Engineers Sensor Fragments for Professor Palin

May, 2019. It's still there
HIP 17403 A 4 A -34,98/-141,41
Had to login/logout a few times but with the amount that spawned, maxed out 100 fragments in 9 minutes. Only delay was waiting for the canister to roll down that hill after every login.

Last edited:
At Thargoid Surface Sites, Scavengers can drop sensor fragments on death.
I got enough for Papa Palin while grinding for the Enzyme Missile components, easy.

Yes, its there in HIP 17403. I just got enough for Palin last week.

I had no problem finding the crash site after I hit it with some probes. Funny story: the first trek out in the SRV, I did not spot any (I expected to look different) but got some mats in the process; so I'm thinking I had to climb that hill in the middle of the crater so I tried and almost got to the top then went on a tumble.

I don't do VR but that SRV tumbling end over end, rolling and rolling, and I got sick to my stomach. I have a tendency to motion sickness but I have not felt like that in a few decades. That's a nice thing about ED, how realistic its physics can be. After that I don't think I should try VR.

So, short story long, I had to log off for other things and I came back and found enough to satisfy that gready Palin. I did the 5000 Ly thing about a year ago and just now talked myself into finishing it.

GL HF

I went there too and found nothing in two hours (incl. many relogs). I still dont understand how FD thinks things like this are a good idea. (I did not went there for myself, but for a friend who needs sensors fragments for Prof. Palin - lets see if he will continue to play or not. My bet is not...)

MFG

CMDR WER NUR

Sorry to hear that. If I did not have a DSS I'm sure it would be more difficult to find the site but with the DSS the Alien crash site is marked on the surface. I just flew to the general area (the marker goes away after you get closer) but the coords given here many times is correct. There's a crater near the coords with a typical mound or mountain in the center. There are several crashed human ships around this hill and the Thargoid ship parts scattered around. I just wandered around (as I mentioned above) and found a couple the second venture out in the SRV. All the canisters I found were around the base of the hill. I only relogged a couple times to find enough for Palin. I have no idea how RNG works with these things but if I was determined and I found the wreckage, I would hang around as long as it takes.

(I hate with a passion surface prospecting so I can understand frustration with this. I've been so low on raw mats now for months I can't do anything with the new found engineer to upgrade my Thrusters past 3. So I've sat on a planet with 4.3% Selenium (and other nice raw mats) for the past two days. I've got ~enough now so today I'll venture out one more time in the SRV then leave and go see a Raw Mats Trader.)

GL HF

Edit: Be careful how you blow up the canisters (I've read here) because I suppose you can destroy the sensors inside the canister. You can watch the % of destruction so when it gets below ~10, hit it with single shots.

Last edited:
Speaking of Palin I did not realize (my fault) he was such a demanding twit. I got him to upgrade my thrusters to G2 DD so I pinned the BP. Then I realize I'm only rep'd up to 2. Now I got to go do more exploring to sell him carto data. (I'm asking, is that correct?)

You drive 5k Ly away, you get him some goid sensor fragments, now I have to sell him a bunch more carto data (even though I sold him all the 5K LY carto I made for the first requirement). Greedy ... ... fill in the blank

GL HF Commanders

sorry for the rant

Speaking of Palin I did not realize (my fault) he was such a demanding twit. I got him to upgrade my thrusters to G2 DD so I pinned the BP. Then I realize I'm only rep'd up to 2. Now I got to go do more exploring to sell him carto data. (I'm asking, is that correct?)

No that isn't correct. Like all engineers you increase your access level by having them perform modifications (not remote workshop of pinned mods) - selling carto data or other stuff is incidental. So get Profesor Proton Palin to carry-out modifications to get up to G5 access.

No that isn't correct. Like all engineers you increase your access level by having them perform modifications (not remote workshop of pinned mods) - selling carto data or other stuff is incidental. So get Profesor Proton Palin to carry-out modifications to get up to G5 access.

OK, I'll have to look into this a bit more. I'm not at Prof. Palin's place at the moment. I have a DD mod up to G3 from Ms. Farseer. It shows up at Palin's as G2 and the rep slider is about 1/3 to G3 and does not give me the option to continue upgrading to G3, 4, etc.
I'm sure there's more to this than I'm aware of. I am not an ED Engineering guru, so there must be some small detail I'm missing. I'll post up after I get there and can be more informative.

Palin can only go to G3 with FSDs so since it is G3 already, he can't do any higher mods on it. Ignore that, I misread the post, sorry.

Were the Mods from Farseer a while ago? They could be "legacy" modifications and you need to "Grandfather" / convert them (at a loss of grade) before you can mod them.

Assuming you have materials available, you can buy cheap thrusters in his outfitting - storing your good ones - and mod that with whatever mats you have for the job to raise your access level and then swap it out and sell it.

info on him here: https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/3/

Last edited:
This is what Palins shop is saying:
"buy modifications to unlock the next grade"
"to craft higher grade blueprints you need enough engineer reputation. and to have completed all lower grade blueprints of the same type"

The Mods are fairly recent because they're on my T10 which I bought a week after the last beta (testing opportunity).

Do I have to remove those modifications (from Ms. Farseer) and start over or buy a new 7A Thruster ?
I'm stuck at about 2.4 on the slider

Thanks for the input .... GL HF

No you can mod stuff that Farseer did. Even if they were legacy mods you should still be able to modify them, you just get a warning first.

So I don't see a reason why you can't modify them. Except of course if they are already at G3 and you don't have G4 access (or G3 id they are not "competed" G3 mods) then you can't inprove THAT modification. However you can fit a cheap set of thrusters at Palin's outfitting (7D at about 2MCr), mod them to get your access up and swap back your current ones and see if you can mod them now.

BTW Palin doesn't have 7A thrusters in his outfitting - that is why I suggest buying a cheap version and wasting materials on modding that to move your access level.

Sorry I can't be more help.

You've been very helpful Para. I noticed Palin's didn't have a 7A thruster. I have a plan to get another and either sell that G2 C7A or store it away (most likely what I'll do). Before heading back to the my main base I may go do some minor exploring and sell it to Ole' Man Palin and see if the slider moves. ... just in case.

Thanks again and GL and HF

I got level-5 access to Palin now. The way I did it was:

I flew to my main base (honking all the way) located near the end of the bubble and bought a brand new 7A thruster with my Vette and put it in storage. Flew back to Pleiades in my FGS, shipped the 7A to my FOB at Celaeno (did a few passenger deliveries while waiting). I was sitting at ~2.4 rep with Palin. I turned in ~267K's worth of exploration data and moved the slider to around 2.9. That did not help much but 267K of exploration data isn't much either.

Got in the T10 I had at Artemis and swapped thrusters to the new 7A. Flew to Palin, proceeded to engineer for DDs and got almost to the end of G4 (but ran out of MCFirmware - no problem I have the BP) ... and that moved my rep to be a G5 grade client. The next test is to get more data and try the BP away from his base.

GL HF

Go here:
-HIP 17403 A 4 A, LAT -34.98, LONG -141.41
Some are already fragments. Some are 'Alien Sensors". Do not scoop Canisters of sensors! Shoot the canisters. They then break up into a few sensor fragments.
I logged out and back in maybe 2x and got all 25 in less than 5 minutes. I just did this 2 days ago. Frankly the easiest material for unlock I've had in a long time.

This was the easiest way. I was expecting a bit of a slog to get them but once I mapped the planet a crashed thargoid ship showed up as a POI at the above coords and sure enough 5 mins later I had over 30 fragments, super easy and 1 jump from Maia.

I went there a few days ago and I couldn’t get anywhere near the crash site as it was too steep. I just kept slipping down the hill. After driving around for about an hour I only found 3 sensor fragments. Am I doing something wrong?

I went there a few days ago and I couldn’t get anywhere near the crash site as it was too steep. I just kept slipping down the hill. After driving around for about an hour I only found 3 sensor fragments. Am I doing something wrong?

I just landed at the base of the hill.

log in and wait about 30s. Canisters will roll down the hill. Shoot them for a couple of fragments each (don't forget that each fragment scooped up gives you 3 materials worth)

I just landed at the base of the hill.

log in and wait about 30s. Canisters will roll down the hill. Shoot them for a couple of fragments each (don't forget that each fragment scooped up gives you 3 materials worth)
I’ll give that a go then. Once I get these fragments I’ll be completely done with the Engineers. I do think I’m missing something tho. I can see the sensors fragments but I can’t actually reach them. Lol

OMG - who mucked up the site in HIP 17403 ? All the way up that steep mound! Crazy! Why did they have to mess up what was a vary useful layout? Now you have to relog and wait to see where the probes roll to. :mad:

Going with just the in-game information available to a player what are the chances of finding the fragments?
Gotta say this is a woeful bit of gameplay.

Top Bottom