Sauropods should be able to defend themselves from large predators

In the gameplay Chaos Theory seen last week, we saw that a T.rex attacked a Mamenchisaurus and the herbivore tried to escape and did not defend itself. While it's great to see a big theropod hunting a large sauropod, we must remember that the sauropods are true living fortresses. A tail blow or kick from a giant sauropod can easily break bones and depending on the location of the blow, can seriously injure a giant carnivore.

The sauropods may be gentle giants, but they are nothing harmless, they know how to defend themselves, and very well, they are very powerful dinosaurs! For the sake of gameplay and viability the better is that when sauropod defend himself, cause great damage, the giant carnivorous if injured, must flee to regain his health, otherwise if he attacks again and is injured, the giant predator will be killed

Last edited:
Agree this was one of the disappointing aspects from the 1st game. When we got the hybrid sauropod with an anklysaurus tail I thought for sure that at least that sauropod could attack with its tail but we got nothing.

Sauropods must become more dangerous even if they don't end up killing big predators very often, they need to be able to do it at least occasionally.

I absolutely agree.

I also think that they would be interesting if the medium and large carnivores could hunt in packs, especially to hunt sauropods. as you said, for logical reasons, sauropods should be very powerful and resistant.
A single T-Rex could be killed in 2 hits by a brachiosaur, or 3 maximum. also the raptors should get smashed on the first try.
I have found plenty of example images on the internet, sauropods could whip with their tails, or kick devastatingly in the face, or simply stomp a predator to death.

here are some examples that I found on the internet:
256423592_638662100817557_1796346924968914720_n.jpg
257417852_3066946873562271_1626019886970058192_n.jpg
futalognkosaurusstompingweb.jpg
w2-leinkupal-a-20140516.jpg
257235576_1568353990168621_1586212698561719772_n.jpg
38-brontomerus_vs_theropod_1-too-much-blood.jpg
enghshunoweb2.jpg
spowstomp.jpg

I absolutely agree.

I also think that they would be interesting if the medium and large carnivores could hunt in packs, especially to hunt sauropods. as you said, for logical reasons, sauropods should be very powerful and resistant.
A single T-Rex could be killed in 2 hits by a brachiosaur, or 3 maximum. also the raptors should get smashed on the first try.
I have found plenty of example images on the internet, sauropods could whip with their tails, or kick devastatingly in the face, or simply stomp a predator to death.

here are some examples that I found on the internet:
View attachment 275223View attachment 275225View attachment 275226View attachment 275227View attachment 275224View attachment 275228View attachment 275230View attachment 275229
Good pictures! Nice!

I also remembered Big Al's documentary, when predators hunting in the salt desert, a Diplodocus steps on the ground to scare away the allosaurs and strikes Big Al with his neck

Last edited:
That's a bit of an understatement. You know what can break a human femur? The wing-punch of a swan.
Sauropods would likely just completely shatter anything attacking them.
No, pretty sure the swan thing is a complete myth. Birds have hollow bones and they are much more fragile than mammal bones in general.
But a kick from a sauropod definitely could have the potential to break the bones of a theropod.

No, pretty sure the swan thing is a complete myth. Birds have hollow bones and they are much more fragile than mammal bones in general.
But a kick from a sauropod definitely could have the potential to break the bones of a theropod.
I just looked it up and, huh, looks like you're right with that. I stand corrected.

However, it is likewise a myth that bird bones are fragile because they're hollow. They're structured in a way that makes them about as tough as mammalian bones. The forces of a bird in-flight require them having bones not fragile.
What more people have more experience with are cooked bird bones, which are indeed fragile due to the internal structures being broken up by extreme heat.

I xan't readily find a source on the structure of sauropod limb bones, but I remember reading that they are not hollow. Which would add quite a bit of mass and therefore force to their kicks.

A kick or a stomp from a sauropod would be devastating even to a large predator. Tail whips should be an option especially for a diplodocus. They do need to be able to fight back. I've seen some herbivores fight back when their genes are pumped up but that should be unnecessary as at their natural state they would fight back when cornered.

Agree. They bite off tree branches, they should be able to bite a raptor and break its bones. A horse only eats grass but nobody wants to be bit by a horse. How much worse would a sauropod bite be? Stomping, biting, tail whips, neck whips. A sauropod should be able to attack and they should he like tanks. If a raptor can kill one it should literally take like 50 raptors to get it done.

In the gameplay Chaos Theory seen last week, we saw that a T.rex attacked a Mamenchisaurus and the herbivore tried to escape and did not defend itself. While it's great to see a big theropod hunting a large sauropod, we must remember that the sauropods are true living fortresses. A tail blow or kick from a giant sauropod can easily break bones and depending on the location of the blow, can seriously injure a giant carnivore.

The sauropods may be gentle giants, but they are nothing helpless, they know how to defend themselves, and very well, they are very powerful dinosaurs! For the sake of gameplay and viability the better is that when sauropod defend himself, cause great damage, the giant carnivorous if injured, must flee to regain his health, otherwise if he attacks again and is injured, the giant predator will be killed
I am "Tyrannosauruscentric" but you have absolutely right !
"Little foot's " mama must be able to defend herself ! 😊

The sauropods may be gentle giants, but they are nothing harmless, they know how to defend themselves, and very well, they are very powerful dinosaurs! For the sake of gameplay and viability the better is that when sauropod defend himself, cause great damage, the giant carnivorous if injured, must flee to regain his health, otherwise if he attacks again and is injured, the giant predator will be killed

I am with you for the sauropods being able to protect themselves, some of you want to see sauropods fighting. I suppose sauropods pose no threat to humans, but just stay out of their way so that they would not crush any of us accidentally. Even so, shall carnivores be what those types of sauropods dislike apart from the monsters (such as the Indominus Rex and Scorpius Rex) made by Henry Wu?

I just looked it up and, huh, looks like you're right with that. I stand corrected.

However, it is likewise a myth that bird bones are fragile because they're hollow. They're structured in a way that makes them about as tough as mammalian bones. The forces of a bird in-flight require them having bones not fragile.
What more people have more experience with are cooked bird bones, which are indeed fragile due to the internal structures being broken up by extreme heat.

I xan't readily find a source on the structure of sauropod limb bones, but I remember reading that they are not hollow. Which would add quite a bit of mass and therefore force to their kicks.
The biggest birds today are ostrich and so they are the biggest living dinosaurs today ;) !
And while most of the time this birds are harmless they can kill even shakals,hyenas and Lions with kicks of their very powerfull legs which have sharp claws at the end, when they defend their joung and eggs.
An Gallimimus would for shure kill even much bigger opponents with its feet and it has even claws to hold the opponent.
birds don´t try to break bone though.....they always trie instead to hit soft bodyparts with their claws..... so the risk to harm (and most likel kill ) themself in fights are much less.

Sauropodes did for shure kick ( smaler ones) tailwhip ( slender big ones) or just stomp on predadators ( like Elephants do it today) if possible to fight for their live.

Top Bottom