Roadmap leaked??

Deleted member 110222

D
While I'm interested in elite feet and bases, it's very sad that eight years into devlopment, ED will still have many classes of planet that can only be flown by.
I do get what you're saying. With that said, do you really think MOAR planets is the new content ED really needs after so long now? Something truly fresh would likely be better.

To be honest it always surprised me that FD didn't do more with the existing planets we can already land on. (I may be imagining things but was there not talk of having prison break missions as well as theft missions from bases etc.

To be honest it always surprised me that FD didn't do more with the existing planets we can already land on. (I may be imagining things but was there not talk of having prison break missions as well as theft missions from bases etc.

Well there was also at one point references to prison cells for passenger missions that never materialised, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I guess they could turn around and say scanning the data points is the "theft", though...

I do get what you're saying. With that said, do you really think MOAR planets is the new content ED really needs after so long now? Something truly fresh would likely be better.
I dislike looking on the system map and having planets I can't land on. I don't know what's good for ED, I only know what I'm missing from Frontier's very own shopping list.

Deleted member 110222

D
I dislike looking on the system map and having planets I can't land on. I don't know what's good for ED, I only know what I'm missing from Frontier's very own shopping list.
I'm looking at it from a business perspective. Cold but usually the most informative.

Last expansion was landing on planets. Players tend to want something different with each expansion. So you can see why a consecutive expansion that has a high risk of being received as a re-skin, might be seen as a bit of a risk in terms of maximising sales.

I'm not saying it won't ever happen, but I would wager it being the next expansion after brand new, never before seen mechanics come out first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there was also at one point references to prison cells for passenger missions that never materialised, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I guess they could turn around and say scanning the data points is the "theft", though...
Yep fair point and this is I think a problem with me I guess.
FD state that in the latter part of horizons we will land on volcanic world's. I imagine larva rivers and spewing water geysers creating molten rivers.
We get fumeroles.

FD state (potentially and iirc) base heists and I imagine ram raids and chases across planets surfaces with srvs and ships chasing me what we get is a mission scan point where it does not matter if I get my srv blown up or not because I just spawn in my ship and get to complete the mission safe and sound anyway.

FD don't out and out make stuff up.... But they have an uncanny way of framing a feature such that imo the delivery is probably literally accurate and yet a long way from what I expected

That said. The sound, visuals , flight model and vr support still keep me playing so they ain't all bad ;)

Well, I've just seen this article saying that references to the upcoming JWE 1993 DLC have been found in the game files:

https://jurassic.report/2019/07/07/jurassic-park-1993-dlc-coming-to-jurassic-world-evolution/

That looks to be the final chronological leak before the Elite Dangerous 2020 update well on its way to confirmation.

Frontier themselves still preferring to act as if this roadmap leak doesn't exist. I don't blame them, but it's a bit odd.

At this moment this looks like the 'leaks' of the auto industry... FDev satisfied the community's drive to have more information without the commitment do deliver. Win-win.

Yep fair point and this is I think a problem with me I guess.
FD state that in the latter part of horizons we will land on volcanic world's. I imagine larva rivers and spewing water geysers creating molten rivers.
We get fumeroles.

FD state (potentially and iirc) base heists and I imagine ram raids and chases across planets surfaces with srvs and ships chasing me what we get is a mission scan point where it does not matter if I get my srv blown up or not because I just spawn in my ship and get to complete the mission safe and sound anyway.

FD don't out and out make stuff up.... But they have an uncanny way of framing a feature such that imo the delivery is probably literally accurate and yet a long way from what I expected

That said. The sound, visuals , flight model and vr support still keep me playing so they ain't all bad ;)

While the consequence of SRV destruction and failing the mission isn't present, +++ security bases that have ships guarding them can result in some excellent and thrilling chases still. I've had great fun ducking and diving, dodging and weaving through the base in and out of cover to get away from a particularly persistent Dropship one time.

Although running away out on the open can be a bit boring if the pursuer has railguns, as they're pretty much deadshots with them. In that case I was loathe to call my ship in because it was an exploration fit and I had accidentally discharged my SRV weapons into the wall of a surface port somewhere out near the Eagle Nebula. Was chased for a good 20km by a Viper with the aforementioned rails.

I'm looking at it from a business perspective. Cold but usually the most informative.

Last expansion was landing on planets. Players tend to want something different with each expansion. So you can see why a consecutive expansion that has a high risk of being received as a re-skin, might be seen as a bit of a risk in terms of maximising sales.

I'm not saying it won't ever happen, but I would wager it being the next expansion after brand new, never before seen mechanics come out first.

Apart from anything, space legs offers us/FDev the opportunity to get much more RPG style gameplay into the game, more than enough to keep the players happily busy until planets with amospheres and eco systems comes out.

If Frontier slipped Space Invaders in as an update, you'd still be applauding.
Wooh! mini games confirmed - or would that be the entirely optional thargoids you are speaking about?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
At this moment this looks like the 'leaks' of the auto industry... FDev satisfied the community's drive to have more information without the commitment do deliver. Win-win.

Well, they have committed to the "biggest update yet" (paraphrase) and a "new era" for Elite to be delivered in 2020. So, if they are in fact working on legs it is probably too late to change course in order to fulfill that committment.

Thing about legs is they can do it in stages, 4.0 walking around your ship, 4.1 walking around a section of the stations, 4.2 etc etc.... So even if they do run into problems whereby they would want to delay the launch, they can cobble together an MVP and go to an incremental model (4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 etc) and still technically have honoured their commitment to delivering something massive by end of 2020.

Thing about legs is they can do it in stages, 4.0 walking around your ship, 4.1 walking around a section of the stations, 4.2 etc etc.... So even if they do run into problems whereby they would want to delay the launch, they can cobble together an MVP and go to an incremental model (4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 etc) and still technically have honoured their commitment to delivering something massive by end of 2020.
I doubt it - they need a big new feature and that would dilute it.

May if fdev did have a continuous release model where stuff came out all the time (kinda like SC, but with working stuff), and if they were upfront with details of how they were looking at doing things then it could work - but when you go for big bang secret releases it's difficult to then go : tada! You can walk around the cockpit!

Seasonal model is dead, think that kinda delivery is super unlikely for 2020. It's way more likely to be a 'feature complete' delivery with tweaks and bonus bits coming after.

Seasonal model is dead, think that kinda delivery is super unlikely for 2020. It's way more likely to be a 'feature complete' delivery with tweaks and bonus bits coming after.
I really hope it is 1 large expansion and i think that is the way they will go. OTOH there is another possible feasible way.

make it a bit like a chinese / patas buffet. lots of little features, each individually quite cheap and allow players to dip in for the bits they want. A disasterous idea imo as it will mean none of the features would be able to mesh as FD could not design missions with more than 1 "feature" in as they could not assume players with X would have Y DLC as well.

I doubt it would happen but....... not impossible.

Very disappointing for me, and probably for a lot of the old game's fans I would guess. I am not very interested in walking around and even less so in base building. Got all these things in Arc Survival Evolved and I god do I dislike that game, I find crafting games horrible. But I guess I am in a minority because a lot of people seem to play it, including my son. I just want to see planetary landings and more interesting features added to the existing gameplay to make the game more fun. But I guess it is better than no work being done at all on the game.

Top Bottom