Roadmap leaked??

In reply to some of the above posts...
ED is in business to make money in an industry that serves different desires, most of it's customers can't even agree on what day it is.

In all seriousness ED is not gonna bring out legs and say "here you go guys... walk around your cockpit" it ain't gonna' be like that so don't get offended by something you just made up!
ED should not be looking to pander to those 'historical' players "I wan't Elite to be like it used to be" what? wireframe? not in this day and age, it's a matter of getting as many sales as possible to generate a good income and please as many investors as it can, that includes using the advantages of claiming a healthy playerbase and an interesting game, so far they've done a pretty good job of balancing the books (seemingly)
I feel too many players are looking to have a game that ain't possible, the RPG aspect of the game is as good as your dreams are, as it's your imagination that drives your game (they said as much at release) and we can't expect to have 'much' of a personal story driven game as it's interfered with by other players ensuring none of us are going to be the 'Hero of the Galaxy'
Without moving our butts outta the cockpit the game will be on very thin ice, as technology advances more games are being developed with not just fantastic graphics, but many more in depth animations that allow the players to involve their imagination more in driving their game further than ever before, and there lies a problem...

If ED create a 'new' thing then those players should not have a playing advantage over any others... that would be pay-to-win, and as I understand that is not how the team likes to see things, if legs are included without a 'bonus' of some kind then folks using them will be at a disadvantage to those sitting in the cockpit with their 15 second turn around, those walkers might be enjoying a bit of fresh air but that ain't making credits, so, would legs be compulsory? I can't see the forums agreeing with that, unless it's free, and then we'd still see a chain of fire sweeping through the forums demanding their legs be cut off... and ED would not be making a substantial killing for that year (or whatever) of development, I've no doubt that the extra 'New' sales would pay the wages, but to be honest I can't see it being free.

So what does ED need to provide as incentive to get us out of our seats, I don't know, I know what drives me but I ain't everyone else, I'd like to be able to do the sciencey things on distant uncharted worlds, (a bit Star Trek) and I'd like to chat over a deal in a pub, (a bit Firefly) agree to jobs on my terms not those generated by RNG (tricky one that) I'd like to set a bounty and pay up, I'd like a ton of things that would benefit my game time, and the thing I keep coming back to is... Bethesda has a toolkit and that kept me playing for a hellofalot longer, The community has a great deal of talent and they could make 'things' (scenarios, objects, textures...whatever) I know it's an online game and things are different online... but just because it's different it's not impossible.

So if/when legs drops and the security is right, a basic 'easy-to-use' toolkit would make many adventures possible, and provide a big ol' hike in the profits for ED.

if Frontier released and update with space legs, atmo planets, planets with life, cities, where you can land on Earth with fully rendered real cities, a coffee machine and a massage therapist that come to your home, you'd still moaning.
No, I'd be playing the game (and getting a massage) :)

Well, I've just seen this article saying that references to the upcoming JWE 1993 DLC have been found in the game files:

https://jurassic.report/2019/07/07/jurassic-park-1993-dlc-coming-to-jurassic-world-evolution/

That looks to be the final chronological leak before the Elite Dangerous 2020 update well on its way to confirmation.

Frontier themselves still preferring to act as if this roadmap leak doesn't exist. I don't blame them, but it's a bit odd.

Didn't Frontier say "at least two things were wrong" in the leak?

Without moving our butts outta the cockpit the game will be on very thin ice, as technology advances more games are being developed with not just fantastic graphics, but many more in depth animations that allow the players to involve their imagination more in driving their game further than ever before, and there lies a problem...

Actually that's what makes ED different, creating a galaxy-wide environment for spaceships, with variety, things to see and explore is challenging enough. No one will make a space GTA in the quality we expect from Elite, especially not from FDev's budget.
In a similar vein, you don't see games like Assetto Corsa adding 'racing legs', so that players can walk around their cars, go to the toilet before racing and getting dressed. Becausethe gameplay is revolving around driving the cars, that's the meat of it.

I think ED is a great game, probably the best ever for me. I just fear the loss of direction and the way too broad scope of it - I fear the legs project will fail to live up to the excellent spaceship basis of the game, and may even break it.

Regarding space legs and something I was chatting about at Lavecon, is that any more ground clutter/detail than the rocks we have now, is going to need spacelegs so that you can get around. The SRV is going to be useless in any dense vegetation for example, or ice rubble.

IMHO so long as combat is not the primary reason for space legs, then its going to be a fine addition for those who want to get out of their flight seat e.g. stealth recon of facilities or high value targets, disabling the comms links/generators/shields/base defences/drone controllers, finding specimens for collectors etc. etc.

AFIK Frontier have simply blanked the leak, no comment whatsoever from them on it, neither confirming it or denying it, simply ignoring it. But if anyone has seen a reply from Frontier to the leak, could you please post a link to it, as I'd genuinely like to read it? Thanks in advance.

If ED create a 'new' thing then those players should not have a playing advantage over any others... that would be pay-to-win, and as I understand that is not how the team likes to see things, if legs are included without a 'bonus' of some kind then folks using them will be at a disadvantage to those sitting in the cockpit with their 15 second turn around, those walkers might be enjoying a bit of fresh air but that ain't making credits, so, would legs be compulsory?
You make some good points in your post, but Engineers is only available to purchasers of Horizons, so from a base-game perspective, that is pay-to-win also.

So the introduction of Legs would not change their philosophy of introducing improvements and enhanced play only available to players who purchase the upgrade. Then, of course, there is no endgame "win" in the game, anyway.

ED should not be looking to pander to those 'historical' players "I wan't Elite to be like it used to be" what? wireframe? not in this day and age,

Who are these mythical players who want Elite to be like it used to be? I'd suggest that most who are 'providing feedback' or moaning as some have it, are still attached to the vision that Frontier espoused in the KickStarter.

We're not fighting for our own ideas, we're fighting for Frontier's.

Elite going full FPS.

only 2.8% of players care about flying space ships so they will remove space ships, engineers (which are very unpopular), and long SC/HS travel times all in 1 swell foop by eliminating space ships and going full Halo style FPS. This will also eliminate most if the bugs and exploits like passenger missions and the headlook hack.

this will reduce the GPU requirements so much the game will run on a any recent smartphone. they will then add a new AR element where you travel to different locations and battle different Thargoids. Once you defeat one you can capture it and train it to fight for you. Arena will be brought back as a feature where you can fight other players' captured Thargoids.

(you NEVER go full FPS!)

Didn't Frontier say "at least two things were wrong" in the leak?

Alec mentioned this a while back:

So the recent "leak" (the one that predicted Planet Zoo a week before it came out) said space legs and base building was the focus of the 2020 update. It also suggested that atmos' landings wasn't on the roadmap. FD later commented (on a livestream iirc), without confirming or dening the leak that at least one of the things the leak said wasn't happening was definitely not true. My hope is that FD were referring to the atmos' landings comment so I'm still hoping we'll see something in this area in 2020 ... the new ice planets at the very least.

I scanned the streams of the time and came up blank though. Scanning through & transcript search. No joy.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking there was no mention of Fleet Carriers appearing later this year in the "leaked roadmap"?

Bit of an oversight, from a source which, apparently, has all the insider info' and no hidden agenda.

For me, it just reinforces my original opinion, that the source was actually somebody involved with FDev's "theme park" team (of a friend of somebody in it) and used information about that to add credibility to their opinions about how ED will be developed.

Unless, of course, there was a mention of Fleet Carriers in the "leaked roadmap", in which case fair enough.

Am I right in thinking there was no mention of Fleet Carriers appearing later this year in the "leaked roadmap"?

Bit of an oversight, from a source which, apparently, has all the insider info' and no hidden agenda.

For me, it just reinforces my original opinion, that the source was actually somebody involved with FDev's "theme park" team (of a friend of somebody in it) and used information about that to add credibility to their opinions about how ED will be developed.

Unless, of course, there was a mention of Fleet Carriers in the "leaked roadmap", in which case fair enough.

All they said on the interim updates was this:

Don’t expect to see much between now and then. The focus is on keeping Elite making money on the mean time.

Not a killer oversight IMO. Could stem from lots of things. They certainly do seem to have more insight into the park sims than ED though, for sure.

Where? I don't think they ever addressed it at all.

I was not quite right....

I was not quite right....

If Alec is right there, then clearly the only thing the leak even hinted towards the negative is atmospherics...

Dagnabbit, I'm starting to get my hopes up yet again. Right after posting elsewhere the the leak implied to me that the reprioritisation of ice planets did not mean they were coming instead with atmospherics.

All aboard the low speed, modestly chugging hype train.

Last edited:
If Alec is right there, then clearly the only thing the leak even hinted towards the negative is atmospherics...

Dagnabbit, I'm starting to get my hopes up yet again. Right after posting elsewhere the the leak implied to me that the reprioritisation of ice planets did not mean they were coming instead with atmospherics.

All aboard the low speed, modestly chugging hype train.

Given that the leak completely failed to mention Fleet Carriers I'm not sure we should be making any assumptions about spacelegs or base-building.
Being right about other FDev products doesn't automatically mean it's right about ED too.

Given that the leak completely failed to mention Fleet Carriers I'm not sure we should be making any assumptions about spacelegs or base-building.
Being right about other FDev products doesn't automatically mean it's right about ED too.

No, not automatically.
But it makes it more likely.

Of course we could be very wrong, and the ED stuff is the only inaccurate thing on the list. That's always a possibility. But the likelihood of that diminishes with every confirmation.

Once the 1993 DLC for Jurassic World Evolution is officially revealed, we'll have nothing left with a date to watch out for aside from the ED stuff.

Probably about Tree Fiddy....
Tree Fiddy? Thats probably way too light... More likely at least two and a half bill, more likely ten bill.

Very disappointing for me, and probably for a lot of the old game's fans I would guess.
I'm a veteran of FE2 and FFE, and I cannot wait to be able to step out of the pilots seat.

But if they were wrong about any other frontier product it would be used as evidence that the "leak" was destined to be inacurate about Elite, so they cannot win when you take a stance like that.

You make some good points in your post, but Engineers is only available to purchasers of Horizons, so from a base-game perspective, that is pay-to-win also.

So the introduction of Legs would not change their philosophy of introducing improvements and enhanced play only available to players who purchase the upgrade. Then, of course, there is no endgame "win" in the game, anyway.
SO you expect a 4 year old* version of a game to get updated to keep on parity with new versions?
*Its now five years old but it would have been 4 years old when horizons was released.

All they said on the interim updates was this: [quoted message]
Not a killer oversight IMO. Could stem from lots of things. They certainly do seem to have more insight into the park sims than ED though, for sure.
I'm going with the "don't expect much, main focus will be keeping elite making money until 2020" as being a salient description of moving the cosmetics store to front and centre on the main menu, and making those products more accessible, so customers are more likely to buy them because the shop is in their face when they log in and even if they are out in the middle of nowhere. They are also continuing to make it easier for new players to join the game and ramp up to speed, which is aimed at getting more licenses for the game sold to more players, again more money. So on one hand they are remodelling the game to make it suitable for drumming up more sales, and on the other hand they are rejigging the microtransactions to milk more out of players, definitely "trying to keep elite making money until 2020" if you ask me.

Top Bottom