RootsExplo - Elite ReShade preset

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
DOWNLOAD: RootsExplo v.1.1

GALLERY

GALLERY - Before and After photos

DESCRIPTION

This ReShade preset gives Elite a more cinematic look, with better colours and sharpened image, however without exaggeration. It won't make the stars or planetary rings ridiculously blinding and oversaturrated colours won't make your eyes bleed. Instead, it will enhance the graphics, making the colours slightly more vibrant and alive, shadows will be deeper and more atmospheric and planetary surfaces sharper. The whole image will also gain a subtle cinematic feel to it.

Hope you enjoy this guys and feel free to post your feedback here.

Special thanks to Insomnia for inspiring me to make my own preset!

EFFECTS USED

SweetFX Shader
SMAA - better antialiasing
Levels, LiftGammaGain, Tonemap, Vibrance, Curves - subtle changes to colour saturation, shadows, contrast, gamma, exposure etc.
Lumasharpen - texture sharpening effect
CA (Chromatic Aberration) - cinematic filter. This can be turned on/off in game, as it blurrs the screen slightly and not everyone likes that effect.
Vignette - slight vignette to simulate more varied terrain visuals on planet surfaces

Shader GemFX
Bloom - slightly intensifies the lights emitted by various object (stars, LEDs, HUD etc.)

Extra files
Graphics Configuration Override - better planetary and Milky Way textures, more rocks on the planets, changed HUD colours.

INSTALLATION

1. Downlad and extract the package.

2. Copy the contents of Graphics Override directory to C:\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics. WARNING! If you have already modified this file (for example to change the HUD colour etc.), you may just want to copy over the other blocks of code from my file:

"GUIColour" block changes the HUD colour.
"GalaxyBackground" block changes the Milky Way texture size. Default size is 2048. You can also try 3072.
Likewise, "Planets" block refers to planet textures size.
"SurfaceRocks" blocks controls the amount of small rocks on the planets (not the ones that give you minerals - it's not a cheat!). More rocks density means lower performance on the planets, but if your card can handle it, they will look much better. Default value is 400. You can also try 800, but this is too much in my opinion and it makes driving the SRV tad more difficult.

3. Copy the contents of Preset directory to the directory with game EXE. In my case it's E:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64.

4. Set Gamma in game to 30 (3x arrow right) in Graphic Options. Warning! This assumes correct screen calibration for your monitor!

IN GAME USAGE

Turn the preset on and off with Scroll Lock key. Use Pause/Break key to turn the CA effect on and off.

CHANGELOG:

17/03/2016 - Release v.1.1

• Removed Deband shader, as it was blurring the image
  • Small tweaks to Lumasharpen, Bloom, CA i Vignette shaders
  • Change of Pause/Break key function - ised to turn CA on/off now
  • Added Gallery to the thread

13/03/2016 - Release v.1.0

Last edited:
WOW! Best one I've seen, so far.

I like it's actually kind of green-ish, in comparison to the usual blue hues. I don't like your HUD ( :p ) but that's not a problem to change back.

I was using a several Reshade and EDFX custom settings and I wasn't all too excited about their kind of "grainy" outcome. It does make the surface edges more... umm... photogenic, but overall, meh.
Your one is really nice and smooth. Thank you!

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
WOW! Best one I've seen, so far.

I like it's actually kind of green-ish, in comparison to the usual blue hues. I don't like your HUD ( :p ) but that's not a problem to change back.

I was using a several Reshade and EDFX custom settings and I wasn't all too excited about their kind of "grainy" outcome. It does make the surface edges more... umm... photogenic, but overall, meh.
Your one is really nice and smooth. Thank you!

Thanks Chris. The blues are actually exposed a little in my preset too, especially in the shadows and mid tones, but that's countered by red/green enhancement elsewhere. I think it gives Elite a nice feel without favouring any of the colours.

I was also using a few different presets, but wasn't happy with either. They all exaggerate with bloom and saturation IMHO or just completely change the feel of Elite by favouring a single hue (blue in most cases, like you've mentioned). I prefer more subtle and toned enhancements to my game, but I couldn't find such preset, so I made my own. It's inspired by Insomnia's one (thanks!), but his preset had a massive performance drop, which was a big downside.

Glad you enjoy it mate, fly safe!

I completely agree that less is very often more. :)
As far as the performance goes, until now I was using the "Horizons Detail FX", because it was kind of light on my GPU, but yours beats it. I was able to go back from 1.5 to 2.0 SS and keep steady 60. It's great.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I completely agree that less is very often more. :)
As far as the performance goes, until now I was using the "Horizons Detail FX", because it was kind of light on my GPU, but yours beats it. I was able to go back from 1.5 to 2.0 SS and keep steady 60. It's great.

Wow, that's great! Can I use your statements as testimonials? :D

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks mate, I hope you like it!

Also, I have added a
small gallery showing a few effects. More screenshots to be added soon. A video is in the making and should be available later this week :)

Forgive the newbie question, but has anyone got this running with the Steam version? The directory structures are different from the default.

Last edited:
I'm going to give this a try when I get back home. The gallery looks promising. I'm using EDFX now, but I don't like how everything looks a bit washed out by the high brightness settings. This seems more to my tastes.

Forgive the newbie question, but has anyone got this running with the Steam version? The directory structures are different from the default.

The only difference is the .exe location. Other than that there's no difference. Just place the package where elitedangerous64.exe is located. NOT the launcher...
@rootstrat
What's your CA settings?

Last edited:
Two questions in this context:
- do you have any reasonable estimates (or an informed guess) on how this would affect the framerate? For an Nvidia GTX960?
- my pet peeve about the graphics is the distortion when nearing the screen boundaries (on an ultrawide monitor, at least). Since you seem to be knowledgeable about these things: any ideas/tips on how to minimize this?

- do you have any reasonable estimates (or an informed guess) on how this would affect the framerate? For an Nvidia GTX960?
- my pet peeve about the graphics is the distortion when nearing the screen boundaries (on an ultrawide monitor, at least). Since you seem to be knowledgeable about these things: any ideas/tips on how to minimize this?

Yeah to be honest I'd been running the game with a slightly increased FOV setting, and still had it set to this "adjusted increased setting" after upgrading to a 21:9 widescreen monitor. Only recently I thought now I can return the FOV to standard (60, pretty sure that's the default value but anyway mine was set to 63) but now after setting this value back to 60 I've found this distortion at the edges is more noticeable. I'm not sure if this is correct but I think the FOV setting adjusts the vertical scaling so that would perhaps explain it, though please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, returning the FOV to 63 has somehow reduced the edge distortion or at the very least made it less noticeable on an ultra-widescreen monitor.

Edit: This is incorrect, read on for Rootsrat's advice to reduce the FOV apparently to reduce the distortion

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I'm going to give this a try when I get back home. The gallery looks promising. I'm using EDFX now, but I don't like how everything looks a bit washed out by the high brightness settings. This seems more to my tastes.

Yeah, I didn't like the EDFX Interstellar for that reason. It's one of the SweetFX filters that causes that. The exaggerated Bloom is another thing that's put me off EDFX.

Hope you'll like it mate!

The only difference is the .exe location. Other than that there's no difference. Just place the package where elitedangerous64.exe is located. NOT the launcher...
@rootstrat
What's your CA settings?

I'll need to check when I'm back home. They're very similar to yours I think, just slightly less pronounced.

The FPS drop on my GTX970 is about 8-10 FPS.

For the distorted view, lower the FOV in game. I have it set to 40 (manual edit to the settings file) and it's just fine to keep all the HUD on the screen, while not distorting the planets too much.

Last edited:
You can use the Lens Distortion shader in McFX.cfg to enable a sort of barrel distortion that couteract the egg shaped planets on the sides. But you need to tweak the HLSL code a little first.

For the distorted view, lower the FOV in game. I have it set to 40 (manual edit to the settings file) and it's just fine to keep all the HUD on the screen, while not distorting the planets too much.

Oh what really, my bad, apologies it must have been my imagination and the values I spoke of that I've been experimenting were too close a match (60 to 63). Could you remind me of the default value? (edit: as in the max the in-game slider would do)

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Oh what really, my bad, apologies it must have been my imagination and the values I spoke of that I've been experimenting were too close a match (60 to 63). Could you remind me of the default value? (edit: as in the max the in-game slider would do)

Sorry, I don't know what the max setting is... I set this ages ago and haven't touched it since :)

Sorry, I don't know what the max setting is... I set this ages ago and haven't touched it since :)

No problem, I'm sure if i set the value back to something much lower (much like your 40) this would set the in-game slider accordingly and then max it out to find the max default.

I'm going to try out your ReShade graphics preset injectors, thanks for this, I have been using EDFX and as much as I do like the star glare being a bit brighter, it is still a tad over the top with Ambient Light and Reinforced Contrast both disabled.

Top Bottom