Roadmap leaked??

In reply to some of the above posts...
ED is in business to make money in an industry that serves different desires, most of it's customers can't even agree on what day it is.

In all seriousness ED is not gonna bring out legs and say "here you go guys... walk around your cockpit" it ain't gonna' be like that so don't get offended by something you just made up!
ED should not be looking to pander to those 'historical' players "I wan't Elite to be like it used to be" what? wireframe? not in this day and age, it's a matter of getting as many sales as possible to generate a good income and please as many investors as it can, that includes using the advantages of claiming a healthy playerbase and an interesting game, so far they've done a pretty good job of balancing the books (seemingly)
I feel too many players are looking to have a game that ain't possible, the RPG aspect of the game is as good as your dreams are, as it's your imagination that drives your game (they said as much at release) and we can't expect to have 'much' of a personal story driven game as it's interfered with by other players ensuring none of us are going to be the 'Hero of the Galaxy'
Without moving our butts outta the cockpit the game will be on very thin ice, as technology advances more games are being developed with not just fantastic graphics, but many more in depth animations that allow the players to involve their imagination more in driving their game further than ever before, and there lies a problem...

If ED create a 'new' thing then those players should not have a playing advantage over any others... that would be pay-to-win, and as I understand that is not how the team likes to see things, if legs are included without a 'bonus' of some kind then folks using them will be at a disadvantage to those sitting in the cockpit with their 15 second turn around, those walkers might be enjoying a bit of fresh air but that ain't making credits, so, would legs be compulsory? I can't see the forums agreeing with that, unless it's free, and then we'd still see a chain of fire sweeping through the forums demanding their legs be cut off... and ED would not be making a substantial killing for that year (or whatever) of development, I've no doubt that the extra 'New' sales would pay the wages, but to be honest I can't see it being free.

So what does ED need to provide as incentive to get us out of our seats, I don't know, I know what drives me but I ain't everyone else, I'd like to be able to do the sciencey things on distant uncharted worlds, (a bit Star Trek) and I'd like to chat over a deal in a pub, (a bit Firefly) agree to jobs on my terms not those generated by RNG (tricky one that) I'd like to set a bounty and pay up, I'd like a ton of things that would benefit my game time, and the thing I keep coming back to is... Bethesda has a toolkit and that kept me playing for a hellofalot longer, The community has a great deal of talent and they could make 'things' (scenarios, objects, textures...whatever) I know it's an online game and things are different online... but just because it's different it's not impossible.

So if/when legs drops and the security is right, a basic 'easy-to-use' toolkit would make many adventures possible, and provide a big ol' hike in the profits for ED.
personally i just want FD to do their damndest to make the game they detailed back at the start. maybe a few bits and bobs wont be feasible and were more flights of fantasty (big game hunting ) but some of it was certainly... or should certainly be in the scope of their ability. this DID include space legs . but i do think FD need to get the basics of the space part right 1st before they essentially embark on an entire new genre.

hell there is so much more they could do with the mechanics they have now on planets surfaces and what not which would surely be less mammoth a task than legs.

but hey ho . aint my game so what ever they do i will be along for the ride.

No, not automatically.
But it makes it more likely.

Of course we could be very wrong, and the ED stuff is the only inaccurate thing on the list. That's always a possibility. But the likelihood of that diminishes with every confirmation.

Once the 1993 DLC for Jurassic World Evolution is officially revealed, we'll have nothing left with a date to watch out for aside from the ED stuff.

It's entirely possible that the source of the 'leak' was privy to information about JWE, but not about ED.

Since the leak said nothing about Fleet Carriers or ARX - which FDev consider to be the headline features of ED for 2019 - or about anything else coming before the 'new era' I don't see that JWE has any relevance.

It's entirely possible that the source of the 'leak' was privy to information about JWE, but not about ED.

Since the leak said nothing about Fleet Carriers or ARX - which FDev consider to be the headline features of ED for 2019 - or about anything else coming before the 'new era' I don't see that JWE has any relevance.

It's definitely still possible that the leaker is trolling on the ED stuff. The JWE & PC stuff is far from irrelevant though, in terms of establishing some form of inside knowledge (from whatever source: employee, hacking, whatever).

This interim period for ED seems fairly ad hoc (not even a Beyond style title or official roadmap etc), so it's possible that details were fluid/light at that point. Or equally plausibly, given the leaker's snarky tone, they didn't think Beyond cast offs merited a detailed mention as a 'new' thing etc.

Be sceptical, sure. But 'keeping ED making money' isn't a terrible synopsis for what's gone down to date. (Heavy noob-onboarding for the playerbase that brings in the most cash, a cosmetics purchasing revamp, and some honey for the vets dangled at the end of the year ;))

I guess one could argue that it did hint at ARX when it said that Elite's focus until 2020 will be making money.

While I'm interested in elite feet and bases, it's very sad that eight years into devlopment, ED will still have many classes of planet that can only be flown by.

Here here! When will we get atmospheric planets and be able to 'leave space'? Why is this so complicated when they did it for Frontier Elite II years ago? Just get it done Frontier - stop messing around. And whilst you are on about it lets have a few new types of visitable bases with new landing methods like entering domes and docking slots with opening external doors, and add some people and ground crew milling around the bases. Loads to do to this game Frontier just get on with it.

Last edited:
atmospherics and space legs / eva is all well and good, but i would swap it all for a proper npc crew mechanic and npc wingmates for hire / or to be a player wingmate for hire for an npc wing.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
Here here! When will we get atmospheric planets and be able to 'leave space'? Why is this so complicated when they did it for Frontier Elite II years ago? Just get it done Frontier - stop messing around. And whilst you are on about it lets have a few new types of visitable bases with new landing methods like entering domes and docking slots with opening external doors, and add some people and ground crew milling around the bases. Loads to do to this game Frontier just get on with it.

Wait, all change! Latest leak just in:

• They found the atmosphere switch at some point in March
  • New strategy is advancing way ahead of schedule
  • Pink suns added.

Concept art to follow

cfdDAg3.png

Wait, all change! Latest leak just in:
So, finding the Atmo switch took eight years?
understandable I guess, sometimes when I'm steaming and I can't find the light switch I have to make my way to bed by heading towards the snoring sounds from my missus!...
maybe they were waiting for the sound guys to release the air... I dunno!

So on one hand they are remodelling the game to make it suitable for drumming up more sales, and on the other hand they are rejigging the microtransactions to milk more out of players, definitely "trying to keep elite making money until 2020" if you ask me.
Which is quite logical for a business, if you ask me. If Elite suddenly stopped making any money this month (no sold copies, no sold cosmetics, at all), I bet there would be some talks regarding whether they can afford more development with zero income.

Luckily for us such thing won't happen. But eventually, if your game makes less than it costs to keep it alive, you have a problem and need to fix it in some way - and good upgrade might take too long, at times, while good tutorial and shop remake might be the simple thing to improve first.

Who are these mythical players who want Elite to be like it used to be? I'd suggest that most who are 'providing feedback' or moaning as some have it, are still attached to the vision that Frontier espoused in the KickStarter.

We're not fighting for our own ideas, we're fighting for Frontier's.
And if they're trying to squeeze more cash out of it I can see 25% off a bunch of cosmetics drawing in a few extra quid (the original Mamba paint job (and FDL) was that hideous I had to hide it with something and couldn't wait for Black Friday) but why exactly do they have the base game and Horizons at 75% off in the current Steam sale?

That seems a little counter productive unless it's aimed at second (and third) accounts or veterans berating their friends into buying it when they'll never play it more than a few hours, at best.

Damnit! They all seemed so excited about legs in the dev diaries...

And if they're trying to squeeze more cash out of it I can see 25% off a bunch of cosmetics drawing in a few extra quid (the original Mamba paint job (and FDL) was that hideous I had to hide it with something and couldn't wait for Black Friday) but why exactly do they have the base game and Horizons at 75% off in the current Steam sale?

That seems a little counter productive unless it's aimed at second (and third) accounts or veterans berating their friends into buying it when they'll never play it more than a few hours, at best.

Damnit! They all seemed so excited about legs in the dev diaries...
"Price promotions are an effective sales tool". - Alex Bevis, CFO

Marketing works in mysterious ways, you'll have to ask Mr. Bevis for that.
I'd say that getting new players is more important for FD than earning on cosmetics.
Customers are such fickle creatures, which is possibly why the more nefarious developers employ deliberately addictive psychological warfare tactics to keep them fully engaged with the grindstone...

Interesting review on whaling conference / exploiting pay pigs...

Customers are such fickle creatures, which is possibly why the more nefarious developers employ deliberately addictive psychological warfare tactics to keep them fully engaged with the grindstone...

Interesting review on whaling conference / exploiting pay pigs...
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Top Bottom