Samsung Gear VR with ED??

Wondering if anyone managed to get Elite Dangerous working with Samsung Gear VR?
Read that need some additional 3rd party apk for the phone to stream the screen as 3D to the Gear VR, but so far none tested for Elite Dangerous

Wondering if anyone managed to get Elite Dangerous working with Samsung Gear VR?
Read that need some additional 3rd party apk for the phone to stream the screen as 3D to the Gear VR, but so far none tested for Elite Dangerous

I'm getting mine tomorrow i'll be diving into that very topic, limelight, steam, and trinus gyre look promising

I'm getting mine tomorrow i'll be diving into that very topic, limelight, steam, and trinus gyre look promising

Thanks man! Do update us on it. I've got a Note 4 but couldn't get the smartphone headtracker to work on it.
Got FaceTrackNoir to work but find it a bit nauseous after a while as I had to keep my eyes on the screen while moving my head left/right

Rift is till in dev mode

This is never going to work.

Firstly you would need to get Elite to detect it - it won't. Without a DK2 directly plugged in the Oculus Option isn't there.

Even if there was some hack to get this working via something like Limelight the latency would be horrendous. You are effectively suggesting doing something Oculus themselves have said is years away from being achievable.

Last edited:
This is never going to work.

Firstly you would need to get Elite to detect it - it won't. Without a DK2 directly plugged in the Oculus Option isn't there.

Even if there was some hack to get this working via something like Limelight the latency would be horrendous.
Last I checked samsung vr supports oculus protocols, so should work? but yeah heard about latency issues too.

Yes it does but Elite will have no idea the Gear exists as its not physically connected.
Well even if its wirelessly connected I cannot see the problem, unless Elite is looking for a very specific device rather then just talking with the hardware via the protocol/api, don't know that though.

OP, try and see if you can get it to work!

First you would need to find a way to connect it. Then you'd need the appropriate drivers - wich don't exist.
Then you'd need the game to detect and support it.
And after all that you still would have no positional tracking because the gear VR does not support that wich makes the whole thing pretty pointless.

First you would need to find a way to connect it. Then you'd need the appropriate drivers - wich don't exist.
Then you'd need the game to detect and support it.
And after all that you still would have no positional tracking because the gear VR does not support that wich makes the whole thing pretty pointless.

You do know that the OP is talking about the Google cardboard style case that Samsung have made, to take their android phone.

Someone would need to make a Gear VR specific app that could stream the PC screen and use the Gear VR's headtracking. I read that you can't use standard cardboard apps with the GVR since when you plug in the Note 4 the phone automatically goes into Gear VR mode and only lets you use GVR specific apps. If you could plug the phone into the case so you could use the GVR lenses only then you could basically use it as an upmarket cardboard/archos/colorcross device. I doubt you could utilise the GVR's advanced head tracking then though.

I have a Note 4 and was going to get a GVR but I can't bring myself to pay for something that will only run mobile quality apps and not Elite. If this managed to work though I'd seriously consider it. At the moment I have the Archos/Colorcross headset. It's not bad but I doubt the field of view is anywhere near as good as GVR and I haven't managed to get satisfactory headtracking in Elite yet.

Wondering if anyone has looked at this recently.
Any changes in the past few months?

Afaik there is no way to utilize the Gear in any other way with ED or other PC titles other than as a nicer HMD than Google Cardboard. However if you want to play ED or other games on it there are plenty of choices to do so. Head tracking from the Note 4 can be easily accomplished with FreePieIMU + Open Track, streaming games to the Note 4 can be done with a load of different software, best choices being Moonlight (for Nvidia only) or Splashtop or Kainy or Trinus VR. Lens distortion & chromatic aberration and aspect ratio correction can be accomplished with SweetFX (details here). With a decent enough USB or Wifi setup you can reduce the latency to almost negligible amounts only minor downside is lack of translation tracking (which can also be overcome if you want) and some minor banding in darker colours. The Note 4 can be placed in the Gear VR without being plugged directly into the inbuilt USB socket, which prevents it from going into VR mode. Although im not sure if that then makes it impossible to connect another USB plug to it as well, which would limit your choice to wifi only in that case (which is not an issue with a decent enough setup) and no option to charge the battery while playing.

Last edited:
I just got my S7 and Gear VR, i'm running it through Stream Theatre andit works quite nicely all things considered with elite dangerous, the main issue for me is it needs a lot of re-orientating, it's a lot better with my Track IR than with mouse look but it still needs to be done a lot.

It has definitely tempted me towards a CV1 or vive at some point but for now i think I'll stick to head tracking unless anyone can suggest a way to minimise the need to re-orient so much

Video and tutorial in description.
[video=youtube;3bH46VKHLUM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bH46VKHLUM[/video]

You may also try Trinus Gyre.

I tried this yesterday with my new Galaxy S7, but right after docking the S7 with the USB connector on the HMD the Oculus Home starts automatically.
Sure it's possible to root and freeze apps...
It's also possible to set the Gear USB connector to the widest setting to fit the large phones. That made the S7 to never connect to the USB connector. But then the S7 wouldn't be fixated and it would fall as soon as you move.
Trinus VR was very unstable once getting the phone in place without being connected to the Gear VR. Trinus VR didn't clone the correct monitor either as I have 2 active monitors. It also displayed 7 FPS........

Overall, I won't be using my Gear VR with my PC as it is simply too much hassle to even set it up. And even if I could set it up, it's way too slow to even enjoy it.
I'm a little disappointed, but it's actually something I expected. Besides there are some cool games and apps on the Oculus and Samsung app stores. I'll play those instead. :)

Last edited:
I tried with trinus VR today, geforce experience just didn't want to play ball the only way i can get it to see either stream theatre or moonlight is to reinstall GFE every time i want to try it. Way too much hassle tbh. I think i'll stick to headtracking instead. I'd like VR but that's going to mean spending upwards of £1000 for it. Soooo tempted but i think my wife might actually kill me if i do lol

I just got my S7 and Gear VR, i'm running it through Stream Theatre andit works quite nicely all things considered with elite dangerous, the main issue for me is it needs a lot of re-orientating, it's a lot better with my Track IR than with mouse look but it still needs to be done a lot.

It has definitely tempted me towards a CV1 or vive at some point but for now i think I'll stick to head tracking unless anyone can suggest a way to minimise the need to re-orient so much

Hello Zhaith, I just got my S7 as well, how did you manage to get to play Elite Dangerous? I am really looking forward playing this game with my Gear VR.

If you dont want the Oculus software to start when you put it in you GearVR there are 2 options.

1. Plug your phone into your Gear VR while lifting the USB connector so that the phone is fitted underneath the USB holder. (Warning, be careful not damage the USB extension)
2. The second option is to install the Package Disabler app (2$). Install, start it up, and scroll down to Oculus and disable the autostart.

Top Bottom