Round Up of 3.3 Impressions - FDev Community Visit

No offense to you but we had the same kind of post from OA last year before 3.0 and we know the result. Again, not against you but I learnt my lesson.
He said something about the team's dedication, yes. Anything else in common with latest statements? What about being a little more specific if you are so keen to prove a point.

No offense ?

You accuse him of corruption and bribe taking and you mean no offense?
Ah c'mon. Don't take this guy as seriously as apparently he seems to perceive himself. :D

Hey there Alec! Was great meeting you again the other day!

So about the hyping things up - I think our conversation went something along the lines of discussing that I never actually talked that much about 2.4, and that some people seem to be remembering things incorrectly. In fact it's often forgotten that there were a number of us that visited Frontier last year (around 10) and I was only one of those. Many of the others made a number of forum posts on the visit.

At any rate, if anyone wants to take a look at my video from last year - they will specifically see that I barely discussed 2.4, aside to say that in terms of size it will be similar to the previous patches.

Also, as I mentioned in the video at the time, Frontier discussed some of the 2018 content with us - which at that point had not yet been given the name "Beyond". Interestingly (and as everyone knows), Beyond hasn't fully been released yet.

The other point I made in the video, was that Frontier appeared (in my personal opinion, although they didn't say as much), to have had a number of problems developing Elite. That's the exact opposite of hyping. :D I did of course go on to say they have a large team working on the game, and that is still true today. What are they working on, and why have some of recent updates been small? Well I have no idea about that. But I do know that Chapter Four is a very large update.

There's a lot of different comments on this thread about all manner of different things. It makes for some fun reading, and I'm not going to go though each post. But I did want to pick up on on the point you raised here. Whilst you and I certainly did have that conversation, I wanted to clarify that at no point do I feel that anything I had said in the 2017 visit video has overhyped anything - especially when you consider the fact that we still haven't even seen all of that stuff. Basically, I'm just echoing the point you and I made at the time - which was that some people very much mis-remember things (evidenced by the fact that some people in this thread are accusing me of being toxic and negative, whilst others are accusing me of over-hyping...and they are talking about the very same video, no less!!). :D

Either way, people are free to go listen to my video from last year and make up their own minds about that. :)
Don't worry, there shoul be many of us, that are both critics with what should be criticized, and also enjoy with the really good aspects of the game. That we perfectly understand your point of view.

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to seeing the changes.
Me too. BGS as player toy, I think is a very needed playground to be developped, so be it little or much, it's interesting to see what possible changes happens, in any case

Last edited:
Me too. BGS as player toy, I think is a very needed playground to be developped, so be it little or much, it's interesting to see what possible changes happens, in any case
Completely agree. The BGS is what should be giving some purpose to all the different activities. It does currently, but no very well. I am really hoping the new update helps solve some of these things. I am still hoping something like this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/292205-Idea-for-more-dynamic-systems?highlight=

Maybe with a bit more visual flair like the Evacuate & Repair stations scenarios we get at the moment after a thargoid attack.

You know it! :D
I still remember where I actually called you a broken alcoholic which turned out that I'd confused your video with that of someone else (a really nasty one at that :D). But yes, selective perception and all the more selective memories are a thing. I for one have learned my lesson and know for sure that I can't exclude myself from such unfortunate sorts of decomposition processes.

p.s. if you don't remember this incident anymore you self are not totally immune against it. :p

Last edited:
So the long and short of it is that The Visitors saw a lot of stuff that may improve aspects of the game for some people and there are still aspects of the game that will not receive improvements. Basically just like any other update, but bigger?

Was there any PVP representation at this event?
At least four of us openly discussed with FDev how the hardcore PvP community largely feels "forgotten", and that the popular requests for improved piracy, C&P, player-bounty-hunting, and Open-focused Powerplay, would all massively improve the game for them.

Networking and instancing improvements were a given, of course.

Completely agree. The BGS is what should be giving some purpose to all the different activities. It does currently, but no very well. I am really hoping the new update helps solve some of these things. I am still hoping something like this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/292205-Idea-for-more-dynamic-systems?highlight=

Maybe with a bit more visual flair like the Evacuate & Repair stations scenarios we get at the moment after a thargoid attack.
There are generally really good ideas!

For me, the basic (and more difficult) thing is that it should be more dynamic and there must be more interconnection in the repercussions/consequences, both between everything that is happening in a system with each other, and with the players, with what they are doing, and how it should affect the consideration that had of these in the system. At the moment there is very little coherence and the players are hardly purely external influences (inlfuencers), we are really nothing to the minor factions and super powers. They only care about our personal reputation.

Anyway, I prefer not to hype myself XD, and wait to see what there is at the end of all this. For little this can be, as long as it go in what I think is the right direction, for me, it would be great, fantastic and well done, Frontier. I would sign already for an improvement of the scenes after a thargoid attack, as you said, with enthusiasm!

You've become an easy target for some of the haters I think partly because you're pleasant and respectful, and because you ARE popular. You're doing a grand job [up]
ftr: i've obviously not read it all, but the most hateful post i've ever read about him came from a fanboi, basically calling him 'toxic' about the game. yes, you read that well: oa + ed + toxic. go figure.

then again, people playing the fame game should know it's a double edged sword. oa always came across to me as very centered and aware of that, and seems to handle it quite well. other narcissistic drama queens not so much [haha]

At least four of us openly discussed with FDev how the hardcore PvP community largely feels "forgotten", and that the popular requests for improved piracy, C&P, player-bounty-hunting, and Open-focused Powerplay, would all massively improve the game for them.

So that's a no...

now this is very interesting! that would be one of the crucial flaws of the game, and it would be good to know to what extent they internally reckon this is a core problem and intend to address it.

do you think you will be able to share any juicy details of these conversations after q4 goes live, or will that be bound by the nda forever?

Obsidian Ant is the only youtuber I regularly watch.
Imho he's quite neutral about the goods and bads in ED.

Just for the record.
I have quite a couple complaints about Fdev and what they're doing to ED up untill now, Q4 hopefully changes that.
I didn't like their special snowflake treatment by inviting a couple prominent players anex youtubers but denying them to share anything.
I admit that my reaction was a bit over the top, other personal matters play a role in that but I shouldn't have let that happen.

However, I don't hold anything against the invitees, they obviously had a great day at Frontier and their positive reports certainly makes me curious about the actual update when it arrives.

This doesn't mean I'm getting hyped now, I'll judge the Q4 update myself wether it's good enough for me to start playing ED again or not.

All the special snowflakes calling aside, did you ever consider how that probably works out if they would have chosen just some random players? Those they have invited are not especially known as fanboys but they have to lose a reputation - and this goes in both directions. Frontier can be relative sure that they will respect the NDA while their opinions are widely accepted by the community.

There is one part of the game that gets used the most, yet has no fun game-play mechanics and that is travelling. We just press a button and we end up at the next star system on our plotted route. Some game-play mechanic involving hyper space jump that would allow you to travel further on the plotted route and each system you pass the harder the it gets until your bumped out of hyper space or your fuel runs out.

Thanks Golgot for a fantastic summary. I agree that most of the info seems to be very positive.

However, some of the exploration stuff has me concerned. The new exploration mechanics themselves sound great, but I fear the implementation of the mechanics might be too rigid in practice and won't allow for enough player agency and decision making. Today the honk provides too much information, but it does provide a solid stepping stone for many styles of exploring. My concern is that 3.3 exploration will need to follow a strict routine every time before enough information is gathered to allow any decisions about what or how to further explore.

I'll have to wait to see the process in action before my fears are either confirmed or alleviated.

Mining sounds great, but I still am worried about hardpoint space with all of those new tools. And I really hope they finally rebalance ice mining to make it worth the effort, it's paid such pathetic credits ever since it was implemented.

I wish the Q4 livestreams were this week, the thirst to see this all in action is great.

Top Bottom