what you are doing) of the game if you choose to buy the expansion.

I will be very suprised if space legs becomes the default mode. It will be like atmospheric landings and the SRV. My space ship is my main place of operation, I use my SRV probably 5% of the time.

But what if the Panther Clipper was the base?

In that it has one size 20 bay that we 'buy' prefab base chunks and the P. Clipper is the transport section of that?

You are assuming base building is done on planets. They may be asteroid bases in the unused asteroid fields.
I'm not assuming, just replying to Cosmo on his post about base building on "alien exotic planets".
I don't have anything against legs or base building but variety of landable planets rank much higher on my wishlist, after all i bought ED to explore and fly in universe.

I do believe these leaks are legit, at least till some point, i hope leaker saw just glimpse of it and FD will add mars like, lifeless atmo planets in addition to expansion.
Well, only atmo planets will open my wallet, basic atmos with nice re-entry physics and visuals.
S!

I'm not assuming, just replying to Cosmo on his post about base building on "alien exotic planets".
I don't have anything against legs or base building but variety of landable planets rank much higher on my wishlist, after all i bought ED to explore and fly in universe.

I do believe these leaks are legit, at least till some point, i hope leaker saw just glimpse of it and FD will add mars like, lifeless atmo planets in addition to expansion.
Well, only atmo planets will open my wallet, basic atmos with nice re-entry physics and visuals.
S!
I am also hoping that at least basic atmospherics will come at the same time.

I am also looking forward to space legs as long as it's well implemented.

S!
I am also hoping that at least basic atmospherics will come at the same time.

I am also looking forward to space legs as long as it's well implemented.
With the original leak (4chan post has expired) literally saying "Haven’t seen any mention of atmospheric landings." I assume some form of Atmos Planets will be arriving in the New Era update, or soon after. "No atmospheric landings" would have ruled them out until a much later update/expansion.

The leaks contained many specifics of Planet Zoo, PlanCo Ghostbusters, named JWE dinosaurs and DLCs, etc, giving me the impression that their FDev contact (mentioned to be a Technical Artist) is directly involved with those games.

The Elite Dangerous leaks are much more vague, as if the leaker doesn't have direct contact with the Elite Dangerous devteam and is instead relying on hearsay. Supporting this thinking is the leaks have given no details on the next two small updates for Elite Dangerous: first one coming July/August bringing more QoL & New Player improvements, the second end of year with new features/content (the small updates are coming every 3-4 months).

Supporting this thinking is the leaks have given no details on the next two small updates for Elite Dangerous: first one coming July/August bringing more QoL & New Player improvements, the second end of year with new features/content (the small updates are coming every 3-4 months).
Where are the news about these new updates?

I wish FDev would make monthly bugfix releases in-between the quarterly small-feature releases. Perhaps (cue screaming) limited to PC since it's much more involved and expensive making a new console release; those monthly fixes would then be rolled into the quarterlies for console. But there's PLENTY of smaller fixes/tweaks to warrant a more regular update cycle.
Those monthlies could also be used to roll in randomised anti-cheat measures which might tire out the hackers. At present every release is stable for a very long time which makes it easier to map out the program and insert hooks.

if true I see the Jurassic World survival game as perhaps a trial run to develop survival elements for Elite and interaction on atmospheric worlds in the future

Thats just my dream anyway.

Would love to do search and rescue trying to save a crashed commander on a storm ridden Ice Planet before theire supplies runs out!

Where are the news about these new updates?

I wish FDev would make monthly bugfix releases in-between the quarterly small-feature releases. Perhaps (cue screaming) limited to PC since it's much more involved and expensive making a new console release; those monthly fixes would then be rolled into the quarterlies for console. But there's PLENTY of smaller fixes/tweaks to warrant a more regular update cycle.
Those monthlies could also be used to roll in randomised anti-cheat measures which might tire out the hackers. At present every release is stable for a very long time which makes it easier to map out the program and insert hooks.
We don't have any further information than this: the small updates aren't quarterly but are arriving in 3-4 month increments, the next small update is more QoL & New Player improvements, and the one after that will bring new features/content. Official Announcement

Since the last small update was in April, we can expect the next one to arrive in July/August (probably the latter), and one after that in November/December (very likely the latter). Unless FDev notifies us that plans have changed of course.

Your suggestion of monthly bugfix releases is already happening yet on a shorter timeframe (so far): after the April 23rd Update we got Patch 1 on 2nd May (+12 days), then Patch 2 on 13th May (+11 days). Hopefully more are on their way.

Agreed that better anti-cheat measures need to be implemented, and maintained.

Your suggestion of monthly bugfix releases is already happening yet on a shorter timeframe (so far): after the April 23rd Update we got Patch 1 on 2nd May (+12 days), then Patch 2 on 13th May (+11 days). Hopefully more are on their way.
These aren't really regular bugfix updates though; these are emergency patches for major issues. Emergency patches are always dangerous as they can introduce as many issues as they fix; much better to have a regular bugfix cycle which isn't rushed.
Small group of developers and testers goes through backlog of bugs and works through them. When one is finished, it gets pushed into the next monthly minor release for testing. Well, one can dream :) In reality development rarely works like that..

So heres my theory based on nothing at all other than me rubbing tin foil on myself whilst doing witch chants.

2020 will be space legs (obviously...) and will also be the end of vr in elite. The development challenges of locomotion for first person will be high on the "too hard" scale and theyll drop it.

Only FDev knows what kind of effort and cost is involved to support VR, and if you spend a large amount of budget satisfying 10% of your market, that just doesn’t make good business sense.

Maybe they’ll surprise everyone with the next gen consoles supporting VR. Who knows...

Only FDev knows what kind of effort and cost is involved to support VR, and if you spend a large amount of budget satisfying 10% of your market, that just doesn’t make good business sense.

Maybe they’ll surprise everyone with the next gen consoles supporting VR. Who knows...
The water is muddied because Fronteir specifically sell their game on a VR only gamestore.
IF VR was dropped that would make things awkward for those who own it on a VR store.

my hope is absolute worst case scenario is any new stuff not in VR you just get a "please remove your hmd" message when you enter such a mode, OR you have the option to play in VR in a big screen VR kind of way, with a transition like what happens in Hellblade cutscenes, which works well in VR.

(I just realised Hellblade devs (Ninja Theory) are also based in Cambridge so if FD needed some VR - non vr transition advice they have it on hand :) )

But you can have different physical properties. Gravity varies a lot in ED, and it matters. It doesnt in SC/NMS. Same with atmospheric pressure. It isnt about graphics, it is about varying impact on the flight model and such.

Top Bottom