Ships Scout vs Explorer

The Asp Scout and Explorer, The Diamondback Scout and Explorer
What situation would you chose the scout version over the explorer version?
The scout appears to be half a ship. Half the price and half the capabilities.
Are they simply "upgrades"? like the Cobra and Viper. Mark III to Mark IV where you simply pay for more options?
The leather seats and wood grain trim over the stripped down version with fold out chairs and paint pealing dash board.

Some twin ships seems to have a role they fit well in.
Like the Type 6 and Keelback are cut from the same cloth but obvious the Keelback is leaning to aggressive trading over its older sister the Type 6.

The Mark Versions, and Scout/Explorer seem excluded from this concept of optimal role.

The diamondback scout is a lot more agile than the explorer, making it fairly viable as a small combat ship with a decent jump range for those moments when you really really really want to kick someone's backside but they're more than 20 ly away. Great weapon convergence, runs cold as hell making it great for stealth builds.

The asp scout is a meme.

Can't speak to the asp,but i fly a DBS/DBX combo.The DBS has an effective jump of 33ly,the DBX 45ly,and the DBS recently became viable for deeper exploration due to the extra couple of slots making it possible to fit hull repair.It's a tight squeeze,even so,I don;t find an awful lot of difference in actually flying the DBX,both are responsive to the helm in a way that i've grown accustomed to,the price differential is down to the extra room and the increased range.And i often use the scout for acrobatic take offs and landings. The cost of wiping out due to the occasional mishap is relatively minor.The skills,of course are easily transferable,but i probably wouldn't try some of my maneouvres in anything other than a DB.

No advised thus far on the Asp Scout it would seem.
Maybe if i picture the name of the Asp as.. Asp Mark III and Asp Mark IV it would make more sense in the context that there does not appear to be any good situation where the Asp Scout is preferred over the larger cousin the Explorer.
Almost as if FD did a naming scheme change mid way through ship designs. With the Mark numerical change indicating simply an upgraded version. and the Scout/explorer means the same thing but called something different.

The Asp-s is often berated simply for it's lack of speed. But it is much underappreciated and a very capable ship.

It does have some shortcomings in that is only has 2 utilities, pretty hefty price for what it is but man can it dance! And with a class 4 power distro it can power it's 2m + 2s weapons (that also have crazy good grouping) for a long long time....

No advised thus far on the Asp Scout it would seem.
Maybe if i picture the name of the Asp as.. Asp Mark III and Asp Mark IV it would make more sense in the context that there does not appear to be any good situation where the Asp Scout is preferred over the larger cousin the Explorer.
Almost as if FD did a naming scheme change mid way through ship designs. With the Mark numerical change indicating simply an upgraded version. and the Scout/explorer means the same thing but called something different.
Its just a less expensive asp with fewer slots

Its just a less expensive asp with fewer slots
This is what im afraid it would be, i was hoping the Scout version would contribute something the Explorer does not. But just looking over the numbers the Explorer is better in every conceivable way.
Im sure the Scout is a great ship in her own right, but so far it seems the Scout's main benefit as @Madrax573 noted. is its reduced hardpoints fit much cleaner with a 4A Power distributor. Making the Explorer struggle with 2 Medium 4 Small. And its slightly tighter maneuverability profile.

So if i was to upsell the Scout to a CMDR, i would have to rely on saying she is more maneuverable and her power distributor is not underpowered. And she can be yours at the half the price! , buy now and you get a free shamwow cloth, coat of wax and a thirty day supply of bug spray! a $49.99 dollar value absolutely free! Operators are standing by to take your call.

This is what im afraid it would be, i was hoping the Scout version would contribute something the Explorer does not. But just looking over the numbers the Explorer is better in every conceivable way.
Im sure the Scout is a great ship in her own right, but so far it seems the Scout's main benefit as @Madrax573 noted. is its reduced hardpoints fit much cleaner with a 4A Power distributor. Making the Explorer struggle with 2 Medium 4 Small. And its slightly tighter maneuverability profile.

So if i was to upsell the Scout to a CMDR, i would have to rely on saying she is more maneuverable and her power distributor is not underpowered. And she can be yours at the half the price! , buy now and you get a free shamwow cloth, coat of wax and a thirty day supply of bug spray! a $49.99 dollar value absolutely free! Operators are standing by to take your call.
And if you order now, we'll send you a second one free !

The Scouts are more maneuverable in both normal space and in SC than their X counterparts. But the price* is too big

Edit: * And no, i don't mean credits

DB Scout is an awesome light fighter IMO better than Viper 3, highly maneuverable, fast, having a really good jump range and highly effective effective cooling system . While Asp Scout is a garbage of a ship, even fully enginnered this ship is still garbage. I'm pretty sure FD designed this ship to be a cannon fodder. Nevertheless I'm hoping they will rework and buff this ship properly.

DB Scout is an awesome light fighter IMO better than Viper 3, highly maneuverable, fast, having a really good jump range and highly effective effective cooling system . While Asp Scout is a garbage of a ship, even fully enginnered this ship is still garbage. I'm pretty sure FD designed this ship to be a cannon fodder. Nevertheless I'm hoping they will rework and buff this ship properly.
Yep.
I've still got one though (Asp Scout).
I use it for Thargoid Scouts and annoying people.

Iv'e noticed that aswell, the DBS is different enough to be a viable ship in situations the DBX is not. That cooling system make it stand out.
The Asp Scout on the other hand has very few redeeming qualities.
I too would like to see something adjusted to the Asp Scout to make it unique and worth buying.

I have an AspS that I use as a scout to get current commodities prices from the stations in my trade network and gather engineering materials. It's engineered for jump range and speed and carries collector limpets and a frame shift wake scanner. Best view out the cockpit in the game.

DBS is much faster than the DBX, doesnt jump as far but has far mroe combat capability.

Stealth + speed on the DBS, DBX has jumprange and the ability to fit more modules. However jumprange and extra internals aside the DBX is massively inferior to it's little brother.

Top Bottom