Ships Serious question about the Krait Phantom

I finally got around to experimenting with a Krait Phantom since I saw it was frequently used in DW2.

So far I can't really see a place for this ship in my fleet. I mean it doesn't outjump my Asp or DBx, can't carry as much as my Python and the other Krait seems more combat capable.

Basically, I am wondering if I am missing something and wonder what makes other players plump for it?

(BTW I am not complaining about the annoying white lights on the canopy frame which I knew about from the beta.)

The Phantom has 2 more grade 5 slots and one more slot overall, compared to the AspX, so you can pack some larger goodies (2 bay SRV, large AFMU, shields, fuel tank, etc).

Phantom is not quite as good a jump range, but pretty close. I see it as more capable for long exploration tours.

Subjective, but I think the Phantom is more photogenic too.

That said, I prefer the MkII so I can pack an SLF for entertainment value (boredom alleviator)

Due to Slot configuration as GeoJase said you can bring more useful stuff.
Also you can equip your Phantom better if not going for absolute jump range.

I took the above Phantom to SagA / Explorers Anchorage during DW2 and was certified gank free by DG2 ;)

I do see the advantage in taking a 2 SRV hangar but I have always found my explo AspX with one to be sufficient:

Looking at the actual figures I reckon there is something awry anyway. I had figured with the larger size of the Phantom then it must obviously be heavier and so disadvantaged, however on actually looking I see that it's bare-bones mass is actually 10t less than the AspX. So presumably Faulcon DeLacy have invented a new lightweight material to build their ships from - probably explains why it is six times the price of an AspX. ;)

Anywayup - thanks for the replies and I think I'll just stick the Phantom in the hangar for now anyway.

I do see the advantage in taking a 2 SRV hangar but I have always found my explo AspX with one to be sufficient:

Looking at the actual figures I reckon there is something awry anyway. I had figured with the larger size of the Phantom then it must obviously be heavier and so disadvantaged, however on actually looking I see that it's bare-bones mass is actually 10t less than the AspX. So presumably Faulcon DeLacy have invented a new lightweight material to build their ships from - probably explains why it is six times the price of an AspX. ;)

Anywayup - thanks for the replies and I think I'll just stick the Phantom in the hangar for now anyway.
Phantom is built from scrap Anacondas (fairy dust) hull material. (y)

Basically, I am wondering if I am missing something and wonder what makes other players plump for it?

It's been said already.
The benefit of having dual srv is really tempting.
So generally speaking: more utility, better speed, better brakes, better shields, better jump range - not by much, but still better.
AspX is better than Phantom only in: SC maneuverability and cockpit visibility

The Phantom is cooler too, heat coefficient is 456 for the phantom, 410 for the asp (higher is better).

Slightly off topic (sorry) question for the krait owners: how manouverable are the two kraits?
When building in coriolis you’ll get a pitchrate comparable to a Viper IV or a python. I know the manouvering stats on coriolis are slightly off for the newest ships (alliance trio).
As a former Viper IV user I know pitchrate isn’t everything, but they’re a pretty good indicator for ship responsiveness.
Everybody in these forums and online suggests the kraits are very manouverable in combat, but what stats are your kraits getting?

Kraits are about Viper IV maneuverability (in fact, this is shared with the Mamba, the conventional wisdom about Mamba turning speed is wrong after the buffs).

I don't absolutely need all those internal slots, but I like the fact that the Krait has "room to grow". If FDev suddenly comes up with something new to take with me on those exploration trips, new use for research limpets for example, it won't be so painful to swap out that extra fuel tank I currently have on a size 3 slot.

The annoying thing about the phantom is it's more sluggish in supercruise compared to the asp. If you do a lot of exploring of the sort where you map earthlikes and waterworlds, this may matter to you.

Top Bottom