Newcomer / Intro Secretive + Criminal Vip Passenger Missions

Hi,

First of all, this is not about landing and starting from stations. Got no problem with that. But its the only situation Google search helped.

So I started to try passenger missions to Sirius Atmospheric. About half the missions I get with relogging to fill my 8 cabins are secretive + criminal VIPs. In the target system I get messages that they are followed by bounty hunters and I should shoot them down for extra money.
Fine, I could do that. Problem is, first thing the bounty hunters do is scan me and then the secretive VIPs jump to their escape pods and leave. Mission failed.
I could evade the interdiction, but sometimes the bounty hunters pob out at the Sirius Atmospheric POI and scan me there.

Does anybody have advice how to avoid this paradox situation.

Would be gratefull for any advice.

Cheers,
Cmdr StBonifaz

Don't ever accept the side goals. Just quickly out, quickly in.

You can refuse four of their requests before they bail on you.
And if you ever have to deal with bounty-hunters or whatever comes after your passengers, have one small turret on your ship. If you hit them, they're gonna stop scanning you and start shooting instead, so you can leave in relative peace. :)

edit: and yes, as the ninja above me said, if you have a mission that contains too many stops (and therefore too many things can go wrong), don't accept other missions, especially with secretive passengers. You'll save yourself from the world of grief.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the fast replies.
Must admit to optimize Rank increasement I also took a lot of data missions to the station orbiting the sirius atmospheric planet, and made a stop there. If I don't do that, problems are less.

To the turret sugestion ... The problem there is, that the Bounty Hunters are clean (at least until they shoot me I think) which would make me wanted in the target system. But maybe just one shot would not hurt too much. Thanks for the suggestions!

To the turret sugestion ... The problem there is, that the Bounty Hunters are clean (at least until they shoot me I think) which would make me wanted in the target system. But maybe just one shot would not hurt too much. Thanks for the suggestions!

I wouldn't shoot a clean ship first unless you're willing to accept being wanted.

Just don't take the side objectives, they're not worth the trouble. If someone starts scanning, pop silent running to break their target lock on you and jump away as soon as you can.

Ok, thanks for the fast replies.
Must admit to optimize Rank increasement I also took a lot of data missions to the station orbiting the sirius atmospheric planet, and made a stop there. If I don't do that, problems are less.

More on that shooting tactic. Yes you will get wanted. The idea is that this thing happens in some middle-of-nowhere system you're just passing through. There are ways how to NOT get wanted, but you'd need to be craftier (turrets don't work) The thing with assault charges is that it needs to be a stray shot. If you "accidentally" shoot a ship, nothing happens (unless you accidentally shoot them with C4 Plasma Accelerator :D). But "accidentally" means cannot have the ship targeted when you shoot it. If you have it targeted, it's bounty straight away.
On the other hand, if you don't kill them and just run away, it's just 400Cr for 8 minutes, so it's not a big deal. :)

You have to avoid scans at the stations both ends and from any interdictors. You need speed and cunning for that. Some people say that heatsinks break the scan, but I never tried that. I just use speed. I guess you need a ship that can reach more than 450m/s if you want to use just speed.

You painted yourself into a corner there. You can't take on the bounty hunter; so if and when he comes on the coms, Hi-wake and come back in 5 minutes and he should be gone, long enough to move on, or deliver the passenger.

This game needs a little forward planing; don't feel bad in anyway, because basically. This game is really out to get you; one way or another.

Yeah it does seem like crap programming to offer a reward for killing the attackers when to do so means you get scanned. As above you just have to ignore that money and avoid the attackers to complete these.

I don't know if it's still the same, but I guess so. Shooting at any ship that scans you breaks the scan, so rather than running, you can just open fire on the ship that interdicts you, but only do that if your ship is suitably equipped to deal with him. I guess that OP waited for the scan to complete and for the NPC to start shooting him before he opened fire.

Last edited:
Yeah it does seem like crap programming to offer a reward for killing the attackers when to do so means you get scanned. As above you just have to ignore that money and avoid the attackers to complete these.
Not really. The player took two different types of missions and one has endangered the the outcome of the other.

Nope, this happens with a single mission type. You get a passenger that does not want to be scanned, then they are pursued by bad guys and they offer you cash to take them out. If you try to take out said bad guys then the first ting they do is scan you and upset the passenger who is offering you money to kill them!

Nope, this happens with a single mission type. You get a passenger that does not want to be scanned, then they are pursued by bad guys and they offer you cash to take them out. If you try to take out said bad guys then the first ting they do is scan you and upset the passenger who is offering you money to kill them!

When you get the mission update telling you that guys are coming for you and you'll get extra money to kill them, you must decide whether you want to fight them or avoid them. The rewards rarely justify fighting them, though you can do it for fun if you know that you and your ship can handle them. If you decide to fight, you deploy weapons and shoot them as soon as they drop out so they won't have a chance to scan you. People only get problems when they don't know what to expect after the interdiction They wait around to see what's going to happen. That will get you killed or scanned or both. That's the difference with people that know how the game works and those that don't. When you know the answers, everything is easy, but if you don't, everything is a surprise - dangerous surprises!

Last edited:
My reaction to interdiction is to turn round and complete a KWS scan before getting into a dog fight, this is clearly a mistake for this mission type from what you are saying the key is to shoot to stop the scan. Like a lot of Elite, simple when you know how...

My reaction to interdiction is to turn round and complete a KWS scan before getting into a dog fight, this is clearly a mistake for this mission type from what you are saying the key is to shoot to stop the scan. Like a lot of Elite, simple when you know how...

Put your KWS on automatic so that it scans while you shoot. There's no point in waiting, but don't forget to check that he's wanted before you open fire.

its not automatic, but if you are aplayer that holds down your fire weapon button, then binding your KWS to that button makes the scan sort of automatic.

Not really. The player took two different types of missions and one has endangered the the outcome of the other.
No, no Arry, it HAS to be the games fault. Poor decision making by a greedy player stacking incompatible missions just won't fly in this day and age.

Going into Silent Running also interrupts the scan. It's a less violent response.

Put your KWS on automatic so that it scans while you shoot. There's no point in waiting, but don't forget to check that he's wanted before you open fire.
If he pulls you from super cruise, then he is automatically hostile and so pressing the hostile button, makes the scan complete etc and you can just fire at will.

If he pulls you from super cruise, then he is automatically hostile and so pressing the hostile button, makes the scan complete etc and you can just fire at will.

Not sure that's quite right.

I have been pulled from cruise many times and the interdictor hasn't shown as hostile until after they have fired at me, I seem to remember that an interdiction only gets you a minor fine, like dangerous flying does, not wanted status.

Top Bottom