Sanbox mode - guests

Typo in the title: Sandbox mode*
Hey all! I started a new sandbox mode - creative with adjusted settings to how I like. Only minor changes I enabled are guest hunger, thirst and toilet decay, the rest is pretty much the same.
I noticed that all the guests start to run to one specific place and clog up everything, and security strips, fences etc. (none of them) work or help. I recently made a small exhibit hall, and all the guests went running there as soon as I connected the path, and it is basically overcrowded, while the rest of the zoo is not (I just started yesterday have few places to eat, sit and drink and two habitats).
Did this happen before, and can it be stopped because wow 😅😅 Do not even have vista points there or anything. I did put a vista point on a bridge yesterday to view towards the river, but the bridge got overcrowded and clogged and had to move it 🤣 Also, any idea why I cannot upload images that are taken with nvidia screenshot system?

20211220181709_1.jpg
20211220181719_1.jpg

Last edited:
Typo in the title: Sandbox mode*
Hey all! I started a new sandbox mode - creative with adjusted settings to how I like. Only minor changes I enabled are guest hunger, thirst and toilet decay, the rest is pretty much the same.
I noticed that all the guests start to run to one specific place and clog up everything, and security strips, fences etc. (none of them) work or help. I recently made a small exhibit hall, and all the guests went running there as soon as I connected the path, and it is basically overcrowded, while the rest of the zoo is not (I just started yesterday have few places to eat, sit and drink and two habitats).
Did this happen before, and can it be stopped because wow 😅😅 Do not even have vista points there or anything. I did put a vista point on a bridge yesterday to view towards the river, but the bridge got overcrowded and clogged and had to move it 🤣 Also, any idea why I cannot upload images that are taken with nvidia screenshot system?

View attachment 282068View attachment 282067
Well, I would try a messing around with the vista points more. Maybe try to spread out your exhibits a little. For example, with the exhibits, instead of having them all in a row, make it so that they skip one block so they’re every other block if that makes sense. Other than that, maybe limit the amount of guests in the zoo.

I think in the first picture they’re trying to view the exhibits. If I’m correct, I would make that side of the exhibit, or really any side that you don’t want viewable, a 2D or 3D display, or just close it off within the exhibit management tab, not just with a wall.

The crowding happens to me a lot, as I often start with an exhibit hall like this. As far as I can tell, the guest logic is to treat each box as a destination, so if you've got, for example, 8 exhibits in one place, and then two habitats somewhere else, then 80% of your guests are going to be in that one building. Because 80% of the destinations for their coding to get drawn to are right there -- even if the habitats are much larger and spread out and might draw more focus in real life.

I'm not entirely sure if it's a 1:1 thing for a "destination", or even if it's per species or per individual animal (imagine each individual bug or frog drawing the same number of guests as a lion or elephant!), but things sometimes work out eventually once more habitats and destinations are added. Then again, sometimes they go to exhibit, then a habitat, then back to the exhibit right next door, leaving the exhibit hall crowded perpetually! So I have started making the paths larger, even in the exhibit houses, to compensate for this.

I've also noticed that sometimes guests will flock to the most recent animals added (something that's probably true in real life too). So if you've just opened a bunch of new exhibits all at once, it's possible that they'll chill out a little over time (or as newer animals arrive elsewhere).

For the guests looking in from the outside wall, I'd definitely try Aidan's suggestion of closing that side of the exhibit in the exhibit tab (make sure it's closed, not just adding the 2d or 3d view, to make extra sure). If that doesn't work, I also sometimes will hide one of the opaque "barrier" walls inside a "construction" wall, since the guests can look through construction walls but can't look through opaque barriers (the one-way glass barrier can work particularly well for this, since it's thinner than some of the others and thus easier to hide inside the construction pieces).

For the guests looking in from the outside wall, I'd definitely try Aidan's suggestion of closing that side of the exhibit in the exhibit tab (make sure it's closed, not just adding the 2d or 3d view, to make extra sure).
I can confirm that this works. Had it too for a while until I figured out that that was what you had to do, and afterwards thinking about it it made a lot of sense 😅

Lol, it never gets old, a bunch of guests standing with their noses against a solid wall, staring intently at it and making comments about invisible animals. 😊

Top Bottom