Patch Notes September Update - Patch 1

..... So if you are really interested in communication it's not that difficult. ........

The things is though that it is their job to communicate effectively, the onus should be on them to get the information realdily available to us, not require us to actively search for it. Customers having to rely on third party tools to find out what is going on shows that the company's communicatons are faulty.

If the "Staff/Developer Posts" option on the forum just returned staff posts and not just list every thread with a dev post in it then that might be OK but at the moment they are not making a decent fist of communicating on the forum.

It would be awesome if the forums's dev tracker was actually working. ....

Precisely.

The things is though that it is their job to communicate effectively, the onus should be on them to get the information realdily available to us, not require us to actively search for it. Customers having to rely on third party tools to find out what is going on shows that the company's communicatons are faulty.
Using that argument you could just as well complain that reading their comments requires a web browser... ;)
Anyway, considering that most other developers aren't communicating at all I am quite happy that Will usually makes several posts per day. And as said above, you could just follow them using the forum software.

If the "Staff/Developer Posts" option on the forum just returned staff posts and not just list every thread with a dev post in it then that might be OK but at the moment they are not making a decent fist of communicating on the forum.
As said above, with that I absolutely agree.

iu

Well there are several ways to get relevant information. You can click on the Dev Post icon to cycle through their replies. You can follow them and see all their posts in your personal forum news feed. You can visit https://elitedevtracker.com/ (which for some reason doesn't display posts by Stephen Benedetti) or you can follow the RSS feed https://ed.miggy.org/devposts.html (which is what I do). So if you are really interested in communication it's not that difficult. Sure, they could also start a new thread for each and every comment they make, but I feel like this would be a little over the top. For more "important" stuff (like the bobblehead), maybe a new thread would've made sense, but for me there is no clear right or wrong in this case.

PS
I am just happy that they are posting... ;)
I normally rely on OA to keep me informed since I stopped being obsessed.

@Flannagan

Ok , here is what the EliteDangerous64.exe.watchdog file says about my copy of ED bombing out on "Unable to Initialize Network. Please Check Your Connection" on a Verizon DSL connection that worked fine for ED for 41/2 years. It only handles IPv4 addressing;

Opened log file.
StartProcess
waiting for event...
Event triggered!
Target app exited cleanly with exit code 3221225477.
Closed log file.

The associated network log

============================================
Logs/netLog.190925110946.01.log (part 1)
2019-09-25 11:09 Eastern Daylight Time
============================================
{15:09:46GMT 0.273s} ClientBuild 3.5.1.203 EDH r211343 (win64)
{15:09:46GMT 0.352s} === GetNetworkParams: Host:Anonymous-WS Domain: ===
{15:09:54GMT 8.346s} upnpDiscover() error code=0
{15:09:54GMT 8.346s} failed to initialise upnp
{15:09:54GMT 8.677s} IPv4 is enabled, but address not found
{15:13:13GMT 207.561s} Machine 1 x 2 Local Machine disconnected: shutdown

What address, precisely, is ED looking for?

Last edited:
I am unable to download the patch to the update. I select update and then nothing happens. Anybody else having this issue?

Nobody wants to have such customers. If someone would be that upset with me because I raised an eyebrow, after he accused me of not doing something while I evidently did it, well... I am pretty sure that I would show him the door.
And all that because they basically gifted you a Thargoid bobblehead and increased their offer by another week or something. I really have no words for this, but I am pretty sure that it's the same people who are responsible for the sad state of the world. Their false entitlement and greed is the root of most evil and little examples like this show that they don't have a place in society.
So it's not like customers are a irritation, just unreasonable people.

Epic Sarcasm! You are a Master! Props! 11/11! #Over9000

I am unable to download the patch to the update. I select update and then nothing happens. Anybody else having this issue?

Try validating your files from the Options tab in the ED launcher. Or uninstall , reboot, reinstall. or just hit upgrade and go for a walk. That last one worked for me.

I checked under the options tab in the launcher and I have no option to validate the files. Also when I try to update and nothing happens when I close the launcher I see the error: "Unhandled exceptions. Not enough quota is available to process this command."

I checked under the options tab in the launcher and I have no option to validate the files. Also when I try to update and nothing happens when I close the launcher I see the error: "Unhandled exceptions. Not enough quota is available to process this command."
Are you logged into your Frontier account? Did you bypass the Windows Firewall exception screen on install. What have you done to try and eliminate your installation as the problem?

This implies a file system issue with the FS on which you have the game installed. It may actually be a quota issue: if this is the case, increase your quota or ask your sysadmin to do so. You may have inadvertently enabled quotas and disabling them may be the correct answer if this is a single user PC with a local file system. It's also possible that the file system is simply full or close to full. Finally, quota may be applicable to something other than just file system space. In some edge cases, you may need to add a fresh SSD to your computer and reinstall the game on it instead of the current storage volume on which it's installed.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I unchecked multithread downloads and virtual cache in the options and it solved the problem. Go figure. thanks again.

Thanks FDev for the update, I'm glad to see you take the position of pushing quality of life improvements while the heavier enhancement is worked on behind the scenes.

This implies a file system issue with the FS on which you have the game installed. It may actually be a quota issue: if this is the case, increase your quota or ask your sysadmin to do so. You may have inadvertently enabled quotas and disabling them may be the correct answer if this is a single user PC with a local file system. It's also possible that the file system is simply full or close to full. Finally, quota may be applicable to something other than just file system space. In some edge cases, you may need to add a fresh SSD to your computer and reinstall the game on it instead of the current storage volume on which it's installed.

Ridiculous suggestion. Ridiculous scenario. This problem is in FDev's half a s s ed approach to game development. Version Control much Mr. Braben?

Last edited:
Top Bottom