Screen door effect

I have a Rift but I just can't get past the screen door effect. I've tried lots of different graphics configurations and have a decent system (1080 etc) but can't seem to find the sweet spot that gives me the resolution I want. Also, I use the system map a lot in game, and I hate the way it works (or rather doesn't) in VR. VR's just been a letdown for me, I'll probably be selling the Rift soon, as I can't see myself using it for playing ED.

Sorry to be a negative Nora and if anyone has suggestions (I've tried Dr Kai's utility to no effect) on how to mitigate the more obvious screen door effects, I'm honestly all ears :(

Nah! No worries man. Us VR-vangelists realise that virtual reality is still in its infancy.

You can't do anything about the screen door effect in software. You might be able to do something about it by applying some sort of diffraction grating onto the screen, but that would be a bit pointless seeing as the Pimax is coming.

You might want to try a Pimax, or wait several more years for even better screens to hit the market.

OP. Rift owner here. You're pretty much stuck with it I'm afraid. Looks like Pimax 5k+ or 8K are the ones to go for better FOV and less SDE.

That said, it's not a big issue for me. Over a 100 hours in VR now and I don't notice it anymore.

Turning up "HMD Image Quality" as far up as FPS permit makes visually the most difference imo. Makes everything sharper.
Regarding Galaxy Map. I used a Controller from the beginning and never had problems with it.

I've always flown M+K in ED but thanks, I have an XBone controller which I might try.

I've always flown M+K in ED but thanks, I have an XBone controller which I might try.

Make sure you have the grid switched on when you're using the map. The galaxy map with the XBone controller is actually rather good. The fact the positions are shown stereoscopically (plus the ability to look around in the viewing space) means it's very easy to see exactly where the stars are.

The system map is... not so good. It takes ages for the cursor to move through that map.

I have a Rift but I just can't get past the screen door effect. I've tried lots of different graphics configurations and have a decent system (1080 etc) but can't seem to find the sweet spot that gives me the resolution I want. Also, I use the system map a lot in game, and I hate the way it works (or rather doesn't) in VR. VR's just been a letdown for me, I'll probably be selling the Rift soon, as I can't see myself using it for playing ED.

Sorry to be a negative Nora and if anyone has suggestions (I've tried Dr Kai's utility to no effect) on how to mitigate the more obvious screen door effects, I'm honestly all ears :(

I remember the first time I tried ED in VR the sd effect was really bad. Then I tweaked the settings, especially aa and supersampling to find a sweet spot.

I would recommend giving it some time. Your brain tends to adjust. If you're new to VR and transition from HD monitors to VR then the sd effect seems more pronounced. Over time, you adjust and it's not as visible in your mind.

I would give it time to see if that's your experience too. Even the galaxy map and other issues take time to adjust and find solutions.

I guess you could try disabling SPUD. Some people say it improves the SDE slightly others say it makes it worse. There does appear to be a not-insignificant disparity in the display characteristics between two different Rifts.

One other thing to consider, the Rift display does seem to improve once it has been active for a while. I've heard of several people who leave it on for 10 mins to "warm-up" before they hit the play button. I wouldn't like to say if this improves the SDE specifically though as I seem to have got lucky I barely notice it in my unit (it definitely helps with black levels though).

It sucks it isn't working for you but VR just doesn't for some people. The 'Screen door' effect is down to more than just resolution I think. When I first started using VR the screen became apparent (the wall of pixels) but I noticed if I moved my head around from left to right and or forwards and backwards I stopped perceiving it as a screen door and just a slightly annoying visual anomaly. That is all you can probably do, try to train your eyes to see the depth not the screen.

Yeah, a bit of AA helps, unfortunately supersampling is quite taxing on the system. Screen door effect or not, for me there is no way back to the 'monitor effect', 2d with all the disturbing RL surroundings instead of sitting in the spaceship. :)

As for navigating the system map, use the left menu and select the destination (station) there - works like a breeze, no issues. :)

I have a Rift but I just can't get past the screen door effect. I've tried lots of different graphics configurations and have a decent system (1080 etc) but can't seem to find the sweet spot that gives me the resolution I want.

the only way is getting used to it. you will if you use it enough, i don't see it anymore. we played on 300x200 resolutions once and had a lot of fun ... if you can't then you probably will need to wait for one of the next gen headsets, or the even the next after that.

Also, I use the system map a lot in game, and I hate the way it works (or rather doesn't) in VR.

the system map is just a case of gorgeous looking but utterly user unfriendly piece of ui, this is not a vr problem. it's only really usable with a mouse (which you can do in vr, btw!). it could gain a lot if frontier simply enabled the ui direction keys to jump from one body to another.

What is the screen door effect? I just got a Vive a few days ago. Man, I’m loving it. It’s not perfect but just being in the cockpit is awesome!

What is the screen door effect? I just got a Vive a few days ago. Man, I’m loving it. It’s not perfect but just being in the cockpit is awesome!

Screendoor effect is when you can discern individual pixels, like from a projector. It makes the picture look like being viewed through a grid. I am not bothered by it at all tbh, I treat it as a "flavour" of VR. Some people, like OP, hate it. Watch this for some through the lens photos: [video=youtube;6thHO5tR6VI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6thHO5tR6VI[/video]

A lot of people don't notice the screen door effect. It's like a scratch on an car that you don't notice until someone points it out to you. I'll wrap spoilers around it if you want to remain blissfully unaware.

look up into a dark part of the Elite world. Don't look out at the scenery, concentrate instead on a kind of filmy gauze that's in front of you. It's like you are viewing the world through a screen door.

What you are seeing is the dark space between the OLED pixels. Because it's a physical space between the pixels there's nothing you can do about. Turning up the gamma, and/or switching to a green HUD which fires off more pixels can reduce the effect.

Another way of dealing with it is to just forget about it, and enjoy the game in full reality-o-vision

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I noticed it, but doesn’t bother me at all. I just love being in the ships, SLFs and even the SRV. I actually got out of the SRV and walked around yesterday. Now that was awesome!

Last edited:
Turning up "HMD Image Quality" as far up as FPS permit makes visually the most difference imo. Makes everything sharper.
Regarding Galaxy Map. I used a Controller from the beginning and never had problems with it.

I agree - I leave ss at 1 and up HMD Image Quality to 1.25 or 1.5 depending on the PC and it makes a huge difference imo.

Be sure to set the controls to Default Context, and when you hold A,B,X, or Y down you'll get a nice popup menu!

I also set "both bumpers" used at the same time to set my thrust to 75%, among other tweaks.

And if you customize your controls don't forget to duplicate them so they don't get reset!

the only way is getting used to it. you will if you use it enough, i don't see it anymore. we played on 300x200 resolutions once and had a lot of fun ...

I was thinking the same thing :)

SDE isn't noticeable much in ED because it's often too dark.
you can usually spot it easily against brighter BG such as sky.
some other games I have the moment I look at the sky I see SDE right away and my HMD has way better resolution than Rift too...

Top Bottom