Security measures with dangerous animals ?

Hello,

In the video of e3 in-game trailer, at 0.38, an agent walks with hippopotamus to clean the ground and the hippopotamus are one of the most dangerous animals. So there is no security measures with dangerous animals like the employees don't enter in a place when the animals are there ?

I don't think there will be, in the demo they've shown today you can clearly see how the employee walks with a bucket of meat into the African wild dog enclose, it isn't that realistic on thst point, but ok as I believe it would be extemely difficult to pit that in a game.

Well, even frontier has to draw a line as to how realistic a game should be. Yes, would have been nice if the zoo keepers would not just walk in. But it would have also mean a higher effort in programming - and boy did they already puit effort in this! We have to be fair.

What bugs me more to be honest are the open jeeps in the gepard enclosure ;) I probably will never lead my jeeps to an carnivore enclosure or a hippo enclosure or whatever, just for my own need for realism.

There doesn't seem to be any attention paid to protective measures at any level. In the demo video we see elephants in an enclosure with a flimsy chainlink-like fence. That fence would last exactly as long as it took the elephant decide it wanted to get to the other side. In an actual zoo you will see large elevation changes or heavy steel posts and cables to confine elephants. I hope in the actual game we need to pay attention to the fencing used to contain an animal, both from a strength and climbing factor. I want to see some nice heavy duty fencing like the material they used for the jeep gate - it looks kind of silly set in that flimsy mesh fence.

Attachments

• elephant.jpg
    elephant.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 220
It would be nice to have seen stronger fences in some enclosures for sure, and closed jeeps (they might have, they just didn’t show it) for sure once the game is released, they should place a showcase forum, so people can show off their zoos. Obviously people will probably be more intrigued if you make your zoo “realistic”
meaning among other things, realistic fencing for certain animal species. You wouldn’t (realistically) use the same type of fencing for a ring tail lemur or deer as you would for a bengal or Amur Tiger.

Well, even frontier has to draw a line as to how realistic a game should be. Yes, would have been nice if the zoo keepers would not just walk in. But it would have also mean a higher effort in programming - and boy did they already puit effort in this! We have to be fair.

What bugs me more to be honest are the open jeeps in the gepard enclosure ;) I probably will never lead my jeeps to an carnivore enclosure or a hippo enclosure or whatever, just for my own need for realism.

To be fair, the jeeps in the Maasai Mara park full of wild elephants, cheetahs and others, are also fully open. See here
If the cheetahs there can learn that "big grumbly truck" isn't food, then zoo animals definitely can learn this too.

I don't think there will be, in the demo they've shown today you can clearly see how the employee walks with a bucket of meat into the African wild dog enclose, it isn't that realistic on thst point, but ok as I believe it would be extemely difficult to pit that in a game.

African wild dogs are just the right size that they are neither scared of humans, nor see humans as prey. In the wild, you can follow them on foot.

Source: Maasai Mara park.

African wild dogs are just the right size that they are neither scared of humans, nor see humans as prey. In the wild, you can follow them on foot.

Source: Maasai Mara park.
I've just checked you information and you seem to be right, but at the same time I found an other source, they may not kill a human but in captivity they won't become tame and are mostly aggressive toward humans, they may even bite. AFAIK no zoo practice the method you've mentioned at all, but that's just what I know.

These are very good points. I have to add that terrain has been confirmed to block in animals as well. So we can use things like water and hills to act as fencing for some of these bigger guys. But I do very much agree that we need some stronger fencing options to be available.

I've just checked you information and you seem to be right, but at the same time I found an other source, they may not kill a human but in captivity they won't become tame and are mostly aggressive toward humans, they may even bite. AFAIK no zoo practice the method you've mentioned at all, but that's just what I know.

Oh, no doubt you are right. I'm sure you did your homework. However, i would say:
  • Totally feral + humans -> may bite if provoked
  • Perfectly wild like in the Maasai Mara, where they kill their own prey, do not get fed, hunt, kill, breed, die, are born -> you can walk next to them
  • Zoo where dogs are fed daily by a zookeeper, literally the hand that feeds them -> (?)
What would you think '(?)' is?
A: (?) = zookeeper entering habitat to feed wild dogs is dangerous. or
B: (?) = literally fine. It's fine in the wild, they're absolutely even more tame in the zoo where they have this food relationship with the human on a daily basis, literally nothing is dangerous, the game shouldn't take this into account at all.

I think it's reasonable to say B.
Wild dogs? Literally tame as dogs, just as dangerous. Zoo dogs, even tamer. No security measures warranted.

But hippos? Tigers? That's a more interesting question.

maybe they can add a possibility of the keeper getting injured?
and have a medic station in their huts?
i dont think should effect game play by much, maybe will take them longer to feed the animals while the injury heals?
just a suggestion to add more realism and give huts an extra purpose :)

they could also make it so, that there is a higher chance for new additions added to the zoo (not threw breeding) to injure zoo keepers, as they are not yet used to the keepers presence?
and the longer that the animals are there, the less likely they are to hurt them.

as working in zoo;s with animals, or any animals for that matter, there is ALWAYS the possibly to get injured :)

Top Bottom