Scarab SRV Handling is BAD in Odyssey

IMPORTANT UPDATE

The handling changes will be reverted for the full launch of Odyssey. See below quotes from Community Managers Bruce and Arthur.

Community Manager Bruce said:
The changes were deliberate. Initially they were made in response to the formations/scatter on planetary surfaces making the SRVs very difficult to control. Since then, the planetary tech has been adjusted and it's possible that the controls don't need to be changed at all. We're hoping to test this during the alpha which is why they still feel different in phase 2 (if you could actually check this by comparing planet surfaces to flat base surfaces, that'd be really useful info!). In any case, the old control scheme will come back for full launch. What we need to determine is whether it should be the only option OR as a "Flight Assist Off" equivalent toggle.

Community Manager Arthur said:
The intention was to revert back to the old handling model [for phase 2 of the Odyssey alpha]. Unfortunately this did not happen, dev did try but something did not work. So hence it is unexpected for us to have it in there. I know Bruce has reached out to a few racers and SRV experts. It is something we are very much listening to feedback on.

I am so incredibly pleased with how the Community Managers have listened to our feedback and so incredibly proud of all the Elite Racers, Buckyball Racers and all the other community members that let their voices be heard. We tackled this one early and we were heard!

Also a huge thanks to the people over at Lave Radio as well as Kai Zen for giving us a podium to speak and helping us raise awareness!

ORIGINAL POST

In the Odyssey alpha we can test out the Scarab SRV in the training scenarios. Unfortunately it looks like Scarab handling as been adjusted to make it more beginner-friendly.
  • The Scarab has incredible traction now - The Scarab traverses the ground like it is on rails
  • The Scarab has much faster acceleration - This might be as a result of more traction but it almost feels like you are controlling a remote controlled car
  • When turning either left or right, the pilot automatically reduced throttle by about 20% during the turn
  • You can make a 90 degree turn on sand at full speed and maintain perfect traction like a toy car
  • There is so much traction on the wheels that when you land sideways, instead of sliding you will stop instantaniously like a very sticky rubber ball thrown at a wall.
  • If you attempt to slide, your Scarab SRV is likely to roll over instead because there is just that much friction to the wheels. It won't slide.
  • If you are in the air and hit rocks, you skip over them in a fast-forward fashion, physics are very strange.
  • When you land sideways with the throttle pinned, instead of sliding you immediately accelerate into the new direction.
  • The handbrake held at a stationary position should hold you in place. It does that in Horizon. In Odyssey there is so much power on the wheels, you punch right through it.
I want to take this opportunity really to say that the Scarab SRV has always been an amazingly designed machine during the time of Horizons. I really hope that FDEV doesn't undo the amazing character the Scarab is. Don't remaster something that isn't broken.

Don't upset the many people that enjoy taking out the Scarab SRV to do things like planetary circumnavigation, long distance rally flyvving, circuit racing and building climbing, just to name a few.

The Scarab can be driven by anyone but is incredibly hard to master, as is proven by the guys that spend almost day and night driving the thing; the Elite Racers and Buckyball racers, just to name two groups.

Video comparison:

A couple of final notes on what makes the Scarab SRV so good in Horizons:
  • She has a realistic amount of traction across the 8 wheels - Hitting a patch wrong, with only a certain number of wheels touching, sends you into a realistic spin
  • Acceleration and stopping power feel natural and realistic
  • Sliding is irritating at first but can be controlled to fine perfection once you master the controls
  • The handbrake has the expected effect when sliding sideways, or applying in a straight line
  • When traveling at speed, pushing the stick to make a 90 degree turn will result in a loss of traction, sending you into a slide that is hard to recover unless you know what you're doing
This post might be premature since we cannot yet use the Scarab SRV in the regular universe but since we have the training scenario available, I feel like I should ring this bell as early as possible, giving FDEV as much time as possible to revert any unnecesary changes to the Scarab SRV.

I invite lovers of the Scarab SRV to add their 2 cents below :)

Last edited:
I haven't yet tested this myself (I'm definitely going to test it as soon as I get off work this evening), but I do have to say that this makes me VERY worried. The Horizons Scarab is an absolute masterpiece of programming, and is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of fun in Elite. I'm praying that it will end up as-is for Odyssey proper.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

🙏

I haven't yet tested this myself (I'm definitely going to test it as soon as I get off work this evening), but I do have to say that this makes me VERY worried. The Horizons Scarab is an absolute masterpiece of programming, and is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of fun in Elite. I'm praying that it will end up as-is for Odyssey proper.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

🙏
Until I've tried it for myself all I'll say at the moment is THIS 👆👆👆

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I've tried the training too in Horizons and in the Odyssey Alpha and there is a massive difference. It really isn't good either.

Like BM said until the SRVs are unlocked in the Alpha I am going to reserve full judgement, but if this change has been made then not only can I not understand why it has been done, but I really hope it is reversed.

So you manually turned it off? Because I think the tutorial starts with it on.
No it starts off (I imagine as that is the default I have it set to as well).

I've tried the training too in Horizons and in the Odyssey Alpha and there is a massive difference. It really isn't good either.

Like BM said until the SRVs are unlocked in the Alpha I am going to reserve full judgement, but if this change has been made then not only can I not understand why it has been done, but I really hope it is reversed.

No it starts off (I imagine as that is the default I have it set to as well.
Huh, I need to double check, because I think my light was on.

It felt different, but, I'm not sure if that's cause it was .1G and not .03G. Or because it was a simulation or what. But definitely different. Not bad different, but Sprite vs 7-Up.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It felt different, but, I'm not sure if that's cause it was .1G and not .03G. Or because it was a simulation or what. But definitely different. Not bad different, but Sprite vs 7-Up.
Load up Horizons and do the same training mission. It's on the same planet, though the terrain is different.

Anything that makes me not puke in VR would be a welcome addition. It's got so bad I even have a pavlovian reaction to the sound of the wake scanner.
This change won't help with the puking.

I'm gonna PM you so not to take this off topic.

Top Bottom