Running out of stars?

I don't know why, but I am trying to head along the spiral arms and I just get to a point (very quickly) where it seems there are no stars. 2015-05-05_00002.jpg2015-05-05_00001.jpg

In the map view it shows no signs of any civilisation (economy, govt ect) and if you go to realistic view it's just loads of stars with numbers for names, and all of them are just anarchy systems with no starports or even outposts.

Are other people experiencing this? I'm not heading out into the void, I'm in the middle of one of the arms trying to make my way to the centre...

I'm not heading out into the void, I'm in the middle of one of the arms trying to make my way to the centre...

You are heading out into the void. There's a bubble about 500ly across around Sol with people and stations and what not. Outside of that there's stars and planets and asteroids and nobody but other explorers. It's all in 'the void' or 'the black' or whatever you want to call it, but you're not docking anywhere until you get back to that inhabited bubble.

You are heading out into the void. There's a bubble about 500ly across around Sol with people and stations and what not. Outside of that there's stars and planets and asteroids and nobody but other explorers. It's all in 'the void' or 'the black' or whatever you want to call it, but you're not docking anywhere until you get back to that inhabited bubble.

Well if that's the case, I'm pretty disappointed. All that hype about 400bn stars, and actually you can't really go to any of them. Might as well just buy a telescope. Not much of an improvement on the original Elite from the 80's. They had 8 galaxies there and you could chase missions across the galaxies and trade with every system on there.

You can go to them all, you just need to invest in a fuel scoop so you can grab a few tonnes of hydrogen from the stars you pass to keep the tank topped up. Trading and missions are currently limited to the systems in the bubble - of which I think there are still more than there were in the original.

Well if that's the case, I'm pretty disappointed. All that hype about 400bn stars, and actually you can't really go to any of them. Might as well just buy a telescope. Not much of an improvement on the original Elite from the 80's. They had 8 galaxies there and you could chase missions across the galaxies and trade with every system on there.

8 Galaxies with like 256 systems each which is still a lot less than the number of inhabited systems in ED. Also you can visit all of the 400bn systems but it would be silly if they all had stations.

As above has said. Also from a lore point of view why would humanity expand beyond what they need for resources and living space.
I mean if earth suddenly had access to the galaxy I'd rather live in the core with good facilities and a friendly planet close by in case of an emergency than be millions of miles from anyone else...

Finally as I understand it the game will develop and human space will expand or shrink depending on future actions, I think hostile aliens have been mentioned more than once :)

Sorry if I misunderstand, but I sounds like you are going exploring, then complaining that there isn't a Starbucks

I think you've missed a large point of what this game is about...

Buy a scoop and a half decent ship and go 'exploring', and then you'll see what 'exploring' is all about. It's not for everyone, like doing nothing else but trading isn't for everyone, but it's definitely nothing to be dissapointed with the game about.

Last edited:
Once you have been exploring you will realise that colonised space is incredibly small. As has lready been stated you can visit every star in the galaxy, you just need a fuel scoop. If you are expecting every star to have a station then you are going to be disappointed, but bear in mind its the year 3300, there is no way every star would be able to have a station ina matter of about 1,000 years, it would take millions of years.

Have you made a definitive decision to go exploring or are you just having a look round the neighbourhood? Either way I think you need to do a bit more research or you are likely to end up in trouble (run out of fuel etc)

Well yes, I had decided to explore. I don't know why everybody assumes I haven't bought a fuel scoop. What annoys me is I've just spent over £100 on a joystick and then found I can't park my ship outside the tiny area that has space ports. (And it really is very, very tiny compared to the 400bn systems touted by the developers) I feel like someone who's bought an electric car and discovered the only place you can charge it is in my garage. (Well maybe that's would have been the case few years ago)

i don't agree with most of the comments on this thread. I can understand that humans will have a very 'Sol-centric' view of the universe, but I don't agree that it is the centre of the universe. In fact I would say the Sun is in a real backwater. It isn't even a proper spiral arm! Someone said it would be "silly" if the whole universe would be 'developed', for want of a better word, but I think it is far more silly that 'our area' is the only civilised area of the galaxy. I think this is really narrow minded of the developers and doesn't continue the tradition of the original game of the eighties.

I think that there should be the option of trading across the entire galaxy, even if only 5% of the systems have an automatically generated station. When I go exploring I like to spend months of real time doing it, and not a quick dash across the universe for a screenshot and back again, like a meerkat which has spotted a scrap of food. Maybe I have missed some function, but I would like to go to the centre, or a faraway section of the universe, park, and then be able to log out and get on with my real life. Then log back in again, and continue my epic voyage. I think the original Elite was better in that respect.

I really don't want to be around Sol, where you get interdicted all the time by other players who think it's funny to attack people for no reason. So this is why I decided that going exploring was what I wanted to do, I didn't like the area around Sol. I'd like to explore the galaxy and never need to return. Set up camp where nobody can find me. Much prefer the company of aliens...

I don't agree that humans should be the only race that are intelligent enough to build space ports and the only ones we should meet in the game. I also don't think it will remain that way. At least I hope so. Otherwise expect to see a bargain X55 Rhino on eBay.

Right, 'nuff said. I have a real life little daughter who wants to play with me. Priorities!

You do know you can log out anywhere? Just head out to where you want, log off in a safe spot in the system you are. Don't log of in a asteroid belt beside a star on on any orbital line and you are golden. Lots and lots of people has been out there for weeks and months on the far side of the galaxy.

// G

When I go exploring I like to spend months of real time doing it, and not a quick dash across the universe for a screenshot and back again, like a meerkat which has spotted a scrap of food. Maybe I have missed some function, but I would like to go to the centre, or a faraway section of the universe, park, and then be able to log out and get on with my real life. Then log back in again, and continue my epic voyage. I think the original Elite was better in that respect.

You can do exactly that, its called exploring. You do not need a station to log off, anywhere will do, your ship will be safe until you return.

Well yes, I had decided to explore. I don't know why everybody assumes I haven't bought a fuel scoop. What annoys me is I've just spent over £100 on a joystick and then found I can't park my ship outside the tiny area that has space ports. (And it really is very, very tiny compared to the 400bn systems touted by the developers) I feel like someone who's bought an electric car and discovered the only place you can charge it is in my garage. (Well maybe that's would have been the case few years ago)

i don't agree with most of the comments on this thread. I can understand that humans will have a very 'Sol-centric' view of the universe, but I don't agree that it is the centre of the universe. In fact I would say the Sun is in a real backwater. It isn't even a proper spiral arm! Someone said it would be "silly" if the whole universe would be 'developed', for want of a better word, but I think it is far more silly that 'our area' is the only civilised area of the galaxy. I think this is really narrow minded of the developers and doesn't continue the tradition of the original game of the eighties.

I think that there should be the option of trading across the entire galaxy, even if only 5% of the systems have an automatically generated station. When I go exploring I like to spend months of real time doing it, and not a quick dash across the universe for a screenshot and back again, like a meerkat which has spotted a scrap of food. Maybe I have missed some function, but I would like to go to the centre, or a faraway section of the universe, park, and then be able to log out and get on with my real life. Then log back in again, and continue my epic voyage. I think the original Elite was better in that respect.

I really don't want to be around Sol, where you get interdicted all the time by other players who think it's funny to attack people for no reason. So this is why I decided that going exploring was what I wanted to do, I didn't like the area around Sol. I'd like to explore the galaxy and never need to return. Set up camp where nobody can find me. Much prefer the company of aliens...

I don't agree that humans should be the only race that are intelligent enough to build space ports and the only ones we should meet in the game. I also don't think it will remain that way. At least I hope so. Otherwise expect to see a bargain X55 Rhino on eBay.

Right, 'nuff said. I have a real life little daughter who wants to play with me. Priorities!

Respect for your opinions :) But I disagree with.... erm, all of them :D

Going in to RP and "lore" mode :
Have you ever seen a corner shop in an empty city ? (and I mean a large city with NO inhabitants) is there a point ?
Do you know how difficult and expensive it is to build a spaceport locally? let alone 1000 of LYs away ?
I have traveled 100000 LYs in this game, and only ever seen 2 Cmdrs in deep space, and even then it was by prior arrangement

Do you know about the cordoned off systems in this game like Regor ? (hint : more content to come :) )

Q: what do you mean by parking near a spaceport ? and parking up 1000 of LYs from SOL to get on with your life, then log back in to play ?
we can do both of those !

Regarding to not wanting to interact with us, well you already can(Solo mode) and regarding aliens, again, you will be able to in future. Have patience :)

p.s. 95% of my gameplay in ED has so far been outside the civilisation bubble, with no interaction at all with other CMDRs

Oh good. I didn't know that. I guess that was my real gripe...
Otherwise I would suggest the developers change their slogan: "400bn stars. Blaze your own trail. Make sure you're back before bedtime!"

Oh good. I didn't know that. I guess that was my real gripe...
Otherwise I would suggest the developers change their slogan: "400bn stars. Blaze your own trail. Make sure you're back before bedtime!"

I am 26,000 Ly from the nearest station, Ulysses is further. When you are in a system you are exploring and wish to save, then slow down, ensure you are not near any star, asteroid field, planet or orbit line and save your game. Some exit supercruise, personally I dont, and I still have 100% hull.

I am 26,000 Ly from the nearest station, Ulysses is further. When you are in a system you are exploring and wish to save, then slow down, ensure you are not near any star, asteroid field, planet or orbit line and save your game. Some exit supercruise, personally I dont, and I still have 100% hull.

Heh, i have my ritual.

Fly away from the ecliptic.
Exit supercruise.
Fly away from the low energy wake - because, Thargoids might be out there.
Turn on shields - wait for them to fully charge.
Exit game.

When i log back in, turn off shields and go again.

Something of the RPer in me says you don't go to bed at night with your shields off in a distant system :D

Fly away from the low energy wake - because, Thargoids might be out there.

Do you actually get Thargoids? ... I have an old score to settle with them!
I'm going to buy the portable 'puncture repair kit' so I can repair any damage while out there. But also upgrade my ship. Need more jump range than a Cobra can afford. Hope these Asp explorers aren't too expensive..

Cobra are great explorers, a well equipped one will cost you well under 8 mill and take you almost 25 Ly per jump, Sure you can go all out kitted for 12 mill but not necessary.
Asp will net you 15 mil or so and get you 10 Ly per jump more. Sure you could also go ballistic and pay 25 mill for a A-grade Asp.

Personally I believe jump range are not super important unless you plan to circumnavigate the galaxy or have a specific long range goal to reach.

// G

Last edited:
Do you actually get Thargoids? ... I have an old score to settle with them!
I'm going to buy the portable 'puncture repair kit' so I can repair any damage while out there. But also upgrade my ship. Need more jump range than a Cobra can afford. Hope these Asp explorers aren't too expensive..

You could go to the Coal Sack nebula. It's just "north" the civilized bubble, that dark thing you can see in the galactic map. Star density is always good, so your Cobra can handle that pretty well. Distance is around 600Ly from Sol, so, depending on how many systems you want to scan, it can take from one evening to one year, and if you get tired you can rush back to any station in 30 minutes.

It has been my maiden exploration, i learned there how to do it, and i never felt that stranded to worry. If you find your way to do it, then you'll see the galaxy will open up, and after i would kindly re-ask you if it feels small.

P.S. Auto maintainance repair stuff isn't that usefull: it can't repair hull and neither power plant, get damaged itself, and carry ammunitions that weight. I would suggest you an heat sink for the occasion you have a bad landing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom