sense of scale in VR and a burried IPD variable

So, the sense of scale never seemed right to me. I've been playing more and every time I did, it was nagging at my brain. So,today... I dug around and found a settings file at
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\settings.xml
Within this file there was a variable...
<IPDAmount>
and it was set to 0.020300
:O
I set my vive to 60.3 (the lowest it goes) because my IPD is 60... So... I figure 1 must equal 1 meter and change the number to 0.060300 I save open the game, get in the cockpit & BOOM!
Night and day, the game makes sense now. I've been reading all these posts for the past year trying to convince me I was crazy and everything looked fine... Seriously, there are people out there telling people like me that the game is scaled perfectly & the reason it doesn't look right has to do with all this mumbo jumbo about how your eyes can't resolve the detail & the game actually thought my eyes were two centimeters apart....
:|
So... if you think the sense of scale is off in VR, try tweaking that variable. There's also a <StereoFocalDistance> variable, but I have no idea what the maximum is... wish there was some kind of reference out there... I think it defaults at 35, I set it to 70 and the stars/planets looked MASSIVE during super cruise flyby... not sure, maybe placebo? think it just changes the focal point of the 3D effect... so higher numbers will focus farther away... no idea though tbh. maybe sightedness will determine what setting feels the most comfortable. Since the headset can't predict where you're focusing, the best you can do is set the focal distance somewhere in your own goldilocks zone. again, no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Yeah, the planets and stars don't look as big as I feel they should. Everything else looks fine, but when something is off with the big objects.

Last edited:
Right,

I just changed the IPD variable in my settings file to my lens spacing (67mm) and I think there maybe something different, but can't tell if it is a placebo effect or not. It didn't break anything mind so I think I'll just leave it set for 67mm for now.

This is the strange thing about VR, as you only have the frame of reference within the game world. It is hard to tell if the game world is correct as opposed to your perception being out of whack.

Meso

It’s long been known that the scaling with the Vive is all wrong, which is why the Rift is the preferred VR headset for ED.

It’s long been known that the scaling with the Vive is all wrong, which is why the Rift is the preferred VR headset for ED.

The scaling is wrong when using my Rift. I have the body of a 12 year old. I don't think the issue is specific to a particular device.

The scaling is wrong when using my Rift. I have the body of a 12 year old. I don't think the issue is specific to a particular device.
Mine’s fine. If you’re significantly taller IRL, it can make your in-game body feel smaller.

So, the sense of scale never seemed right to me. I've been playing more and every time I did, it was nagging at my brain. So,today... I dug around and found a settings file at
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\settings.xml
Within this file there was a variable...
<IPDAmount>
and it was set to 0.020300
:O
I set my vive to 60.3 (the lowest it goes) because my IPD is 60... So... I figure 1 must equal 1 meter and change the number to 0.060300 I save open the game, get in the cockpit & BOOM!
Night and day, the game makes sense now. I've been reading all these posts for the past year trying to convince me I was crazy and everything looked fine... Seriously, there are people out there telling people like me that the game is scaled perfectly & the reason it doesn't look right has to do with all this mumbo jumbo about how your eyes can't resolve the detail & the game actually thought my eyes were two centimeters apart....
:|
So... if you think the sense of scale is off in VR, try tweaking that variable. There's also a <StereoFocalDistance> variable, but I have no idea what the maximum is... wish there was some kind of reference out there... I think it defaults at 35, I set it to 70 and the stars/planets looked MASSIVE during super cruise flyby... not sure, maybe placebo? think it just changes the focal point of the 3D effect... so higher numbers will focus farther away... no idea though tbh. maybe sightedness will determine what setting feels the most comfortable. Since the headset can't predict where you're focusing, the best you can do is set the focal distance somewhere in your own goldilocks zone. again, no idea what I'm talking about.

+Rep

I have a Rift and never felt the scaling was off but can't wait to try your suggestion!

Mine’s fine. If you’re significantly taller IRL, it can make your in-game body feel smaller.

As indicated by the OP, the issue is with differing IPDs. I'm not super tall, we just have different IPDs, and yours is likely closer to the default.

Anyone else tried this out? I'm going to give it a try anyway, though scale is a weird thing given I've never found myself sitting in the cockpit of a spaceship flying past a gas giant at a few thousand miles.

Interesting. I'd noticed this with the Rift as well.
If I look down at the character's knees then lift the headset to compare with my own there's a marked difference in size. Arms are shorter, hands are smaller as well.
The flight controls are smaller than their real world equivalents, given that they're supposed to be Saitek.

Last edited:
This makes me want to play in VR again. Only reason is stopped was because for some reason my controller would lock out after a Jump now and then making me ram into stars. But when I play on desktop every now and then it auto minimizes the game, so tomato tomato I guess :p (can’t figure out why, would love to) but I remember my first time playing VR. Always thought on my 43” tv that planets were small and the capital ships were unimpressive. Then I went to VR. And holy mother of god are things huge lol. The capital ships are BEAST! Totally changes the game.
Still won’t use VR for exploration tho. The sky isn’t black enough and the resolution on the Rift isn’t so great by comparison so all the sight seeing looks a little too blurry for my taste. But mission running and bounty hunting etc, Thargoid bases etx. fantastic.

Been playing for a bit with a setting same as my IPD as per the OPs calculation and I think there is something in it. From the SRV, my Cobra looked wider in a good way.

Only way for sure would be if the Devs chime in and confirm what the setting does.

Meso

Last edited:
Being playing for a bit with a setting same as my IPD as per the OPs calculation and I think there is something in it. From the SRV, my Cobra looked wider in a good way.

Only way for sure would be if the Devs chime in and confirm what the setting does.

Meso

I think it does what it says on the tin, adjusts the IPD, hence why results will vary.

Last edited:
Might be something in this. Didn't notice a difference in my Type 7 but jumped into a Viper IV and the cockpit seems more compact, like how a fighter cockpit should feel. Been a long time since I was last in it though so perhaps it hasn't changed at all.

Top Bottom