Round Up of 3.3 Impressions - FDev Community Visit

Thanks, Golgot for the excellent summary, and thanks to each of the folks that helped present our voice to FD during your time there. Looking forward to the demo!
Regards

Actually, FD kind of is.

Where they kinda do that?

Last time I checked no one asked me to be excited about anything. I am interested, curious about updates and this visit. Some things people say encourages me. But I am excited because of that? I am excited of prospect, of promise. Will update live up to that promise - that's I will find out in three or more weeks.

Things turn out to be better, and things turn out to be worse. That's life. Why someone working on some project wouldn't be excited? Last time I met Adam and Ed, they were genuinely excited about working on ED. Should they moderate themselves because of us?

Sounds good :) I'm feeling positive :)
Not going to expect anything until I see it in action but from everything I've heard, I'm optimistic :)

Question is ..... once the dust settles, what will all those Devs be doing next? Did anyone ask ? (Maybe I should ask this in the other thread)

Thank you Golgot for making this summary.
When reading all those bits put together it definitely seems like the invitees had a great and informative day.
The positivity shown by the invitees is a good sign although I wont get hyped by what others saw or heard.
I still think it was a bad pr move by Fdev but that shouldn't cloud my judgement of the actual Q4 update.

I still have my worries about the new exploration mechanism but then again I've hardly seen anything.
The upcoming reveal vids, announcements and beta will determine wether I'll continue to play ED or not.

Assuming the whiteknights can steady their horses for a moment, this is a genuine question not a criticism of FD.

I am intrigued why FD invited ‘opinion formers’ and then told them to keep their mouths shut. Having made the event public knowledge.

Perhaps it is just a question of timing, before we get to see what they did. Interested to see the next step.

Anyway, I am excited. So it worked on me.

Very well, we shall see. Still investing into the game, and taking financial risk, should mean they are still aiming for a successful, functional game. You see, exploration, "science", and posting crazy tinfoil to the forums takes a lot of time, background research, effort, coffee and emotional investment. You can't do that for a failed effort, and yet it is the very soul of it, the hidden subconsciousness where space-starfish are real, terrible and incomprehensible.

I am happy they paid for Malics flight tickets.

Well pretty much whenever the words great, amazing, exciting are trotted out. It's what you'd expect, they're trying tp generate sales, not apathy.

And it may well turn out to be great, amazing and exciting. We'll see when it's available to try.

So they are trying to generate sells from people that have already purchased the game?

Nah, still not seeing it.

Thanks for putting all this together Golgot, must have been a lot of effort. Very useful and informative. +1 rep.

Well pretty much whenever the words great, amazing, exciting are trotted out. It's what you'd expect, they're trying tp generate sales, not apathy.

And it may well turn out to be great, amazing and exciting. We'll see when it's available to try.

Why people working on project for whole year would like to generate apathy in first place? I know cynicism is a cool thing on Internet, but just take time to imagine their POV - why they should not be genuinely excited?

Of course it allows to remain skeptical and questioning. I just find this argument that FD should not say 'exciting' or express excitement is a bit...nonsense. It is childish really.

Thanks for the update Golgot. Very nice to hear that they're are serious about this update. It removes some of the doubt and worries that's been building up since Chapter 1. Can't wait now to see what's in the new version.

Alec Turner

Here's a thing that happened ... so they were about to show us something in mining. They reckoned they knew what the reaction was gonna be so it turned out Will filmed it. Anyway, they did the thing and yeah ... the room went frickin' nuts. After the mining section ... well, you know how most everyone thinks current mining is really boring ... well the buzz around the room was "hell, when this drops I'm heading into the rings and I ain't ever gonna come back out again!"
How's that for hype?

Hmm, free skins in the asteroids??

I quite like mining as it is now to be honest, it's fun (for a bit).

Anything they can do to augment that is good. One issue is the mining role seems a bit prehiphery to main ED, it's a career that isn't meshed particularly well with anything else. And since it requires the player to do a complete requip it's something that doesn't really happen too much.

It is hard to think what it they've done that gets such a response though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary OP. Have been watching the commentary closely since the visit and it all sounds very positive. I don't have any problems with those picked as they are people who's judgment I trust. Of course, I'll be happier when I can see and try some of this content myself, but the positivity coming out of the visit is good to see. I genuinely believe the Frontier crew have a high level of dedication to the game and I feel for them when they misjudge what the community reaction will be to something <looks sideways towards the Gnosis>. It must be hard when they anticipate a certain reaction and get something else. I'm sure they hate the idea of disappointing the community or sections of it. But roll on the reveals for this next update please, as it is sounding like something we've needed for a long time.

And a note to Frontier. I really think things like this recent visit need an Aussie flavour and perspective to them. I hereby volunteer to be that representative for next time (TIC).......sigh, the boss would likely not let me go anyway......ok then, I'll settle for vidconning into such visits instead.....

Where they kinda do that?

Last time I checked no one asked me to be excited about anything. I am interested, curious about updates and this visit. Some things people say encourages me. But I am excited because of that? I am excited of prospect, of promise. Will update live up to that promise - that's I will find out in three or more weeks.

Things turn out to be better, and things turn out to be worse. That's life. Why someone working on some project wouldn't be excited? Last time I met Adam and Ed, they were genuinely excited about working on ED. Should they moderate themselves because of us?

Well said

I am intrigued why FD invited ‘opinion formers’ and then told them to keep their mouths shut. Having made the event public knowledge

Nearly every game company does this... I think the point is so they are ready to discuss the new features when the beta comes out.

There's even a whole "pre-E3" event (judges week) before E3 where the press gets to see everything ahead of the show.

Top Bottom