SA vessels attacking without Wanted tag?

Yo folks - bit of an odd one.
I've been spending a pleasant evening of bad guy smackery in a High-Res near my home, and having a whale of a good time making ships go boom. :D Reloaded my ammo twice; these Incendiary Overcharged MC's are more fun than a box of kittens with machine guns and remain my staple energy transmission device toward those I choose to dance with. ;)
BUT - during one lovely battle between my Krait II Xeno's Paradox and a trio of regrettably misinformed Federal Dropships of the criminal persuasion, I suddenly had several other red blips on my radar - and they turned out to be SA ships.
Now - that is not at all unusual. I have popped a few System Authority ships in my time; those MC rounds go simply everywhere and they don't really bother with the fact the hull they're impacting happens to be friendly. When that happens I power the FSD, boost like crazy and get my asp out of there, tossing an idle "Sorry!" over my shoulder as I zoom out of range. Occasionally I need to pay a fine. Like...ouch; take it out of petty cash.

THIS was different. Especially in a High-Rez, which is quite tame, I have good situational awareness and I know if a cop is within my firing angle. None were. I received no warning by radio, and once getting out of Dodge determined that no fine had been levied - which is always the case when you attack SA ships. Further, only three of about nine SA ships actually turned on me; the others were green to my scanner, peacefully picking off bad guys 20 klicks behind.
Any idea why just a few SA ships might decide to take umbrage with me? I KNOW I didn't hit any, not even with stray rounds when my target was spoofing with chaff. I received no warning, no fine, my record is clean, but a couple SA ships targeted me.
If this is a case of a few corrupt cops COOL! I'd LOVE it if ED added that little detail to the fighting, but I've never seen it before.
Cheers!

Last edited:
This does happen from time to time. You don't always receive a fine when SA attacks you. You can hit one enough to aggro them without incurring a fine or bounty. Then they shoot back and go red. Sometimes the other SA ships aggro on you as well without any further provocation. If there is no bounty or fine, typically all you need to do is jump out of the instance and then back in and everything is fine again.

This does happen from time to time. You don't always receive a fine when SA attacks you. You can hit one enough to aggro them without incurring a fine or bounty. Then they shoot back and go red. Sometimes the other SA ships aggro on you as well without any further provocation. If there is no bounty or fine, typically all you need to do is jump out of the instance and then back in and everything is fine again.
Yes, but I know for a fact I did not shoot an SA vessel. I have good fire discipline and only fire when the target is alone in my firing angle. There was no mistake, no unseen ship beyond; I unload ONLY when the target is solo in my sights. That's why I'm a bit confused.

Do you have point defense guns? Those things can be pretty indiscriminate.
If not, check the issue tracker.
I certainly don't - they take away from my Shield Booster capacity and are fairly useless in my situation - with a G5 Bi-weave, 3 G5 SB's and 4 G5 SCBs (2 5's, 2 4's) NOTHING gets through my shields and I haven't needed to pop an SCB in months for PvE. (PvP is another story lol)
It's nothing major; just a couple of cops that took offence to my presence and went red. If it was independent action on their part, I consider that good storytelling; the cops are not all uniformly 'good guys'. I'm just checking to see if it actually was. :)

Yeah, except on my mining and trading ships I don't use point defense either. They are handy for dealing with hatch breakers though.

If you had limpets out they could have retrieved illicit cargo. Once you get scanned with that, all the cops turn hostile.

Top Bottom