Router type in network settings

I'm reasonably sure that in beta my router was listed as "full_cone", but now in live it's now listed as "port_restricted".
Don't know if it's a problem (after server maintenance i'm finally able to play just fine), but, anyone knows what that mean or what could have been changed?

I'm reasonably sure that in beta my router was listed as "full_cone", but now in live it's now listed as "port_restricted".
Don't know if it's a problem (after server maintenance i'm finally able to play just fine), but, anyone knows what that mean or what could have been changed?

What router have you got?

Cheers Cmdr's

Netgear d6200.
I'm trying to look for information about it, and if i didn't misunderstand them, port_restricted should be the desiderabile configuration, and full_cone should be "bad", so i guess it should be fine

Last edited:
"Full cone" is the best you can get with NAT; it means that once your internal system has sent something to an external host, the router effectively establishes port forwarding hat can be used by other external systems as long as it keeps being used.

The game disconnects me every few minutes...

Capture_1.jpg

As you can see from the image above, my router type is Port_Restricted and even though I've set a static IP address and opened a port so that ED can communicate with the game server(s), I'm getting disconnected every few minutes.

I have also followed this page: "I am having trouble connecting, do I need to change any settings on my router?" using the file "AppConfigLocal.xml" which is 134 bytes, setting up port 5101.

I have also read "I'm having multiplayer/connectivity issues. What should I include in my ticket?" with the file "AppConfigLocal.xml" which is 213 bytes - and as far as I can see both pages refer to the same location on my hard-drive - Am I confusing myself unnecessarily with the .xml files or do I need to insert both of them into different folders within the game installation?

As you can see, my UPnP is on, I've set static IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.150:5101 up but I've still got a Port_Restricted NAT type -- how is this possible?
And whilst there is no packet loss in the screen shot above, the highest I've seen after a disconnect has been 51%.
My MTU is the default set by my ISP and have been advised not to change it - but I'm open to suggestions...
I have given my firewall full access to both the public and trusted zones.

I have opened a ticket for this issue (Ticket #00000182706) but with a probable wait of over 48hrs I'd rather check with the community first just in case someone can tell me how to resolve this and so that I can cancel the ticket and give the guys and gals at Frontier a little less pressure during their working day.

Can anyone offer a solution to my problem(s) please?

The game disconnects me every few minutes...

Capture_1.jpg

As you can see from the image above, my router type is Port_Restricted and even though I've set a static IP address and opened a port so that ED can communicate with the game server(s), I'm getting disconnected every few minutes.

I have also followed this page: "I am having trouble connecting, do I need to change any settings on my router?" using the file "AppConfigLocal.xml" which is 134 bytes, setting up port 5101.

I have also read "I'm having multiplayer/connectivity issues. What should I include in my ticket?" with the file "AppConfigLocal.xml" which is 213 bytes - and as far as I can see both pages refer to the same location on my hard-drive - Am I confusing myself unnecessarily with the .xml files or do I need to insert both of them into different folders within the game installation?

As you can see, my UPnP is on, I've set static IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.150:5101 up but I've still got a Port_Restricted NAT type -- how is this possible?
And whilst there is no packet loss in the screen shot above, the highest I've seen after a disconnect has been 51%.
My MTU is the default set by my ISP and have been advised not to change it - but I'm open to suggestions...
I have given my firewall full access to both the public and trusted zones.

I have opened a ticket for this issue (Ticket #00000182706) but with a probable wait of over 48hrs I'd rather check with the community first just in case someone can tell me how to resolve this and so that I can cancel the ticket and give the guys and gals at Frontier a little less pressure during their working day.

Can anyone offer a solution to my problem(s) please?
This is a long shot but did you ever get a response and have this figured out? I am having the exact problem.

Deleted member 257907

D
This is a long shot but did you ever get a response and have this figured out? I am having the exact problem.

Im not aware of this being issue with elite but port forwarding normally is the way to open NAT.
below link says which ports to forward but routers have different brands and configuration pages so you'd have to find the settings in your router.

Im not aware of this being issue with elite but port forwarding normally is the way to open NAT.
below link says which ports to forward but routers have different brands and configuration pages so you'd have to find the settings in your router.
Thanks for the response but the appropriate port is already open for ED, I was more interested in whether or not he was able to change the test in his game settings from PORT_RESTRICTED to Full Cone or what ever other router type it displays. But again thank you for replying to a 3 year old post lol :) Cheers!

I've been messing with this for a while now and literally the only way i can get full_cone is to open tcp ports from 5000-65535 which is a lot of ports to have open. Unusre if this is unsafe or not.

its a bad state of affairs that its still an issue though aint it? haha
Maybe. It depends on the set up and what people have tried.
There are routers out there that are just rubbish both for configuring and speed of throughput, hint: ISP's cheap standard offerings.
UPNP should be disabled as well. Google why.
I have a DrayTek Vigor2862 which is very good but will be overkill for most people.

I've been messing with this for a while now and literally the only way i can get full_cone is to open tcp ports from 5000-65535 which is a lot of ports to have open. Unusre if this is unsafe or not.

Network configuration is not something to be messed about with : ) one setting wrong can affect many more.
There should be no need to open so many ports and I would say it is unsafe.
On a PC you will also have a firewall to deal with.
I have three PC's that I can play ED on. Each has one different port forward set up for them.
PC one has 5101 forwarded to it, PC two has 5102 forwarded to it and PC three has 5103 forwarded to it.
Obviously my PC's have fixed local IP addresses as well.
This means I can play a different Cmdr on each PC if I like and sometimes do on my PC's that are side by side.
As you can see below my Router Type is Port_Restricted and it works just fine, no need for Full_Cone.

Screenshot_0000.jpg

Are you actually having any network type issues?
If so post them and what your set up is and what you have tried.

And just in case you've missed it this is a good read:

alright then so i fixed mine i had to open port 60000 for some weird reason i also have upnp on port 5100 but i had full_cone when i didn't do this too. Give it ago if anyone else is having issues im on BT in the uk too.

Maybe. It depends on the set up and what people have tried.
There are routers out there that are just rubbish both for configuring and speed of throughput, hint: ISP's cheap standard offerings.
UPNP should be disabled as well. Google why.
I have a DrayTek Vigor2862 which is very good but will be overkill for most people.

Network configuration is not something to be messed about with : ) one setting wrong can affect many more.
There should be no need to open so many ports and I would say it is unsafe.
On a PC you will also have a firewall to deal with.
I have three PC's that I can play ED on. Each has one different port forward set up for them.
PC one has 5101 forwarded to it, PC two has 5102 forwarded to it and PC three has 5103 forwarded to it.
Obviously my PC's have fixed local IP addresses as well.
This means I can play a different Cmdr on each PC if I like and sometimes do on my PC's that are side by side.
As you can see below my Router Type is Port_Restricted and it works just fine, no need for Full_Cone.

View attachment 252214

Are you actually having any network type issues?
If so post them and what your set up is and what you have tried.

And just in case you've missed it this is a good read:
yea you can easily connect to the servers to play with port restricted but p2p connections to other players requires a full_cone or open nat if you don't then you get weird things like dysnc which for example can make a thargoid heart take zero damage ect. If you play solo then it wont apply to you but essentially what you have shown me here is that you have forward your ports and it has not worked, which is the problem I had until i randomly fixed it through trial and error.

yea you can easily connect to the servers to play with port restricted but p2p connections to other players requires a full_cone or open nat if you don't then you get weird things like dysnc which for example can make a thargoid heart take zero damage ect. If you play solo then it wont apply to you but essentially what you have shown me here is that you have forward your ports and it has not worked, which is the problem I had until i randomly fixed it through trial and error.
Why do you think my configuration doesn't work?
I see other Cmdrs in Open, just now using Resource Monitor / Network Activity I can see 9 Cmdrs from the UK, Switzerland and Germany (that I can identify) all connecting with p2p connections.

Why do you think my configuration doesn't work?
I see other Cmdrs in Open, just now using Resource Monitor / Network Activity I can see 9 Cmdrs from the UK, Switzerland and Germany (that I can identify) all connecting with p2p connections.

What I think he is meaning, is that if you have a restricted network setup (ie non working inbound connections), then you are relying on that the other players in your instance have working inbound, so that your client can connect to them. But if all the players in the instance, have restricted setups, there will be no instance, as you are now unable to establish a connection between the players. This is something we can notice with how long it takes to enter an instance, like jumping into a system, dropping out of super cruise near the space station etc, etc.

So the game detects hey there is already a player in super cruise in the system you are jumping too,a dn that player is in your "part" of the world, like Europe, so lets connect these players, so part of the loading screen, ie the jump animation, is to establish a connection with the player already there.

If that player have fully working NAT setup, then you have no problem connecting to the other player, and you are now both in the same instance. Now the player have reached the station, and drops out of super cruise, and you now becomes the instance holder.
Another player jumps into the system, with a fully working NAT setup, So that player cannot connect to you, but you can connect to the other player, and soon the other player is visible in super cruise, that player is just passing through and is soon jumping away.

Now comes a 3rd player, that have a similar restricted network setup as you, and now that player cannot join your instance, as they cannot establish the connection with you, and you cannot connect to the other player, this will for the other player end up being a longer time to load the instance, as the game will try to establish a connection, and then eventually give up, back in the days, this meant a connection error for that player, or just sitting there in limbo, like forever... now the game seems to realise that connection is not possible, and a new instance is created for the other player...

This is a very simplified version on how this works, and if there are more players, the game try to bounce and share the traffic between those players who can talk to each other. So it is quite possible, that if there already was another player in your instance that have a working NAT, now that player could relay data between you and the newly arrived player, and this of course can introduces lag.

And there are several ways that you can establish connections between two clients behind NAT, and which of these works is highly dependant on your router and what settings your router has. Some are very competent and forgiving, and others are severely restricted. and to make it worse, it is not possible for all to choose their router, as some are forced to use whatever router their ISP is giving them... Hence why this is so complicated.

If you want to dig deeper into what the different variants of "NAT" means, and what restrictions we can encounter here.
I can recommend this page.
https://dh2i.com/kbs/kbs-2961448-understanding-different-nat-types-and-hole-punching/

What I think he is meaning, is that if you have a restricted network setup (ie non working inbound connections), then you are relying on that the other players in your instance have working inbound, so that your client can connect to them. But if all the players in the instance, have restricted setups, there will be no instance, as you are now unable to establish a connection between the players. This is something we can notice with how long it takes to enter an instance, like jumping into a system, dropping out of super cruise near the space station etc, etc.

So the game detects hey there is already a player in super cruise in the system you are jumping too,a dn that player is in your "part" of the world, like Europe, so lets connect these players, so part of the loading screen, ie the jump animation, is to establish a connection with the player already there.

If that player have fully working NAT setup, then you have no problem connecting to the other player, and you are now both in the same instance. Now the player have reached the station, and drops out of super cruise, and you now becomes the instance holder.
Another player jumps into the system, with a fully working NAT setup, So that player cannot connect to you, but you can connect to the other player, and soon the other player is visible in super cruise, that player is just passing through and is soon jumping away.

Now comes a 3rd player, that have a similar restricted network setup as you, and now that player cannot join your instance, as they cannot establish the connection with you, and you cannot connect to the other player, this will for the other player end up being a longer time to load the instance, as the game will try to establish a connection, and then eventually give up, back in the days, this meant a connection error for that player, or just sitting there in limbo, like forever... now the game seems to realise that connection is not possible, and a new instance is created for the other player...

This is a very simplified version on how this works, and if there are more players, the game try to bounce and share the traffic between those players who can talk to each other. So it is quite possible, that if there already was another player in your instance that have a working NAT, now that player could relay data between you and the newly arrived player, and this of course can introduces lag.

And there are several ways that you can establish connections between two clients behind NAT, and which of these works is highly dependant on your router and what settings your router has. Some are very competent and forgiving, and others are severely restricted. and to make it worse, it is not possible for all to choose their router, as some are forced to use whatever router their ISP is giving them... Hence why this is so complicated.

If you want to dig deeper into what the different variants of "NAT" means, and what restrictions we can encounter here.
I can recommend this page.
https://dh2i.com/kbs/kbs-2961448-understanding-different-nat-types-and-hole-punching/
Thanks for explaining that so i didn't have to haha

Top Bottom