Searching for the Dark Wheel station

o7 Commanders.

From the Dark Wheel's Codex entry:
[...] the group was founded in and operated out of a disused starport orbiting the eighth moon of an unnamed gas giant. The station was a toroid design that was kept on minimal power to avoid detection, hence the name "Dark Wheel".

If this information is correct our search for the Dark Wheel just got a whole lot easier.

I did some analysis of the systems that are located within a 200 ly cube centered on Sol, and the systems that have a gas giant with at least 8 moons only account for about 5% of the total 14,775 systems I checked. I plan on releasing a spreadsheet of those systems as well as some additional information such as if the system has a population and/or some local factions, and the distance the gas giants are from the main star.

My theory is that if the Dark Wheel station is located in any of those systems it will most likely be a system without other stations or factions, and the distance to the gas giant is going to be over 100,000 ls. My guess is that the station won't appear in your nav panel like regular stations, but something interesting might pop up when we get within 1,000 ls of the planet.

Ideally I would have prefered to search a bigger radius around Sol than 200 ly but that's the maximum distance the EDSM API will allow.
I'd be much happier had I been able to get all systems within 500 ly of Sol, but considering the age of the Dark Wheel, I don't really expect their station to be super far away from Sol, or the original Elite's "new worlds" (Lave, Leesti, etc).

Expect that spreadsheet to become available in the next day or two.

o7

Last edited:
Please check this thread: Forums Elite Dangerous Features of Elite Lore The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel - Which system is it?

The problem with all these reports from EDSM data dump is that it contains only part of all systems even under 500ly from Sol. I personally checked a few hundred of candidate systems found in EDSM in radius 1000ly from Sol. I found nothing but it was surprise for me that I found several dozens of new candidates (not known on EDSM until I scanned them) just by "random" flying. Double surprise for me was that these systems was without players tags in game too. Space is too big for random search even in that 500ly radius.

P.S. It is shame we can't filter in game systems without any tag. But maybe some analysis/visualization of data from EDSM can help us see fog of war areas. The Orion spur is full of stars so 1000ly from Sol radius must be consistent and predictable. So I think such analysis is doable. We can then organize some survey to check in game galaxy map, visit such areas with our ships and add new systems to EDSM.

Now that is interesting, can u quote the source u got that info from?

It is duable to search near the bubble for such a specific formation and go check it out, i will say im in on that if im satisfied with the data u gathered.
Especially since my next "big" thing that i am aiming for is to go discover and map the star systems in and around the bubble that have yet to be so.

I've finished crunching through the data for all 14,775 systems I got from EDSM and now have a list of 801 systems that contain gas giants with 8 or more moons, for a grand total of 906 moons that need to be checked.

The gas giant that's furthest away from the main star clocks in at a whopping 1,051,316 ls distance. The median distance for the 757 total gas giants on the list is only 1,989 ls, so the vast majority of those planets are reasonably close to the main star. Only 72 planets on the list are over 10,000 ls from the main star & 8 systems require a permit.

Elite Dangerous: The search for the Dark Wheel

I'm also including the JSON files for all those systems in case anyone wants to compile their own statistics or add some more information (like star type) but don't want to deal with the EDSM API rate limit policy.

dark_wheel_json.zip

Last edited:
One thing I've been wondering: When this bit of lore mentions "the eighth moon of an unnamed gas giant", is it only considering moons that have been modeled in Elite, or does it also consider real life?

I ask this because there is a very interesting candidate for this mysterious moon IF we consider reality: Triton. Triton is Neptune's eighth moon (although the only one modeled in Elite), and it is currently permit-locked for unknown reasons.

I've finished crunching through the data for all 8,260 systems I got from EDSM and now have a list of 430 systems that contain gas giants with 8 or more moons, for a grand total of 475 gas giants.

The gas giant that's furthest away from the main star clocks in at a whopping 1,051,316 ls distance. The median distance for the 475 total gas giants on the list is only 2,051 ls, so the vast majority of those planets are reasonably close to the main star. Only 40 planets on the list are over 10,000 ls from the main star & 4 systems require a permit.

Elite Dangerous: The search for the Dark Wheel
Would it make sense to search the systems with a population of 0 first? Or am I crazy?

That's not crazy at all. My initial theory was that the station would probably be found in a zero population system, very, very far away from the main star. However there are actually very few systems (10 in total) that close to Sol that have a gas giant with eight or more moons and no population. I'm expanding the search right now but I don't really expect to see more that 25 such systems after the update.

Last edited:
The problem with all these reports from EDSM data dump is that it contains only part of all systems even under 500ly from Sol. I personally checked a few hundred of candidate systems found in EDSM in radius 1000ly from Sol. I found nothing but it was surprise for me that I found several dozens of new candidates (not known on EDSM until I scanned them) just by "random" flying. Double surprise for me was that these systems was without players tags in game too. Space is too big for random search even in that 500ly radius.

I agree. The total list of all systems within 500 ly around Sol is probably not in EDSM, but I'd wager a guess that it's somewhat close when you narrow that scope down to the 100-250 ly range. I still feel like this is the most sensible way forward, by asking the right kind of questions to that giant dataset that's out there and available.

The few hundred candidate systems you checked, did they all contain gas giants with eight or more moons? How did you compile that list?

Last edited:
Yes at final I had list of about 300 systems with red dwarf and gas giant with at least 8 moons. I got this list from another player who had complete data dump from EDSM and generated such reports from that replica. I will not name this player but when you ask in that The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel I think somebody will help you too. The problem is that I found nothing but maybe I just didn't know what to search too :)

Yes at final I had list of about 300 systems with red dwarf and gas giant with at least 8 moons. I got this list from another player who had complete data dump from EDSM and generated such reports from that replica. I will not name this player but when you ask in that The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel I think somebody will help you too. The problem is that I found nothing but maybe I just didn't know what to search too :)

I'm not filtering based on the star type, so I'm guessing my final list will be somewhere between 700-800 systems (out of the ~15,000 systems I started with), so technically a wider net, just on the off-chance that the photo of the station in the Codex is just a cool looking image and not of the actual system the station is in. I actually have my doubts that we'll ever find a system where a gas giant, with 8+ moons will be as close to any star as the photo from the Codex depicts but I'd be happy to be wrong on that one.

I'm even starting to have doubts about whether the station will actually be orbiting the eight moon of a gas giant. The source of that particular quote is not exactly the most reliable person ever.
Self-professed "people's journalist" and Dark Wheel expert Lyta Crane [...] However, Crane has her share of critics who have accused her of forging evidence for personal profit

And finally, if the station actually turns out to be orbiting the eight moon of a gas giant but is in some sort of a low power mode where it might not appear on the nav panel, no matter how close you get. That bit probably irks me the most, that the station could be located in one of the 700-800 systems on my list and that I would jump into the correct system, fly towards the correct gas giant, and then the correct moon but would still not find anything.

I think @haxmurderer raised an excellent point in his "Summary Thus Far" post: What are the Mechanism for Hiding The Dark Wheel station. I'm a firm believer that the Dark Wheel station will be located reasonably close to Sol based off the age of the organization and if it is that close there must be some mechanics in place to hide the station or it would almost certainly have been found by now. Especially after the first mapped "gold-rush" after the 3.3 update went live.

Last edited:
might have been written about before, i dont know. has anyone noticed that the dark wheel logo looks a bit like the Barbury castle crop circle.
i mean the lines in the background. i cant make much from it as my eyes are bad and im not that technically minded.

Attachments

• castle.jpg
    castle.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 443
  • wheel logo.jpg
    wheel logo.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 424
14775 systems sounds like you missed some.
The Great Raxxla Potato Hunt made a list of all systems in a sphere with a radius of about 210 lys and EDSM knows 68200 systems in that sphere.
That would be 361% more systems in 78.9% more volume.

Last edited:
might have been written about before, i dont know. has anyone noticed that the dark wheel logo looks a bit like the Barbury castle crop circle.
i mean the lines in the background. i cant make much from it as my eyes are bad and im not that technically minded.
You'll notice in those compared images that it also has the 3 circles on the upper side of the image also. Very curious...

Wow now this is interesting stuff Im strangly looking for a station to buy a DBX (the one I chose from innara doesnt have lol) I will persevere and follow this thread with interest and a view to be involved (if I can understand it) graet stuff guys

Top Bottom