Seamless planetary landings

Which should come first, planetary landings or walking around on ships and stations?

• Walking around on ships and stations

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • Planetary landings

Votes: 92 56.4%

• Total voters
Hello everyone.
Well what a ride it's been for several of us in the last few days. Glad to report everything is all good again.....anyway.......a question so many people have is

Will ED have seamless planetary landings ?

eg much like FE2/FFE so you can fly and land on a planet or maybe an underground base or even an underwater base etc.

Not looking for ANY specific details (underwater/mountain etc) only looking to know if seamless planetary landings will be in ELITE Dangerous.

It sounds like a logical progression but it would really bolster the troops is we can have an answer which we all hope is a "yes" and it needs no more detail than that ....unless Frontier know more and want to tell us...... :)

Thankyou David/Michael and the Frontier team in advance. :)

I'm getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, but imagine an ocean world where only certain ships were capable of landing on, a bit like a sea plane. :)

I'm getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, but imagine an ocean world where only certain ships were capable of landing on, a bit like a sea plane. :)

Ah a fellow Wellingtonian - Welcome to the forums! There are certainly a whole bunch of possibilities when it comes to different types of planets and surfaces. Sea landings and going underwater have always been a thing that I'd like to see done, although crashing into a whale or a large fish wouldn't do your ship too much good :D

Cheers Steve! What made you leave this awesome city? The weather? It was the weather wasn't it?

Haha, I hadn't thought of the possibility of sea life if we get to dive under the ocean. I wonder if sharks have bounties on their heads...

Cheers Steve! What made you leave this awesome city? The weather? It was the weather wasn't it?

Haha, I hadn't thought of the possibility of sea life if we get to dive under the ocean. I wonder if sharks have bounties on their heads...
Just don't try to shoot them with your lasers while underwater...

Among other things mate, you know what they say "Can't beat Wellington on a good day" unfortunately there's only about three of them a year. London seemed like a good option at the time and the travel is better there (France or Spain is far more exotic than Aussie and the gold coast :D ). Ironically the weather is about as bad, just minus the wind... I really don't miss the wind.

I see in your profile that you're working in film? You working for Weta?

Susimetsa said:
Just don't try to shoot them with your lasers while underwater...

Now now, we all know that sharks have frickin' lasers on their heads, it's fair game.

I would be utterly amazed if you couldn't land on planets with a solid surface, as this is in effect what the next generation of procedural generation will be used to generate I would imagine, the planet surfaces in more detail.

Yep, I think this issue will be the least of our worries. TBH I have only one concern; that the project gets funded :(

If it's not in, then it'll be regression from Frontier, not progression. I really can't see it not being in. ;) I showed my teenage nephew the gameplay video and told him that the planet in the background wasn't just 'painted on': you could actually go there. He seemed to find it cool in that aloof way teenagers do these days. ;)

He was also wondering if you could point your ship at any given star and fly there, but I think that's taking it a bit too far, eh? ;)

This is the one question which has been asked since the start of the campaign and the one question they seem very coy about answering.

Now we have seen some vid of clouds but theirs been no concept art of starports or city's so far.

So are we looking at a reboot of Elite or Frontiers, the general opinion here and on the kickstarter is that it will be a reboot of Frontier, but could it be more like Elite.
That comment about it being a " basic game " come to mind from the original pitch on Kickstarter.

I would be utterly amazed if you couldn't land on planets with a solid surface, as this is in effect what the next generation of procedural generation will be used to generate I would imagine, the planet surfaces in more detail.

You'd be utterly amazed, but that doesn't mean anything in real terms.

If Frontier Developments came out and said that seamless planetary landings are not planned for the first release of the Elite Dangerous, would it affect how you feel about the project? Would it influence your pledge level? Would you support it just as much with or without seamless planetary landings?

So are we looking at a reboot of Elite or Frontiers, the general opinion here and on the kickstarter is that it will be a reboot of Frontier, but could it be more like Elite.
Everything we've seen so far points more at a reboot of the original Elite.

I fully expect that Elite Dangerous will have planetary landings. If they come out and say "Nope, no landings" ya know what I'll do .... nothing. I'll leave my pledge at the level it currently is at.

It's neat. It's nice. But not a killer game element. The original Elite didn't do it and didn't really lack for it either.

There is more to Elite than one reasonably minor element.

I fully expect that Elite Dangerous will have planetary landings. If they come out and say "Nope, no landings" ya know what I'll do .... nothing. I'll leave my pledge at the level it currently is at.

I'm at a level I can afford, and if they come out against landings - I will do the same - remain unchanged. HOWEVER, if they show me something cool with regards to this - I'd be tempted to try my very best to afford a bit more.

FE2 overall didn't exploit landings enough - it was pretty cool for a while, but once you realised you could basically do everything in a station that you could on the ground, and it was quicker to go dock at a station - then landings were just something you did for fun and occasional eye candy.

I do think they should be there - but my burning question is what can you do to make them a much more relevant thing? What can you do to make visiting the actual planet surfaces that much more worthwhile?

I think Michael from Frontier will come in here and just say

"Yes in response to the OP" :)

or it could be a big surprise in one of the vids :)

my burning question is what can you do to make them a much more relevant thing? What can you do to make visiting the actual planet surfaces that much more worthwhile?

Most starbases should be able to offer a wider range of services than a station (by and large), simply because they have greater access to resources, people and not least, would not be as confined to a limited station dimensions.

I would imagine that most systems out of the inner regions of the populated galaxy would have few stations between them given they are most likely to be unable to support, let alone fund a station build. On this basis these planets would have a starbase and from here players can interact with the locals, buying local supplies, unique objects or selling to them etc.

For even further flung systems with no human presence, planetary landings would be needed all the time. What you could do there is a question for the Devs ;)

Last edited:
For starters having atmospheres means that you can fuel scoop from stars and gas giants. There could certainly be discovery missions. Deliveries and taxi runs to settlements. Diplomatic runs to cities etc.

I think not having it will make the place feel emptier somehow. For me at least it's been that idea of relative scale, taking off, getting to leave the atmosphere, space station then inter planetary and finally inter stellar. I'd want it if only to provide a level of realism. I want to 'visit' a distant planet or moon rather than fly by it.

Top Bottom