Rookie Mistakes

I'm sure this has been done before but I'm not digging up a necro.

Reading that post last night of the guy who didn't request docking, took an hour landing and got blown top for it, some funny stories came out about things people had done when they first started or, in my case, just rookie errors that I really should have not made.

I have a couple.

I just wanted to land on planets and drive around, it's a thing I still love doing to this day. Naturally it was on my early goals when I first got the game to do it. I had to get the SRV bay and all that. Eventually I got what I needed, by this time, I was ok at landing. So I picked the nearest planet, landed on it and when for a roam in my SRV. So happy was I that I hadn't noticed my ship had gone. When I was ready to go home, I had no idea how to get my ship back. I just did a self destruct. I did this twice before accidentally discovering the recall ship function. What a splasher.

The other was mining. I'd already been playing the game a couple of years before I arrived on this forum, everyone was banging on about mining, it had never really appealed to me before but I thought I'd give it a go. I had seen a couple of builds on here, I swiped one of those and off I went. I couldn't work it out. I kept running out of laser power. A couple of times I even went back to the station to 'reload', obviously there was no reload. I came on here, asked the question when someone mentioned PIPS. The shame of it.

Last edited:
loading my sidey with 2t of crop harvesters, because "where people live, they gonna harvest crops, for sure a good deal anywhere!"

ah, and jumping my adder "towards the edge of the map", which is now the formidine rift, wondering why i barely move on the map. i turned around after a couple of thousand lightyears.

Deleted member 182079

D
Playing the game with an Xbox controller & tapping "B" when what I wanted to do was drop the landing gear... (hold "B" + tap down)

the back end of the station approaches really quickly when that happens...
Hehe, the Xbox pad context combos still catch me out now and then.

Gotta scoop that container - "landing gear extended"

Let's gain an advantage in this fight by switching to FA off - "silent running"

Even muscle memory can play tricks on you at times.

Playing the game with an Xbox controller & tapping "B" when what I wanted to do was drop the landing gear... (hold "B" + tap down)

the back end of the station approaches really quickly when that happens...
Ah yes, who hasn’t smashed their face into the back of a station at least once?
i turned around after a couple of thousand lightyears.
Reminds me of another. For some unknown reason, not long after getting my Python and getting it in reasonable shape to run missions, I decided to take off into the black in it. Something like 30ly a jump. I got about 7kly away from the bubble. I’d run into a few of these weird blue ’star’ things with 2 odd plumes running out of them. Naturally I flew through a few, no idea what I was doing. Not long after, my FSD just died. No repair limpets. No AMFU or whatever it is called. I was stranded. I didn’t know about reboot/repair but I did know about self destruct.

I only have one. Very first time i played i tried to dock and it didn't work. I thought the game was crap and only came back 6 months later after asking the question and the answer being obsidian ant's 40 min video. I had a lead to know what to do after that, it was on! Anyways, turned out i had just landed on the pad backwards.

Also i was genuinely creeped out by the audio the first time i went to a barnacle site (it was at night too). Does that count?

For the longest time i thought a grade shields were better than biweave (with reason even) for pve. How silly.

Oh yeah i did the original robigo run without a fuel scoop, because i didn't know what one was and didn't care. There was actually a station half way to let you do it too...

Lol, I did that last night and ricochet off the side of my carrier. Took me down to one ring.

I went mining again recently after a long hiatus.

I made the long trip out to my preferred spot, lined up with my first rock and let loose with the lasers.

Limpets flying everywhere...but they're not depositing anything into my ship...what? Cargo space, check. Cargo scoop, check. Pips, check.

Oh, no refinery.

D'Oh.

Last edited:
Rookie mistake, but I wasn't a rookie.

I was out in witchhead and wanted to run a bubble errand, so I got out my AspX and took the prison taxi to the Pleiades (get a minor bounty and hand yourself in to cover 3/4 the distance in like, 2 minutes).

I then discovered that I had left my good FSD in a Chieftain and only had a 5E for the remaining journey home.

Assigning a button to silent running and not knowing about it, then accidentally hitting the button and start watching the ship fry without knowing how to stop it.

There too many outfitting mistakes to list, but most are about not getting enough power to work things or not getting enough jump range. This ties in with the classic mistake of getting a bounty on themselves, then going to the station and paying it off, which sends them to the prison ship without enough jump range to leave it, leaving them stranded there.

The one that used to make me laugh the most before they changed it was the bounty farmer that got a bounty on themselves, stayed in the RES/nav beacon until the police blew them up. They respawn in the station after wondering why the police turned on them, then fly back to the RES/beacon and get blown up again, and then the loop would repeat until they came here to ask why.

I suppose you could call this one a mistake. A passenger wants to go on a sightseeing trip. After the first jump, he wants to stop off to buy some silver, then he wants to divert to another system to see something else, then he remembers that he needs to buy something else, and so on. The poor beginner complies with his every demand.

Running out of fuel, lol you only do it once then learn you mistake (hopefully)

Fuel scoop always unless you absolutely know what you're doing and where you're going. Remember KGBFOAM (fuel scoop-able stars) if you're almost out of fuel and maybe have one jump left of fuel always check what star you're jumping to before you're FSD fully charges up; you don't want your last jump to be to a star you can't fuel scoop.

Also if you're low on fuel (maybe one full jump tops) and they're is no nearby star you can scoop within you're jump range, remember you can always travel much further by switching to economic route and doing short jumps till you can get to a fuel scoop star. Like you can go way further like that instead of just one long jump. You could always call the Fuel Rats, but best to learn how to save yourself first and use them as a last ditch effort when there is no other options.

Taking a "combat Keelback" with an un-engineered 3D shield generator into a Resource extraction site and wondering why the heck I blow up so fast. It's supposed to be a "combat trader" for crying out loud!

Taking my ~20ly Noob Python to Maia to buy Meta Alloys, flying to Deciat to unlock the engineer...only to be blown up by a ganker in open upon arrival.

Approaching a station without autopilot, hitting shift-tab (steam overlay) to chat with a friend. Watching in horror as station hull approaches rapidly.

I think my most embarrassing moment was...

I just bought a shiny new FDL and was making the usual engineering rounds. As it was tight for space, I didn't equip a fuel scoop.

I realized on my current trip that I was running into an issue where I was getting dangerously low.

In a panic, I started searching out local systems that had a station I could jump to and fill up. I found my station and made the jump.

Unfortunately, the station was pretty far from the primary star. I started my SC and watched the bar slowly move towards empty.

I ran dry 15 Ls from the station. I was too embarrassed to call the fuel rats.

I sat there as the darkness engulfed me, listening to myself slowly choke to death. I barely heard the explosion.

Top Bottom