Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Questions for the fans here.
2. How are the PC controls
4. Is it a linear experience/are there RPG elements

-Much better than in Dark Souls (especially compared to the first one). You can even re bind the keys, altho as usual the tool tips are all with controller symbol because... reasons ;)
Personally I played all Souls games with M+K only as its easier for me to adapt to lazy MK support than learn completely new control device - as I never used anything apart PC mouse and keys.
-You play as specific character, much like in the Witcher, so no character creation like in DS games here.
I would say it doesn't have much RPG elements to it. You pretty much limited to what fighting style you want to choose, also one sword with different move sets you can train - I`m still at the very beginning so it might change later.
-It does not feel very "open world" so far but areas are pretty big and allows you to try different tactics. The devs made sure that game has re play-ability much like DS here.

I feel that if you did not like Dark souls you might not enjoy Sekiro as much as I`m, sadly there is no demo. So risking spoilers you might want to look at some early stage gameplays.
But if you like more grounded settings (Feudal Japan that is not anime for once) it might be worth a shot!

Last edited:
Urggghhh

I'm really tempted to have a go, I love how it looks. I get the controller thing but like you VA I'm probably better off just sticking with M+K rather than gimping about with a controller.

Given you can now remap control inputs regardless of whether you're on controller or kb/m, I'd imagine it can be tailored pretty much to your heart's content.

After playing some more and even restarting just to get the feel of the control right I have to say its like playing Dark Souls but by doing "parry only" run hah. Needless to say my reflexes aint that great anymore so it will be long journey! Pretty cool and challenging combat system they introduced, not for easily raging folks. RIP my keyboard... :D

Sekiro definitely takes a bit of getting used to. I can feel my hands trying to lay down a lot of tactics and button presses that I'm conditioned to making from Dark Souls III and that isn't doing me any favors. Also, the lack of iframes are killing me a lot, didn't realize how much I crutched on that in Souls. I'm not sure that Sekiro is more difficult, but I think a lot of experience from Souls almost sets you up for failure, and the path forward to success is to accept the humility of being a noob and just embrace the darkness within.

Well, this is going to take a while. I certainly agree that as imperfect the analogy is, it does feels like a DS parry-only run. Except I absolutely suck at parry timing (can't even parry Gwyn...), so chaining those deflects is probably not going to happen, ever. That was never an issue with Souls, Nioh or the other various similar-ish games as I always had alternatives (different weapon, roll, block, stats, range, magic, poison...), but not so much here. Navigating the world is fine, since mobility and stealth are my alternative options, but once that's taken away, well, then you get a first boss
("none shall pass while I leave and you're a noob and I'll show you how proper men fight and etc etc" Gyoubu: got to say, that is a great entrance)
wrecking me like there's no tomorrow. It was like that early in Nioh though, with Onryoki in the boat making me its b***h, so well, hopefully it'll just click at some point and open up afterwards.

Last edited:
I will be honest, after playing even more and almost beating Lade Butterfly I think I will stick to Dark Souls. Dont get me wrong, Sekiro is a fantastic, I repeat, fantastic game. Especially in the todays world when new AAA titles are based/focused on hype, or SJW stuff, or monetizing every little thing.
Sekiro is non of that, its a full fleshed out adventure with certian combat mechanic that I just dont really enjoy and cant get decent at haha.
I love the world, I love the combat, I just suck at utilizing this combat - hard to explain, I know I contradicted myself here haha
Game is still my first candidate for eventual 2019 best title so far.

Really enjoying this. Much more so than the souls series anyway. It's much more polished on the PC with proper controls and such and there's a setting in game input menu to make the prompts come up as Keyboard Mouse and all! Lovely.

Very challenging for me though. That shinobi hunter mini boss beat me a lot before I got the trick of him.

Well, got over the hump. Turns out even as early in the game exploration does pay off big time. Boss down, multiple areas open. (y)

On an off-topic note, the 'General Gaming' section being merged with the completely random Off-Topic stuff is doing my head in. :(

edit: ah, the section is back, cheers to whoever set it back up.

Last edited:
God damn this is double nails hard at times. I've shouted more than once and rage quit to play something else. Then later I'll be driving to work and something will occur to me to try....

And that got me murdered horribly also.

Thinking cap back on.

I enjoyed the DSFixed souls a lot, mostly due to the pacing of combat (kinda realistic in that the characters moves at normal speeds..) and the relatively open strategies. If that's gone and it's become a twitch reflex fighter, i might pass that one...

How are you all getting on with Sekiro? I only played it for a bit before I was inspired to start another run through of DSIII and haven't quite made it back yet.

How are you all getting on with Sekiro? I only played it for a bit before I was inspired to start another run through of DSIII and haven't quite made it back yet.
As a person who never finished previous Souls games, I find it hard but not frustrating (like Souls games :LOL:) The combat feels great, although I've run into some problems with hitboxes and general glitches that usually cost me a good amount of progress.
I've heard that for Souls players the game is actually harder to learn than for a non-Souls players as it (possibly intentionally? We know what From are like. :) ) in many ways goes against their engrained habits and skills.
Plus I really love the setting.

Not as caught as with Souls games yet. The parry-focus and absolute deluge of boss/miniboss is a bit tiring for me. I'd appreaciate more/longer open areas as they are a joy to explore and move through. First blind run is always a slog though, so I expect things will be different on replay, but so far it's very much ambivalent feelings. It also doesn't help that I started seriously practicing the guitar. :p

Top Bottom