Samsung Odyssey Info

I see there isn't too much info on the forum for the Odyssey so if you'd like give any tips or info around getting the best out of the Odyssey or Odyssey plus feel free to share!
I almost gave up on the Odyssey plus when I first bought it after using the CV1 for 2 years. But the resolution increase kept me interested long enough to dig my heels in and try and solve the main problems of fit and performance. Ive now got it to a point were performance and fit are good enough for me to enjoy the new resolution.

Heres what Ive learnt so far:

• You'll need to install SteamVR and the free Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR from the steam store to play the standalone ED version. Once all these are installed you can start WMR app and make sure 6DOF is all working in the cliffhouse and then start WMR for SteamVR and wait for it to put you in Steam Home. Then start ED launcher and click start.
  • Major stuttering - I was getting unplayable stutter on first use running on a i7 4770s and RTX2080 16GB RAM SSD. I was able to solve this on Windows 1903 by editing Settings > Mixed Reality > Headset Display > Experience Options > 60Hz. Not ideal but this makes ED run smoother than it ever has and Ive yet to notice the missing 30 Hz!
  • OpenVR Advanced settings - if you've installed this you might find that you can no longer center your HMD when you get into ED. Uninstalling this software solves the problem.
  • For me this headset has been seriously uncomfortable. Ive solved this by loosening it completely, which of course makes it slide down on your head. Added a horizontal Velcro strap just in front of the earphone mountings to take the pressure off your forehead. I havent tried a front to back strap yet but that might be better.
  • The earphones sound similar to the CV1 when you push them against your ears but in their natural position they lose some of their bass. Its still good enough but need to find a way to get them to push tighter on your ears to get a better sound quality. This may not be an issue if youve got a moon shaped head ;)
  • SteamVR Motion reprojection - As mentioned below if you want to enable auto motion reprojection see here
  • SteamVR Motion Smoothing - This will always be off as it is not enabled when using Windows Mixed Reality headsets with SteamVR, because their underlying display drivers use different techniques when applications miss frame-rate (source)
  • 3DOF not 6DOF issue. If you are finding that your whole seated view is moving up and down when you move your head up and down whilst in the cockpit then your headset has gone into 3DOF mode instead of 6DOF (degrees of freedom). This seems to happen for me if I just fire up ED without starting WMR first making sure 6DOF is working in the cliff house and then starting WMR for SteamVR, waiting to get put into Steam home and then loading ED. Also occurs if theres not enough light in the room.
  • As at 4th Aug 2019 I'm finding the best settings are
    WMR > Settings > Heaset Display > Visual Quality = High
    WMR > Settings > Heaset Display > Experience options = 60hz (For some reason 60Hz looks clearer than 90Hz to me in ED)
    WMR > Settings > Heaset Display > Input Switching Manual (this seems to solve the mouse sometimes not appearing in ED)
    SteamVR > Video > Resolution > 150%
    ED > Quality > HMD =1.0, SS =1.0, AA =Off, AO=Off
  • Terrain Work slider - Ive read elsewhere that pushing this left pushes terrain processing to the CPU whilst right pushes it to GPU so depending on whats got more headroom in your system this may improve your overall framrate.
  • If the intro video is not displaying correctly or making you cross-eyed you can rename the it to something like "C:\Users\buzz\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Movies\Ident_Frontier_EliteNeutral.webm.bk" so it doesnt play at all.
  • Prevent any screen flickers back to SteamVR's loading screen while playing ED - SteamVR > Settings > Developer > Do not fade to grid when app hangs.
Improving Fit

Here are some pics if you want to get an idea of how to add straps with cheap Velcro. I started with horizontal straps but settled on the single vertical strap from front to back. Helps remove some of the pressure on the forehead if you're feeling it. You'll see on the last pic of the side of the HMD where the attach locations were for the horizontal strap. Also you can see Ive inserted a semi-circle cushion just underneath the original face gasket to make the headset cup my face better and further remove any light bleed. I found an old large headphone cushion and cut it in half to get two semi circle cushions for each side. Works quite well and the original gasket holds it in place nicely even though only the bottom of the gasket Velcro is attached at the nose and across the top.

IMG_20190804_085108.jpgIMG_20190804_085303.jpgIMG_20190804_085331.jpgIMG_20190804_085446.jpg

Last edited:
go to the steamwmr settings file and turn on reprojection, you'll need to opt in to the steamvr beta. I use 222% SS resolution (2120x2656 res) and it's smooth as silk @ 90hz with 2080ti with Elite high/ultra preset, even in stations and asteroid fields. Turn off DoF, AO and lower AA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...uide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

Get cheap 22mm vive face pads off ebay for £3 each. They don't fit perfectly but will be comfy as hell and block out all external lights.

edit: spoke too soon. Game chugs in certain stations but not in others. Same around conflict zones with lots of ships. Why is this game so choosy? works fine for days and then for no reason will drop frames really bad.

Last edited:
You'll need to install SteamVR and the free Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR from the steam store to play the standalone ED version. Once all these are installed you can just start ED from the desktop, click start and it should automatically fire up in the headset.
I did a thread ages ago talking about how to install WMR headsets in general but it's dropped down pages. I need to edit and simplify it I think, probably too much unnecessary information in there.

Major stuttering - I was getting unplayable stutter on first use running on a i7 4770s and RTX2080 16GB RAM SSD. I was able to solve this on Windows 1903 by editing Settings > Mixed Reality > Headset Display > Experience Options > 60Hz. Not ideal but this makes ED run smoother than it ever has and Ive yet to notice the missing 30 Hz!
This is the relevant part of the doc wickfut linked above, set it back to 90Hz and follow this:

See how it compares.
Also, that document says that settings beyond 150% SS in SteamVR could cause blurring and that's my experience on the Odyssey+, unlike wickfut I have it set to 150% and most in game settings at Ultra and with a handful of exceptions I don't get any stutter at stations (the exceptions include the pirate/defend scenarios where my fps goes off a cliff and some CZs)
As wickfut says turn off DoF, AO and lower AA (my AA is off, having it on makes things blurrier than I like)

For reference I'm using a Ryzen 1600 OC and a 1080ti, you should easily be able to get stutter free play with your setup.

For me this headset has been seriously uncomfortable. Ive solved this by losening it completely, which of course makes it slide down on your head. Added a horizontal velcro strap just in front of the earphone mountings to take the pressure off your forehead. I havent tried a front to back strap yet but that might be better.
I nearly sold mine on because of this. Did you know you can detach ALL the built in padding (need a flat headed screwdriver to pry the forehead part off, but it's fine, just plastic catches)
I took off all the this padding and added my own from ebay and like you a side to side strap over the head. Without the forehead padding in particular I now have a comfortable and tight fit with no wobbling or lightbleed.

The earphones sound similar to the CV1 when you push them against your ears but in their natural position they lose some of their bass. Its still good enough but need to find a way to get them to push tighter on your ears to get a better sound quality. This may not be an issue if youve got a moon shaped head ;)
I agree with this. In combination with comfort one way to do this is a velcro strip attached to the side of the screens, across the earphone arms and attached to the rear strap. This both pulls the screen in towards your face a little (helps comfort and clarity for me) and pulls the earphones into your ears.

Oh, and just in case, I was on the beta of SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR and updated them today after a month or two of not and my frame time plummeted with stutters galore. In the past they've provided performance improvements ahead of stable release so I've used them.

I installed the non beta versions and frame time, and performance, back to my stutter free experience.

The newest betas of wmr for steam and steamvr changed something with how the SS settings are calculated, turning down the SS in steamvr will return the performance. I have a lenovo and had to reduce the SS from 150% to 120% with no loss of image quality compared to before the updates.
see: Discussion about higher default resolution values
Good info Paul, thank you.

At 100% SS for the Odyssey+ SteamVR with WMR has gone from

1420 x 1780 non beta
to
2064 x 2588 beta

That's a huge leap, about 1.45x, no wonder my frame time plummeted. Taking the opportunity to play around with settings again to see what's the lowest SS that still looks good but gives decent performance.

yeah, but for what reason? Say for eg. elite runs fine with 1800x1800 resolution, it used to be 170% SS in non-beta but now it's 115% SS with beta. What difference does it make, they haven't made the game look better or increased the frame rate at higher resolutions as it still runs best at the 1800x1800 res, all they've done is change the base numbers on the slider for what 100% resolution means... or am I missing something?

Last edited:
The last time I updated (a few months ago) performance seemed to have improved but I didn't look into it, just enjoyed. What I've noticed now is that the default numbers at 100% SS in non beta are different from those when I first set things up late last year. Maybe that's where my performance improvement came from 1-2 months ago, or maybe something else has changed in the software, (change logs say they've been trying to improve things,) either way it's worth (for me) spending time doing some new benchmarking.

Last weekend, I tried to reduce my framerate from 90Hz to 60Hz so I can raise the resolution further in SteamVR, but I immediately had to switch back... The image was flickering like hell, and it was quite painful for my eyes. The effect was similar to looking into an old 60Hz or even 50Hz CRT monitor. My eyes started running and hurting after just half a minute. Plus, the movement of the image doesn't feel smooth anymore when turning my head. Like a fine stutter everywhere. I find 60fps to be fine on the desktop, but with the O+, it's clearly not for me...

Last weekend, I tried to reduce my framerate from 90Hz to 60Hz so I can raise the resolution further in SteamVR, but I immediately had to switch back... The image was flickering like hell, and it was quite painful for my eyes. The effect was similar to looking into an old 60Hz or even 50Hz CRT monitor. My eyes started running and hurting after just half a minute. Plus, the movement of the image doesn't feel smooth anymore when turning my head. Like a fine stutter everywhere. I find 60fps to be fine on the desktop, but with the O+, it's clearly not for me...
It's quite a personal thing. There was a valve VR talk way back where they made the point that 90hz was good enough for most, some would be fine with less and a few would need more, it's a big reason why they, and oculus, settled on 90hz.

you sure it wasn't being reprojected to 30hz ? 60hz changes the FOV and brightness but isn't that much different from 90hz on mine.

I don't think so? I didn't even try ED with it, just the WMR cliff house. You you remember those old CRT TVs and monitors from he 80s and 90s? The crappy 50Hz/60Hz ones? It was exactly like that... I didn't even try to start SteamVR, as the cliff house already made my eyes bleed at 60Hz...

Top Bottom