Serious PVP Question, Not Baiting

I have all the engineers within the bubble unlocked, and run grade 5 mods on most everything. No PP, or alien stuff except for the FSD booster.

So, my question is: Can a simple G5 engineered 'Vette hold it's own against the majority of the Open crowd? Assuming one-on-one of course. Thanks. :)

Yup, you will be able to battle most of the open players just fine, only a minority are very good pvp pilots.
edit: Remember to check modules before fighting, reverb cascade torpedoes might make you scratch your head about what the hell just happened :D

Last edited:
After watching many vids posted here, it looks to me like the med, faster ships can make mincemeat out of corvette as their speed can dictate the battle.
I mean, I've been wrecked by a vette, but i'm lousy at fighting.

I've heard this before, but I'm not sure exactly how speed makes that much of a difference? I use FA off to turn, and as long as my weps are pointed at a target, how are they 'dictating the battle'?

If a smaller/faster ship wants to boost out of weps range to recharge, that's cool, as that gives me time to recharge as well. :)

After watching many vids posted here, it looks to me like the med, faster ships can make mincemeat out of corvette as their speed can dictate the battle.
I mean, I've been wrecked by a vette, but i'm lousy at fighting.

I'm taking out most of the "meta PVP build" FDLs that I meet in a t-10 with plasma launchers, and I'm a very bad PVP pilot and not in a proper PVP build ever because I carry all sorts of tools and gadgets for robbing people better :D
The OP should do just fine in a G5 combat focused anaconda.

Bigger ships can also always dictate if the battle even happens by waking away.

And around 90% of people I meet in combat actually fly into mines, really.

OP will do fine :D

I've heard this before, but I'm not sure exactly how speed makes that much of a difference? I use FA off to turn, and as long as my weps are pointed at a target, how are they 'dictating the battle'?

If a smaller/faster ship wants to boost out of weps range to recharge, that's cool, as that gives me time to recharge as well. :)
There's a video just posted here a couple days ago showing 2 vipers pecking at a corvette until it goes buhbye.
Basically the vette can't land a shot.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/2x-viper-vs-vette-fdl-vs-fdl.519694/

There's a video just posted here a couple days ago showing 2 vipers pecking at a corvette until it goes buhbye.
Basically the vette can't land a shot.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/2x-viper-vs-vette-fdl-vs-fdl.519694/

Yep, these guys are in the minority of very good PVP pilots, in very specialized builds and the vette takes a punishment when he could actually just leave, as neither of the vipers have FSB breakers.

Yarr, not a good day for that vette pilot :D

You will wipe the floor with most of the people you meet in that, especially as you said that you're already using FAoff and probably know about combat in general.

Go crack some skulls :D!

Powderpanic

Banned
OP based on your build, this is a stronger version by miles

Honestly, for PVP, you would be better swapping out your small MC's for Long Range cascade rails and making one of the other MC's corrosive.

Powerpanic
The Voice of Griefing

Last edited:
Thanks Powerpanic, I saved that for later inspection.

I don't put much faith in Coriolis' numbers, but if I change my target (on my Open build) to a regular Corvette, according to the site my shields will last over 20 minutes longer than those you showed me.

I was told, a long time ago, that better resistances beat raw shield numbers. Is that wrong? But then when PVEing I'm not getting hammered with fully engineered weps either, so maybe a different config is in order?

I don't know what a cascade rail is, nor do I have access to them. Are they PP weps?

As I said, I'm a complete noob when it comes to PVP. :)

Last edited:

Powderpanic

Banned
Feedback cascade rails are engineering effect. They cancel the shield charge from a SCB.

High MJ builds with decent not perfect resistance, tend to trump resistance builds in real life PVP.
Seeing as most of the time you will be being hit by PA's and sitting in all pips to shields. Once you start banking, you are on nearing the end of a fight. As they will get mostly cancelled.

There is no one fits all build because PVP is so borked now. Used to make sense, shields protected against thermal. Hull vs kinetic.

Also, you need to get Prismatics from PP Space Princess ASAP.

Powerpanic
The Voice of Griefing

On the medium ships I build, I tend to gain roughly 15% in absolute MJ by compromising 8% of thermal resistance when I go for reinforced fast charge + thermal & HD boosters instead of thermal res fast charge + res aug & HD boosters. YMMV. But because plasma is a thing and the absolute MJ pool is the smallest to begin with, I invariably end up favoring absolute.

As Powderpanic said, with engineering in place you will encounter shields that will be weaker to kinetic than thermal. All bets are basically off.

And I don't really know or care for nth digit accuracy but Coriolis is sufficiently accurate, I would recommend to trust it rather than trial & error engineer G5 mods using actual mats.

I have all the engineers within the bubble unlocked, and run grade 5 mods on most everything. No PP, or alien stuff except for the FSD booster.

So, my question is: Can a simple G5 engineered 'Vette hold it's own against the majority of the Open crowd? Assuming one-on-one of course. Thanks. :)
Yes, it can. With some caveats.

Depends on your build. If your build is bad for PvP (no MRPs, no hull, bad shield choices etc.) all G5 in the world doesn't help you.
If you run into a CMDR with reverb torps, and you rely on shields, you're toast if you don't highwake out quickly.
If you run without module protection and lose shields, you propably lose your FSD or thrusters and are toast.
You propably won't be able to kill your assailant, because your time on target will suffer against agile foes.
Conversely, if your build is good a single ship never will be able to kill you before you jump out either.

Yesterday I fooled around with my Corvette against @NCFCpaul and we did two friendlies with my Vette (fixed PvP loadout, 7A prismatics, standard armor)
against his Krait MkII and Mamba. Both fights took about 7-10 minutes until I dropped him to 20% hull. If he had run, I'd not be able to stop him,
and he couldn't make a real dent in my shields either. Will load them up later. He wasn't running an anti-bigship loadout though.

Last edited:
Adding to what @Bigmaec says above my Krait has three long range G5 pulse lasers on the biggest hardpoints and two pack hounds on the C2 slots. I think I took one ring from his shield, maybe. The Krait is a pretty good PvP ship but with that loadout forget it.

Afterwards I tried my Mamba which has three PA's and two rails, the C4 hardpoint being an over charged PA- it does cook the Mamba a bit... Anyhow, same result, even landing good hits didn't do much to his shields. After all that if I had dropped the Vette's shields it would have taken forever to crack his hull.

Ours was a friendly fight but had I been ganked by a Corvette escaping would have been very easy. In truth escape is mostly quite easy in any scenario. It's much easier than standing you ground, certainly.

For example I've jumped into Deciat and been swamped by four FDL's, a quick high wake and shields stayed up (just). If Bigmaec posts the vids you'll see evidence of what a rank average PvP pilot I am, so if I can escape so can anyone.

Top Bottom