Community Event / Creation Roguey's ED site

hi there guys,

over the past few days ive been working on my site on and off, writing a few guides, playing the game etc. I would appreciate any thoughts on what ive done so far (good or bad). I created this thread because in the stickie cos alien said would be better (people can comment on things - which makes sense).

- roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/

Please note, the site is not even a week old atm, and havnt played all that much. So if there is any mistakes, please let me know.

I also wanted to know is there any stats on weapons/shields somewhere? I would ideally like to add that information to the pages, but in-game there is no information. ie. C1 pulse hits for x damage, and cobra mk3 has 3000 shield units? without it, my weapon pages look a little bare.

ps. I am a PHP coder, so I can add more functionality if required. Maybe a way of people reporting ware prices or something?

ps.2 I also wanted to say hi to this community, hopefully its a start of something good :)

many thanks,
- Roguey

Well I have a bit more work done now, I have gotten the ship/weapon stats up now (using XML) and have written a few guides; such as trading, managing power etc. Let me know if I have any errors in them. Just check under 'help'.

I guess the next step is to add the ware info, after-which it could be expanded to add prices at the various stations. I have an idea to build a way that people could add sectors to the site, then add the relative stations/planets to them. Each station could then have wares added/removed, and/or prices updated (AJAX could be used to make it a quick process). With this kind-of information, the individual weapons/module pages could tell you where you can buy the item, and for how much, Might be able to do charts to track item prices over time, per universe/faction/system.

Are there people willing to update anything?

ps. Its a shame there isnt any API's to call for that information. Although pining the server for 400 billion sectors could be a rather large file lol. I wonder if FD would later give out the XML for the sectors? then it could be drawn out-of-game.

Anyway thanks for reading,

Well.. I have another update. After a lot of work (getting the back-end to work), I have managed to code a something to help with trading. My new page allows you to select 'where do I sell/sell ware x/y/z'? Ive tested it and the prices seem to be correct.

Anyway, any comments are welcomed (although it would be nice if someone would comment at all :) )

http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/trade-helper/

I also plan to add pages so you can see what is for sale at each location too.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Unbelievable that nobody has posted something. Just read about it on Andreas marketdump thread. Great that you take the effort to create this. On holiday with very limited internet access. Be back in a week. Rep plus for you mate.

Unbelievable that nobody has posted something. Just read about it on Andreas marketdump thread. Great that you take the effort to create this. On holiday with very limited internet access. Be back in a week. Rep plus for you mate.
I was thinking that no-one liked me or something :) .. just found it odd not a soul replied... big thanks for being the first and thanks for the rep.

Today ive been working on a new piece of code. This shows you the 'best price' by searching nearby for high demanded/stocked wares (depending if you select buy or sell). Ive placed a link on those pages so you can see where to sell them too. You can access it by selecting 'for best price' at the top of the ware pull-down.

So you can either select a particular ware, or do a general galaxy search with-in a specific area (which im hoping will help when the galaxy expands).

illu Minti

Deadly, But very fluffy...
As with Ian only just come across this thread, looks interesting with the quick look ive had on your "Elite: Dangerous » The trade-helper" and nice site to mate :)

Hey rougey nice to see you I appreciated all the hard work you gave on the X seris ....XR 2.50 is looking good at the moment maybe you should check it out ...
Glad your with us at the ED family .....history in the making of space Sims ....:)

I was thinking that no-one liked me or something :)

Hi there Rogue. I remember you from the X games. Used your site for years. I bailed on Rebirth as soon as I could force Steam to give me a refund. Dreadful ending to a fine series. Good to see you're turning your talents to ED. Just rejoined your site (forgot my old details).

Yeah, its a shame what happened to the x-series, especially where it ended up. Although sometimes you have to move-on (for me, I didnt like where things were heading).

As you guys are saying - ED has a lot of potential (the grand-father of the whole space-sim). I wasnt too sure how well I would be perceived, as things got a bit messy (I think that's the right word), with me getting a bit mixed up in-it-all.

So thank-you for welcomes :)

I guess the next section I need to get around to finishing is the weapon pages, unless you can think of something I should cover instead? I guess the trade thingy is done for now?

hi guys,

well ive been doing a few updates to the site during the past few days - to bring it upto Beta 2 stats (since quite a lot as changed). I have been updating the ships and weapon sections. Nothing is complete atm, but hopefully im on the right track.

Do want to get all the weapon pages looking like this;
- http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/weapons/cannon-c1/

ie. with a youtube video showing how it works / feels in game.

Does anyone have a good picture for the ASP? Ive tried a few times, but without an external camera it makes it very hard to do.

thank-you very much NoTones for posting on the third party tools thread. Im glad you find the site useful :)

Last night I managed to complete 'sharing of ship builds'. Something I was meaning to do but kept putting it off. I still need to do more, but hopefully makes it a bit more useful.

Ill keep more of an eye on this thread from now on, thanks again :)

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
thank-you very much NoTones for posting on the third party tools thread. Im glad you find the site useful :)

Last night I managed to complete 'sharing of ship builds'. Something I was meaning to do but kept putting it off. I still need to do more, but hopefully makes it a bit more useful.

Ill keep more of an eye on this thread from now on, thanks again :)

I think this site is a prime example of an excellent site getting snowed under totally by the forums. It turned out that I knew about your site. I was the first that posted here in #3. Somehow I forgot about your site and it didn't turn up in my third party tools thread. NoTones corrected that mistake. Thanks to him its now in EDCodex (website version of the tools thread). Its not released yet. I hope that when edcodex is released your tool will get more exposure. It truly deserves that!! Keep up the good work ;-)

A question: Do you use the EDDN or eddb.io for market prices? Can't seem to find that on your site. The EDDN now also distributes Shipard data. Outfitting data is planned. Is that data which could be useful for your tool?

Last edited:
hi there, thanks for your kind words. No worries for missing the site, I understand people get busy and that.

as for using EDDN data, I did look at that but I noticed that supply/demand levels (LOW/MED/HIGH) arent recorded (just the amount of stock or demand). I use levels in my calculations to prioritise where to buy or sell, as I feel that its important to trade with high demand/stock goods (it also acts as a second-check, encase the price is wrong). I didnt think there was a API for EDDN either which makes things tricker (150Mb csv isnt easy to work with). I was hoping by now there would be an official API that I could use, where I could simply query the servers then store the values into my database. However, even without it there is quite a bit of data on my site (48,000+ ware prices, 20,000+ systems, 5,500+ system objects), so im wary of ditching the data (more data on the site would be better although). I must admit although the amount of visitors as dropped, leading to much less updates than it used to have (even days without any updates now).

I did wonder how you get listed on the community fansite page, as I did send an email but got no response. I dont know who to contact on the forum about it either.

as for edcodex, let me know when its ready as ill place a link to it on my site.

many thanks,

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
hi there, thanks for your kind words. No worries for missing the site, I understand people get busy and that.

as for using EDDN data, I did look at that but I noticed that supply/demand levels (LOW/MED/HIGH) aren't recorded (just the amount of stock or demand). I use levels in my calculations to prioritise where to buy or sell, as I feel that its important to trade with high demand/stock goods (it also acts as a second-check, encase the price is wrong).
Not sure what you mean. Supply/demand do have Low/Med/High levels aside from a number. Have a look at eddb.io, better the ROSS part of it. In the
EDDN log you see in real time data distributed by EDDN.

I didnt think there was a API for EDDN either which makes things tricker (150Mb csv isnt easy to work with).

Not sure where you get that 150MB from.
EDDN does NOT store any data and probably never will. K.I.S.S principle. That said there are Value Added Services for EDDN. Basically they are archiving services. Data distributed, received and stored is available using an API. We have a few of them. One is eddb.io, it does not have an API but the atuhors creates I believe JSON files which you can download. That data is heavily curated/checked.
EDDN does NOT have an API, you receive data by creating a ZeroMQ listener for it. Multiple exist in various languages. Coincidence or not, I created a list of existing ones here in the EDDN thread.

I was hoping by now there would be an official API that I could use, where I could simply query the servers then store the values into my database. However, even without it there is quite a bit of data on my site (48,000+ ware prices, 20,000+ systems, 5,500+ system objects), so im wary of ditching the data (more data on the site would be better although). I must admit although the amount of visitors as dropped, leading to much less updates than it used to have (even days without any updates now).

As written above, there are archiving services with an API where you can get all the data you need. Some clean the data, for others it unknown. Data from the OEF tools is 100% correct as it comes directly from the iPhone web-api. EDDN messages contains fields for the software used to send data to the EDDN. I can give you a list of archiving services.

I did wonder how you get listed on the community fansite page, as I did send an email but got no response. I dont know who to contact on the forum about it either.
Is my tools thread on the community fansite page? I just checked but can't seem to find anything. Do you have an url for me?

as for edcodex, let me know when its ready as ill place a link to it on my site.
Cool. Appreciated.

many thanks

Update: Added some text and add working url links

Last edited:
hi there,

as for using EDDN data, I did look at that but I noticed that supply/demand levels (LOW/MED/HIGH) aren't recorded (just the amount of stock or demand). I use levels in my calculations to prioritise where to buy or sell, as I feel that its important to trade with high demand/stock goods (it also acts as a second-check, encase the price is wrong).
thanks for explaining about EDDN, to be honest I got mixed up. A while back there was a firehose, where you listened in for data using a ZeroMQ listener (which I guess is the same thing). After awhile it was stopped. So I was thinking the EDDN data was going to eddb.io (sorry for the mix up). My earlier comment about HIGH/MED/LOW demand/stock levels was because I was checking their JSON files. I will continue through PM if thats okay.

Is my tools thread on the community fansite page? I just checked but can't seem to find anything. Do you have an url for me?
yup sure, community.elitedangerous.com/fansites

Cool. Appreciated.
No worries of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom