Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

hR5x9kE.jpg

Only two days left to go before it releases. I've held off watching anything remotely spoilery for so long until this morning. Now I'm even more excited for it. It's been sat in my library since last year and now the time is almost upon us.

Soulsborne fans unite in this thread and chat about our Miyazaki-inspired Ninja death simulator adventures.

Steam linky: https://store.steampowered.com/app/814380/Sekiro_Shadows_Die_Twice/

Picked it up too, and have read/watched almost nothing so as to avoid spoilers. I'm afraid I'll probably avoid this thread for a while after the game goes live too. The first blind run of these games has been a special experience so far, and one never get a chance to replicate, so if this one follows the trend...

I've learned to like DS recently, despite how many complains I have about laziness of their PC ports. This looks...different? I mean, it's great that studio explores new artistic directions. But honestly, I'd just be fine with more Dark Souls or something similar :) I will see what kind of beast this game will be. The boss fight they've shown a while ago looked meh.

Very related to Sekiro, earlier The_Happy_Hob finally got his godrun, all five soulsborne games back-to-back without taking a hit. Been watching this guy every single evening for the last 6 months and he's an absolute legend. Tonight was his last shot at the godrun before it got shelved for Sekiro, and he actually went and did it.

What a journey, over a year of prep, attempts, ill-health and all the other things that have stood in the way. All culminated in this moment:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlueMushyAnteaterUncleNox

Very related to Sekiro, earlier The_Happy_Hob finally got his godrun, all five soulsborne games back-to-back without taking a hit. Been watching this guy every single evening for the last 6 months and he's an absolute legend. Tonight was his last shot at the godrun before it got shelved for Sekiro, and he actually went and did it.

What a journey, over a year of prep, attempts, ill-health and all the other things that have stood in the way. All culminated in this moment:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlueMushyAnteaterUncleNox

Wait, what? You're saying he played all five souls games literally without taking one hit, ever, by a single creature in any one of them? I can't go 30 seconds without getting smacked.

Wait, what? You're saying he played all five souls games literally without taking one hit, ever, by a single creature in any one of them? I can't go 30 seconds without getting smacked.

Yep. Environmental and fall damage is allowed, to get RTSR setups etc. But deaths from environmental damage is run over, as is any stagger effect or hits from any enemy.

With out spoiling anything - it definitely has this unique Dark Souls vibe to it, and shares many well known mechanics like resting at the "bonfire" and loosing all your precious XP at death, but it does no feel like re skin of the Souls game.
Also it plays immensely faster and adds some unique mechanics and movement that is new to Souls serie.
Do I like it? Well, I dont remember not sleeping the entire night due to playing a video game until yesterday. I absolutely adore it. In my opinion BN once again provided us with unique and unforgettable title.

Last edited:
With out spoiling anything - it definitely has this unique Dark Souls vibe to it, and shares many well known mechanics like resting at the "bonfire" and loosing all your precious XP at death, but it does no feel like re skin of the Souls game.
Also it plays immensely faster and adds some unique mechanics and movement that is new to Souls serie.
Do I like it? Well, I dont remember not sleeping the entire night due to playing a video game until yesterday. I absolutely adore it. In my opinion BN once again provided us with unique and unforgettable title.

I just watched a 5 minute feature break down on Steam--I want it so bad right now!!!

I feel exactly the same. It's so unmistakably Miyazaki, but so so different to any of his other games. I love it already, and I'm getting my backside handed to me around every corner.

I love the feeling of being so lost in the world and so far behind the curve mechanically. It reminds me of the first time I played a souls game, and that's a feeling I never thought I'd have ever again.

It's actually a genre of playthroughs of it's own. No hit DS marathons are quite popular. Which doesn't make this guy's achievement any less mad or impressive.

The few days before Sekiro released were pretty amazing for the nohit community. Hob finally got his godrun, Otzdarva got his DS2 all-boss run and McDrunkard got his DS2 sorcery only any% run. All runs more than a year in the making and I was lucky enough to be around to see each of them.

Funnily enough, those who excel so much as souls are now the ones who are struggling so much with Sekiro now it's out. Muscle memory and strats die hard. :D

I really cant wait for all the crazy challenge runs that folks will come up with, looks like my fav lord of Souls games - almighty Lobos now have a new game to mess around with for the next 20 y or so :D

Questions for the fans here. With a short intro caveat for flavour.

I did not enjoy Dark Souls series. Mostly due to it feeling very consoley and the controls being rubbish on PC.

With the above the following questions:

1. Is this very like DS
2. How are the PC controls
3. Is there a decent story
4. Is it a linear experience/are there RPG elements

Questions for the fans here. With a short intro caveat for flavour.

I did not enjoy Dark Souls series. Mostly due to it feeling very consoley and the controls being rubbish on PC.

With the above the following questions:

1. Is this very like DS
2. How are the PC controls
3. Is there a decent story
4. Is it a linear experience/are there RPG elements

The controls on PC are exactly the same on PC as console, as long as you're using a controller. If you were using a mouse and keyboard for souls then there's no wonder you didn't enjoy it.

To answer your questions though:

1) Very different. You can tell it's a Fromsoft/Miyazaki game because of certain elements, but the whole combat and movement system has been redone from the ground up.
2) Use a controller. You miss out on so much of what makes Fromsoft games so good by nerfing yourself using a keyboard/mouse. That said, the controls feel tighter and more direct and responsive. It almost has a Platinum-esque Bayonetta feel to how it responds and how rhythmic the combat can be.
3) Story is very Miyazaki-ish so far. It's told indirectly and with much nuance. In the way it's done it reminds me of the soulsborne games.
4) There's no level system like the souls games, instead you have skill trees. You earn and spend skill points to 'level up' essentially.

Last edited:
The controls on PC are exactly the same on PC as console, as long as you're using a controller. If you were using a mouse and keyboard for souls then there's no wonder you didn't enjoy it.

To answer your questions though:

1) Very different. You can tell it's a Fromsoft/Miyazaki game because of certain elements, but the whole combat and movement system has been redone from the ground up.
2) Use a controller. You miss out on so much of what makes Fromsoft games so good by nerfing yourself using a keyboard/mouse. That said, the controls feel tighter and more direct and responsive. It almost has a Platinum-esque Bayonetta feel to how it responds and how rhythmic the combat can be.
3) Story is very Miyazaki-ish so far. It's told indirectly and with much nuance. In the way it's done it reminds me of the soulsborne games.
4) There's no level system like the souls games, instead you have skill trees. You earn and spend skill points to 'level up' essentially.

How does it hold up to Souls in terms of art direction, level design and creature design? Is it as "big" as the Souls games?

How does it hold up to Souls in terms of art direction, level design and creature design? Is it as "big" as the Souls games?

I'm only early game and I'm limiting my stream watching to people who aren't too far ahead of me, so can't say how it holds up in the long haul against Soulsborne.

It looks really really good though, it has as much if not more atmosphere than Bloodborne does. The grappling hook and flowing movement mechanic means the levels have a lot more verticality to them. Level design and size I don't think can be really compared because Souls games are large horizontally whereas Sekiro I would say is a vertical sprawl.

Last edited:
I'm only early game and I'm limiting my stream watching to people who aren't too far ahead of me, so can't say how it holds up in the long haul against Soulsborne.

It looks really really good though, it has as much if not more atmosphere than Bloodborne does. The grappling hook and flowing movement mechanic means the levels have a lot more verticality to them. Level design and size I don't think can be really compared because Souls games are large horizontally whereas Sekiro I would say is a vertical sprawl.

Glad you're enjoying it so much. I'm going to buy it tonight:)

Edit: I just did lolol

Last edited:
Top Bottom