Roadmap leaked??

I still stand firmly behind my statement that FD doesn't know how to earn money.
I'd really like to spend some more on some good looking cosmetics, but there's simply nothing worth my money.
FD can't deliver and it's not because of their malevolence. ;)
Ahh, I see what may have happened here. When I said "which is possibly why the more nefarious developers..." I wasn't including FDev although incompetent may be a little too far in the opposite direction to describe the situation too.

Despite Elite hitting the market way back in the 80's, Frontier is still a relatively young company who haven't succumbed to the temptation of things like loot boxes, aka gambling or pay to win and hopefully they won't go down that shadowy path either. What they may have done though, is get excited and bite off a little more than they can chew, hence rescheduling carriers and possibly things behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

I'd be more inclined to put it down to youthful overconfidence than malice or incompetence.

[Edit: In relation to cosmetics, I'd prefer to design my own, like in Need For Speed: World]

Yeah sure, but 75%? Why not just do an across the board 25% off everything?

I'm no marketing expert, but wouldn't expanding the pool of players who own the base game make it a lot more likely they'll pay the full price for the upcoming 2020 update? So even if they buy it for a huge discount of 75% off (an awesome deal), Frontier has a good shot at coming out ahead overall since it's another person willing to pay 40(?) bucks for next year's update.

Someone who knows more can tell me why that theory is dumb, though.

There is an argument that could be made for the cheaper the game is, if it's not gifted to you, the less you appreciate and value it. Plenty of people out there have more games in their Steam library than brain cells and haven't played any of them more than a similar number of minutes before they got too hard.

Too much choice of things that cost very little doesn't create a loyal player base either.

[Edit: Anecdotally it seems those friends who paid the most have also played the most]

Ahh, I see what may have happened here. When I said "which is possibly why the more nefarious developers..." I wasn't including FDev although incompetent may be a little too far in the opposite direction to describe the situation too.

Despite Elite hitting the market way back in the 80's, Frontier is still a relatively young company who haven't succumbed to the temptation of things like loot boxes, aka gambling or pay to win and hopefully they won't go down that shadowy path either. What they may have done though, is get excited and bite off a little more than they can chew, hence rescheduling carriers and possibly things behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

I'd be more inclined to put it down to youthful overconfidence than malice or incompetence.

[Edit: In relation to cosmetics, I'd prefer to design my own, like in Need For Speed: World]
My apologies for misinterpreting your post, there were already voices on the forum claiming that FD has the same predatory motives, and I completely agree with you that such claims couldn't be more far from the truth. As I said, even with their very tame business model, they could earn much, much more.

Er, what would be the difference between youthful overconfidence and incompetence?

Warframe has an awesome customisation model: some high quality skins are made by users and offered through Steam, and the studio sells colour palettes. The true endgame there is fashionframe. ;)

Digital Extremes is one of the exceptions in the industry that really does microtransactions correctly and people happily pay to support them.

My apologies for misinterpreting your post, there were already voices on the forum claiming that FD has the same predatory motives, and I completely agree with you that such claims couldn't be more far from the truth. As I said, even with their very tame business model, they could earn much, much more.

Er, what would be the difference between youthful overconfidence and incompetence?

Warframe has an awesome customisation model: some high quality skins are made by users and offered through Steam, and the studio sells colour palettes. The true endgame there is fashionframe. ;)

Digital Extremes is one of the exceptions in the industry that really does microtransactions correctly and people happily pay to support them.
Have you ever heard the comment: "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time..."
That's youthful overconfidence. A commitment that's easier to get into, than out of.

A shotgun wedding has the same end result, but the execution isn't quite as pretty.

Have you ever heard the comment: "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time..."
That's youthful overconfidence. A commitment that's easier to get into, than out of.

A shotgun wedding has the same end result, but the execution isn't quite as pretty.
It was a good idea, but it was poorly executed. And that shows incompetence. "When software is done right, it requires a fraction of the human resources to create and maintain. Changes are simple and rapid. Defects are few and far between. Effort is minimized, and functionality and flexibility are maximized." - Robert C. Martin, Clean Architecture

I think I don't have to tell you how much time and resources FD need to make changes and how many defects their software has. ;)

It was a good idea, but it was poorly executed. And that shows incompetence. "When software is done right, it requires a fraction of the human resources to create and maintain. Changes are simple and rapid. Defects are few and far between. Effort is minimized, and functionality and flexibility are maximized." - Robert C. Martin, Clean Architecture

I think I don't have to tell you how much time and resources FD need to make changes and how many defects their software has. ;)
LMAO! Yeah ok, fair point, and a nice quote.

Why am I suddenly reminded of this thread...

They are still advertising for an AI Programmer for Elite Dangerous .... which suggests they can't find one good enough for what they need :eek:

... which suggests they can't find one good enough for what they need :eek:

... or that the good ones are not convinced by the offering?

there are enough good professionals out there. if you show them good money and an interesting project they will be game.

hint: usually only mediocre/inexperienced employees get impressed by benefits, corporate manure and hipster mantras.

... or that the good ones are not convinced by the offering?

there are enough good professionals out there. if you show them good money and an interesting project they will be game.

hint: usually only mediocre/inexperienced employees get impressed by benefits, corporate manure and hipster mantras.

Emphasis on 'good project'. Most of the established professionals in this industry aren't lacking a paycheck so much as motivation. It's a soul-crushing business to work in - more so than your typical 9 to 5 - because the work can be brutally demoralizing. What's more, the project needs (needs) to provide growth for the professional in question. Especially in AI.

Like all professional specializations, the measure of your talent is largely a measure of your past work. Unlike most professional specializations, AI is heavily constricted by many other professionals before one can even work on it. The fact you can deftly program a four-phase boss NPC isn't relevant when your job is to figure out why skimmers keep launching into the ground or strafing into buildings.

Unless FDev is looking at NPC crew as a fully fleshed out feature beyond the SLF, or significantly more complex Thargoid encounters / mega-entities, I would think the biggest challenge in filling this position is that Elite doesn't offer anything of substance to work on or with. Toss in the natural constriction of AI work by other departments (even Art's capabilities restrict AI) and it's not hard to see why these professionals can be very picky about their next move.

With personal fleet carriers, what will the point be of having base building. Surely your own fleet carrier would be your own mobile base and much better then having something stuck in one place.

I have to say that having personal fleet carriers makes the leak about ED more suspect personally.
Personally I think Fleet Carriers are better than base building. I can think of nothing worse than half finished bases scattered around popular surface tourist sites.

Personally I think Fleet Carriers are better than base building. I can think of nothing worse than half finished bases scattered around popular surface tourist sites.
I agree. I am not that fussed about either, but I will have to look at fleet carriers a bit more when we get more information.

With personal fleet carriers, what will the point be of having base building. Surely your own fleet carrier would be your own mobile base and much better then having something stuck in one place.

I have to say that having personal fleet carriers makes the leak about ED more suspect personally.
No Man's Sky has both.
There are plenty of things that could be done to make both viable.
Having base building would also satisfy the itch of another group of players; that is, players who don't see a need for a carrier but would rather have a base they can build., operate out of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom