Seems Very Quiet Around Here

You are implying that these people think the game is bad overall, hence they are 'waiting for it to become good'. The term good is relative, what you or me might consider good, others would consider it woeful and inadequate. And some get so use to waiting for their version of perfection that it becomes some mythical ceiling that will never be reached. Simply even if FD do what they want, they are that us to complaining that they will find fault even if there is no fault at all just so they can continue complaining because that is all they know.

You're inventing a boogie man there. Frontier have built euro truck simulator with addons and an astronomy and cuthulu aliens mods. They're selling the game like they built some unholy merger between halflife 2 and tie fighter.. completely different.

There are even people who support the game not being completely whole with the real truth of what the game literally is so...

I guess people sniping at people on forums is the only thing possible because frontier wont correct their marketing of course.

You're inventing a boogie man there. Frontier have built euro truck simulator with addons and an astronomy and cuthulu aliens mods. They're selling the game like they built some unholy merger between halflife 2 and tie fighter.. completely different.

There are even people who support the game not being completely whole with the real truth of what the game literally is so...

I guess people sniping at people on forums is the only thing possible because frontier wont correct their marketing of course.

Humbly disagree. I knew exactly what I was getting when I purchased ED, watched some videos, read some reviews, even stuck my nose in the forums (didn't formally join though until after I purchased the game) to see what people thought about the game. But the main thing I did was talk to some guys at work who already had the game and got some very unbias responses, some good, and a few bad. Spoke more to those who didn't like the game and found out why they didn't like it (for one or two, simply it wasn't FPS Eve which is all they wanted).

Just because you have a sour taste in your mouth about the game doesn't mean everyone has the same taste. There are aspects of the game I don't like, so like a mature person, I don't play those aspects. On the other hand, there are some aspects I personally enjoy and they, believe it or not, are the ones I participate in.

You are implying that these people think the game is bad overall, hence they are 'waiting for it to become good'. The term good is relative, what you or me might consider good, others would consider it woeful and inadequate. And some get so use to waiting for their version of perfection that it becomes some mythical ceiling that will never be reached. Simply even if FD do what they want, they are that us to complaining that they will find fault even if there is no fault at all just so they can continue complaining because that is all they know.

So you entirely agree with what I said then.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Well, when sales increase but player number are stable - that seems like a logical course of events.
I don’t think that necessarily follows. Unless you expect that to be the same course of events and behaviour (but in a correspondingly much larger number) for mainstream games like GTAV, PUBG, Rocket League or Ark for example, just so to name a few similarly stable games with regards to their own average concurrent population, and that are still selling reasonably well.

Usually players who tire or burn out of a game simply move on. Some come back later, or not, new players join etc.

There is no difference in essence there, each game in its own scale. Unless the real and unspoken complaint is rather that Elite has not become mainstream itself. In which case yes, the current “course of event” as you call it, would be more understandable. Unrealistic, but understandable.

Last edited:
I played the original Elite on an Acorn Electron! I had a good look at this latest incarnation for a while before I bought it (I don't have the time or patience to play bad games) and it looked good. Been playing ED for almost a year now and I am the opposite of disappointed.
My disappointment is with the bugs rather than the core game. The latest bug to really get on my nerves is this Max Headroom "FOV-pop" that the September update introduced. It's incredibly frustrating to go from buttery smooth 60 (or even 72) fps to this weird and very jarring stutter / popping effect. Thankfully my new gaming PC plays more than just ED, so the money I spent to escape all of ED's flaws on PS4 hasn't been wasted. Ironic that it's an update to ED that "introduced" me to other space games on PC, all thanks to ED's buggy, glitchy code.

Did somebody say it was quiet?

Too quiet perhaps?

Boom!

I'll always be outnumbered by the games angry ex-boyfriends.

I call my next painting "Stigbob browsing the Forums":

3jmsO89.jpg

😜

Probably because nothing's happened this year (And not going to happen) for Elite.

Hell, there's been more content in Destiny 2 this year than Elite AND Warframe combined... And that's SAYING something.

Did somebody say it was quiet?

Too quiet perhaps?

Boom!

That is, hands down, the most lackluster "boom" I have ever witnessed...

Number of average monthly concurrent players in steam has actually increased slightly year on year since launch in 2015, including peaks and valleys. The actual spot record was achieved this past December or Jan if memory serves (which will be probably hard to beat at least until new era I suspect). We can probably assume something similar is happening in Xbox, PS and the FDEV launcher versions.

The really remarkable thing is that after 5 years (and according to some allegedly without any new significant content) a niche game like Elite, with so many barriers to entry (controlers, lack of solo campaign, in game help or in depth tutorials etc), has been able to maintain, or even slightly increase, that average concurrent population.

I would say a lack of a game, yeah, its remarkable.

My disappointment is with the bugs rather than the core game. The latest bug to really get on my nerves is this Max Headroom "FOV-pop" that the September update introduced. It's incredibly frustrating to go from buttery smooth 60 (or even 72) fps to this weird and very jarring stutter / popping effect. Thankfully my new gaming PC plays more than just ED, so the money I spent to escape all of ED's flaws on PS4 hasn't been wasted. Ironic that it's an update to ED that "introduced" me to other space games on PC, all thanks to ED's buggy, glitchy code.
I dont have this problem and never heard of it happening to anyone else, maybe a hardware issue ?

Top Bottom