Roadmap leaked??

But you can have different physical properties. Gravity varies a lot in ED, and it matters. It doesnt in SC/NMS. Same with atmospheric pressure. It isnt about graphics, it is about varying impact on the flight model and such.
I would have thought that some atmospheric planets would be off limits as they would be too hazerdous to land on anyway. FDev would need to be very careful in how they implement it. Its not just heat, it is also pressure, acidity, viscosity etc. There would be limits I would have thought to what we can land on.

I would have thought that some atmospheric planets would be off limits as they would be too hazerdous to land on anyway. FDev would need to be very careful in how they implement it. Its not just heat, it is also pressure, acidity, viscosity etc. There would be limits I would have thought to what we can land on.
It’s been a while since I approached a gas giant in Frontier: Elite 2, but didn’t you just eventually explode once the pressure got too much? A similar approach would work for hazardous planets in ED, I think.

Death’ll learn ‘em :)

We can already land on planets that should instantly vaporize our SRV/ship but that doesn't stop us either. :p Driving around on a 10G planet cant be particularly healthy either...

We can already land on planets that should instantly vaporize our SRV/ship but that doesn't stop us either. :p Driving around on a 10G planet cant be particularly healthy either...
10g maybe survivable in the far future. Agreed about the heat of some planets, your Ship/SRV should take serious damage on those planets and you shouldn't be able to stay too long. That would add some interesting gameplay if you are after something specfifc on that planet.

How on Earth have we come from "Roadmap leaked" to "Frontier will drop VR support that's for sure"?
Some users of this forum are priceless.

These people are using VR as the catalyst to push their “I don’t want space legs” agenda. Anything they can grasp onto in order to make an argument for continuing to be a spaceship in a space sim rather than a person in a spaceship in a space sim.

Braben stated early on that we are not simply ships and that getting up had always been part of the plan. Sorry if this is “news” to anyone.

These people are using VR as the catalyst to push their “I don’t want space legs” agenda. Anything they can grasp onto in order to make an argument for continuing to be a spaceship in a space sim rather than a person in a spaceship in a space sim.

Braben stated early on that we are not simply ships and that getting up had always been part of the plan. Sorry if this is “news” to anyone.

So wait your response to the question of continuing vr being a tangent is to suggest we dont want spacelegs? Im all for spacelegs i just wonder how it will work in vr.....

Jeeesus this forum can be hard work

Since this has now become a MegaThread (congrats, OP), we should also take note here of the subject of this discussion:

NPC SRV coming with 4.0?

What is alarming about all the leaks (and I'm all for Legs and NPC-driven vehicles) is that nothing appears to be pointing towards Atmospheric Planets at all. 🤔 ... unless its the SRVs of course.

Since this has now become a MegaThread (congrats, OP), we should also take note here of the subject of this discussion:

NPC SRV coming with 4.0?

What is alarming about all the leaks (and I'm all for Legs and NPC-driven vehicles) is that nothing appears to be pointing towards Atmospheric Planets at all. 🤔 ... unless its the SRVs of course.

I'd love it to mean atmospheric planets (in addition to Space Legs, though I'm easy if it's one or the other), and this is likely my own bias, but I took it as "well with Space Legs we'll need NPCs, and they can't just be standing around, AND if we got them walking around and engaging in combat with us, then it only makes sense that they travel on planets as well"... so I took it as more related to the larger big Space Legs update, and not directly related to atmos.

As part of a potential NPC overhaul I guess, spurred on by the large Space Legs update and the gameplay it'd need to be worth it. It's great if it means they're trying to figure out surface-based content though (and it relates to atmospheric planets), cuz obviously the game has been missing that for years, Space Legs or not.

(Edited minor typos)

NPC SRV coming with 4.0?

Alarming why? I'll happily repeat myself...

With the original leak (4chan post has expired) literally saying "Haven’t seen any mention of atmospheric landings." I assume some form of Atmos Planets will be arriving in the New Era update, or soon after. "No atmospheric landings" would have ruled them out until a much later update/expansion.

The leaks contained many specifics of Planet Zoo, PlanCo Ghostbusters, named JWE dinosaurs and DLCs, etc, giving me the impression that their FDev contact (mentioned to be a Technical Artist) is directly involved with those games.

The Elite Dangerous leaks are much more vague, as if the leaker doesn't have direct contact with the Elite Dangerous devteam and is instead relying on hearsay. Supporting this thinking is the leaks have given no details on the next two small updates for Elite Dangerous: first one coming July/August bringing more QoL & New Player improvements, the second end of year with new features/content (the small updates are coming every 3-4 months).

Alarming why? I'll happily repeat myself...

With the original leak (4chan post has expired) literally saying "Haven’t seen any mention of atmospheric landings." I assume some form of Atmos Planets will be arriving in the New Era update, or soon after. "No atmospheric landings" would have ruled them out until a much later update/expansion.

The leaks contained many specifics of Planet Zoo, PlanCo Ghostbusters, named JWE dinosaurs and DLCs, etc, giving me the impression that their FDev contact (mentioned to be a Technical Artist) is directly involved with those games.

The Elite Dangerous leaks are much more vague, as if the leaker doesn't have direct contact with the Elite Dangerous devteam and is instead relying on hearsay. Supporting this thinking is the leaks have given no details on the next two small updates for Elite Dangerous: first one coming July/August bringing more QoL & New Player improvements, the second end of year with new features/content (the small updates are coming every 3-4 months).
I hear what you say ..... but I'm leaning towards "deliberate leaks" rather than an insider leaking .... in particular, the later "leaks." Looking positively, as you are, it could be that FD are keeping atmospheric planets as the Surprise, and Legs as the slow reveal.

I hear what you say ..... but I'm leaning towards "deliberate leaks" rather than an insider leaking .... in particular, the later "leaks." Looking positively, as you are, it could be that FD are keeping atmospheric planets as the Surprise, and Legs as the slow reveal.
Positively?

I think you mean FDev are keeping everything upcoming as a surprise.

Last edited:
So wait your response to the question of continuing vr being a tangent is to suggest we dont want spacelegs? Im all for spacelegs i just wonder how it will work in vr.....

Jeeesus this forum can be hard work

Surely it will work like most of the other VR FPS games out there :)

NPC SRV coming with 4.0?

Doesn't technically mean SRV it could be other vehicles moving around on the surface of planets, as have been stated might not even be ED related at present.

The whole space legs thing in my opinion is ok if you want ED to take on things like Star Citizen and No man's sky but Elite was never about walking around all previous Elites were about the space flight. I would love to see more improvements in that area.

Im all for spacelegs i just wonder how it will work in vr.....

As people have discussed, it will either work the same as the 2D implementation (but in VR) or if we're really lucky have some additional VR specific control method / features (based on the historical VR support for this title the later is unlikely imo). There isn't really much to wonder about outside of that and it certainly does not raise a single question or hint at anything regarding continued VR support in this title. Well outside of wild baseless speculation I guess, this is why people are confused about such comments...There is absolutely no evidence to support such irrational (the virtual sky is falling) thinking.

It's funny to see other VR users running about like headless chickens over this, it really is a non-issue, playing space legs as the 2D players do (but in VR) will be great, if you get more - even better!

Last edited:

Doesn't technically mean SRV it could be other vehicles moving around on the surface of planets, as have been stated might not even be ED related at present.

The whole space legs thing in my opinion is ok if you want ED to take on things like Star Citizen and No man's sky but Elite was never about walking around all previous Elites were about the space flight. I would love to see more improvements in that area.
It specifically mentions the stellar forge.
Braben has expressed his desire for legs.
Previous titles legs hasn’t been technically feasible.

How many are there, where flat and VR players can play together? I only now of the Serious Sam series and even those rather simple games had to be adapted, because VR players have a different mobility.

Soz, must insert traditional quote here:

They may not have been about walking about. But Brabes seems to wish they had been ;)

(Bonus quote: Here's some FDev desire for Legs back in the early days on 'Elite 4' chat)

EDIT: Also, I do totally get the philosophy of 'improve what we've got', and counselling against FDev spreading themselves too wide. It is worth noticing the various Legs scaffolding aspects that they've added, and continue to add however. (And asking whether it's too late on the 'spreading', and so they might as well go all in on 'completing' those aspects? ;))

Last edited:
How many are there, where flat and VR players can play together? I only now of the Serious Sam series and even those rather simple games had to be adapted, because VR players have a different mobility.

Payday 2 for one, a 2D player would have no indication that a VR player was in a match with them. That aside, "different mobility" is not a requirement for VR. VR players can play a title in VR exactly the same way as a 2D player would, i.e. with a game pad or keyboard / mouse controls - there a number of VR games which work just like that. VR players tend to have a preference for more VR centric control methods, as in motion control for hands / weapon play, free look and a higher level of game world interaction in order to get the most out of their VR gaming experience. None of these are set in stone requirements for a VR implementation, they simply "better the experience". Think of them more of a wish list that some VR users tend to confuse with being imperative. I can understand why, as a VR player I'd rather play a title with proper motion control and world interaction support any day of the week, but I'm well aware that Elite is a 2D game with VR support added on and that development is mostly focused on the 2D side of things.

Last edited:
Payday 2 for one, a 2D player would have no indication that a VR player was in a match with them. That aside, "different mobility" is not a requirement for VR. VR players can play a title in VR exactly the same way as a 2D player would, i.e. with a game pad or keyboard / mouse controls - there a number of VR games which work just like that. VR players tend to have a preference for more VR centric control methods, as in motion control for hands / weapon play, free look and a higher level of game world interaction in order to get the most out of their VR gaming experience. None of these are set in stone requirements for a VR implementation, they simply "better the experience". Think of them more of a wish list that some VR users tend to confuse with being imperative. I can understand why, as a VR player I rather play a title with proper motion control and world interaction support any day of the week, but I'm well aware that Elite is a 2D game with VR support added on and that development is mostly focused on the 2D side of things.
I am a VR user and will have no issues using a controller for any movement for 1st person activities. Subnautica did this and I think it was a great VR game. In fact I need to try it out again with my Pimax 5k+.

I think the FPS VR comment may be meaning teleport rather than direct movement, as for many it is the only way not to get travel sick.
I'm also chuckling over the scope of this thread - all from an unfounded rumour from a 'dodgy' source :D

But, facts aside, I'd love atmospherics...

Top Bottom