General Several Suggestions for ELITE, long text

After being a long time thinking about these Ideas, I am going to explan them here, separed by categories. Most of them are adressed to improve and promote player-player interactions.

It´s a long text, I hope FDEV reads it and of course anyone who read this thread can ping me or PM and suggest.

- BGS and powerplay.
1- Make BGS and powerplay open only. My suggestion is every nav data, mission, bounty, powerplay brochures, powerplay point, commodities, whatever, made in OPEN should be the only one to be able to have any influence in BGS/ powerplay. The way I would do this is these items should be marked as "OPEN ITEMS" and in the very moment you change to SOLO/PG, these items would be marked as "NO-OPEN ITEMS" (or something similar) even if you go back to Open. This way new players that play only in SOLO/PG could be capable of gain reputation with a powerplay to obtain a weapon, or with a minor faction, earn money making missions, etc, but without having influence in the galaxy.
2- Donation missions should require donate the money and them fly to another base to end the mission, this way a ship in open could not move the BGS just sitting in a station and spending money without risk.
3- More rewards for BGS. At the moment the BGS apart from seeing % rising in your favourite faction does not give anything for the players. BGS could be more dinamic and active if players in a squadron making BGS for his faction, could get a reward based on the amount of population the faction controls at the end of a week, month, etc. It could be money, materials, extra ARX, special decals, or even engineered modules. Also the possibility of changing name bases, etc. Maybe for POWERPLAY a similar reward system could be implemented.

- Crime and Punishment, security.
1- Let´s be real. Security system in this game is a joke. This should change specially in high security systems. High security systems police should have full wings of engineered NPC´s ships, piloted by clever IA pilots who should make every criminal think two times before killing another commander for no reason, and they should come quickly, 10 seconds or something like that, not 1 and a half minute. Also a wanted pilot who enters in a high security system should be interdicted by this forces one time after another. This way also anarchy systems would be a thing in BGS level to stablish "safe" places for outlaws.
2- No wanted pilot should be able to land in a base he is wanted. I have seen several times people killing new commanders in Felicity Farseer, and them land in the base to reload shield. In the very moment you get near of a base you are wanted, the base should try to blow you in pieces, that´s all. I also have seen pilots wanted landing in orbital bases, and doing the same, that does not have any logic.
3- When a commander reach level 4 (or less, it´s a suggestion) of notoriety, reached for example killing NPC´s other players, etc, it´s forced to play in open until he reaches notoriety 1 or so again. Also notoriety should be only reducid playing and flying REALLY in open, not sitting in a station and just waiting.
4- When a commander has made a lot of crimes repeatedly (again some notoriety level), should has a "marker" that other commanders could see in the galaxy map. Some kind of marker or list of wanted commanders online in that moment and in the system. Also in, for example, in medium and high security systems. If a wanted commander is even out of supercruise, if another commander go nearer than, for example, 100 LS, it could appear a signal revealing a wanted commander is there, so bounty hunters could track him. As this signal does not appear in low and anarcky systems, again some systems could be used as safe place.
5- Remove the 2 millions limit for bountys. Ok, I know this was limited to avoid people passing credits to another player letting him to be killed, but it´s not fair if a kill a wanted commander, who has let´s suppose 100 million bounty, I only get 2 million. I could get for example 50% of the bounty, (or 60%, whatever). The typical FDL has a rebuy of about ten million, so the bounty hunter / enforcer proffesion would be much more lucrative if bounty limits are modified, and of course it would improve interaction between outlaws and lawfuls

- CG´s and interestellar Initiatives
1- In some way the developers should actively participate in CG´s, with a ship marked clearly as piloted by a developer (or someone contracted for that). Of course the pilot has to be a experienced pilot and the ship should be fully engineered. Interacting with these pilots could have any special reward for who do this. Also this way the developers would be much near of the community.
2- CG´s open only. In the very moment you sign in at least one or more CG´s, interestellar initiatives or whatever, you are instantly changed to open and can´t change to solo/PG until all the CG´s you are signed are ended. CG´s should make people connect and interact.

- Economy
1- The economy should be more dinamic, both local system and also galaxy system. We have seen in the last months miners are flooding the bubble with opals and diamonds, but the prices are the same. This have made now in the game any new commander can make billions in the first week of play. I am not telling we have to go back to the first years of game where making money was extremely difficult, but I think now is unbalanced. In a real economy system, the vast increase in offer should have made the prices of these items to drop quickly, so people should have moved to trade / mine other items to make money. A dinamic economy system should take into account the offer and demand, so the trader proffession would be much more interesting, because traders would have to invest time looking prices, demand, and also planning routes, trying to avoid low and anarchy systems for example. And probably pirate commanders for example would also study these routes to pirate the traders, increasing again player interaction.

- Player interacting mechanics
1- Mechanics to make player be able to trade between them in stations, or for example missions created in game by players, for other players. For example scort missions, bounty hunting missions, etc. Let´s suppose I create a mission to scort me and my gold fitted type 9 to reach my favourite station. I can create the mission, offer 10 millions, and then in the very moment I create the mission the money is taken from my credits, and then my player scort get´s the money when we together reach the destiny. This kind of things would dramatically increase life in the game and player interaction. etc. An important point is the amount to be paid in this missions should have any limit to avoid people paying too much, to exploit it and passing money to another account, etc.
2- Rewards for people who only plays open. Apart from the point I explained before about BGS and POWERPLAY, every "OPEN ONLY" item sold, delivered, etc, could have 10% (or 20%, whatever) reward because in theory you are risking more. Even if you are not trying to move any BGS or something, any commander who mine some silver, gold, whatever, in open, and after a risky (and exciting) travel to the selling point, should have any extra reward if he does it in open all the time.

- Thargoids
1- With thargoids we have passed from 100 to 0. At the beggining of this year thargoids were invading more and more systems everyday and all the people involved in Xenowar could do absolutely nothing, and then after some adjustment FDEV made, the situation changed totally from one day to another. About 6 or seven systems were cleaned everyday and now the thargoids are not a real threat
2- Systems with thargoid presence. Ok, in theory a system with thargoids around should be very dangerous. Actually if I go to a system invaded by thargoids, I am only in danger if I drop into a nonhuman signal. I would like to be in real danger in the very moment I reach a thargoid invaded system. Agressive hyperdictions, and of course thatgoids pulling me out of supercruise and attacking me in those systems.
3- Thargoid friends. There are commanders who thinks thargoids are friends for them. Ok, then they should receive tools for that. Maybe after "aligning" as Thargoids friends, they would only be able to go into a smal bunch of systems where minor factions are alse thargoids friends (or maybe a new thargoid friend powerplay), because in any other they will be seen as enemies of mankind and attacked all the time, but at the same time Thargoids would not attack them. Once you align in game as thargoid friend you have to stay aligned for a month at least, for example. Therefore people couldn´t not change everyday to mess other players and then appear as lawfuls the day after. Also if you on purpose attack a commander who is in combat against a Thargoid, maybe he will be forced to be "thargoid friendly".

- New ships
1- we want new ships, and original please, not only variatios from existing ships. Also the imperials have the cutter, the federals have the corvette, but the alliance have not a proper big PVP ship. Maybe FDEV after a CG could develop a big ship, based on the challenger or the chieftiain, but bigger, with more shields, armor, weapons, etc, and af course slower.
2- Also, incredibly the empire does not have a medium combat ship. The only thing more or less alike is the clipper but the hardpoints are not suitable to use fixed weapons.
3- A new and really big transport ship. I don´t know if FDEV is making this or not, but I would like to have a new transport ship, so big it has to dock out of orbital station in a special platform or something. With a max cargo capacity of about 2.500 tons, etc.

- Rebuy insurance
1- I think the rebuy insurance should change the price based on the player experience. Now is 5% of the ship price, no matter if you are a total noob or Elite. I suggest something like 2% at the beginning of the game, and a figure about 30% when you are Elite in something (Trade, exploring or combat). This way veteran players, with a lot of money would have more risk and also things would be more balanced, specially for people who has 20 billions, for them a rebuy is nothing. With this system things would change and would be more exciting.

- Instancing.
1- I am not a programmer of course, but everybody knows the instances start to fail when there are more than 8 (sometime less) people in the same instance. I could give a lot of examples, everybody who play in open has had issues with this.

- Blocking feature
1- In this moment the blocking feature blocks communication from whatever commander, but the game also tries to prevent you instancing with the commander. I thing the blocking mechanic should block communications only.

Well, this is more or less what I have been thinking and also hearing from other commanders in the last month. I know some of the mechanincs maybe can not be implemented now, but anyway I suggest it.

Of course any commander can tell me and add whatever they think.

Regards.

Few nice ideas, but two things will never change:
1. Open/group/solo will stay with us. This is basic game design and never will change. Devs were always very clear about it. And also all activities were, are and will be available in each mode.
2. Instancing. Network code of Elite is p2p and it also will never change.
Elite was not intended for big PvP clashes.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Few nice ideas, but two things will never change:
1. Open/group/solo will stay with us. This is basic game design and never will change. Devs were always very clear about it. And also all activities were, are and will be available in each mode.
2. Instancing. Network code of Elite is p2p and it also will never change.
Elite was not intended for big PvP clashes.
It rather seems that way, doesn't it....

Regarding 1. - Frontier's desired game experience has, from the outset, been that every player will both experience and affect the single shared galaxy state. Each player (apart from players on consoles without premium platform access) have the choice of three game modes at the beginning of each session - which means that multi-player (and therefore PvP) is entirely optional in this game. Frontier published their game design at the start of the Kickstarter, over seven years ago now - and some players have been demanding that it is changed to favour Open from pretty much the point that the first backer realised that players would be able to continue to play the game, affecting the galaxy, without them.

Frontier reiterated their stance on the BGS not that long ago:
Source: https://youtu.be/VCy1ZYjLvdQ?t=861

.... and followed up with the stream recap thread:
BGS (Background Simulation) Changes

The Background Simulation (BGS) is a representation of how the actions of all players, no matter on which platform or mode, impact the galaxy. The factions that inhabit these system battle for influence over the population and control of the starports, installations and outposts. Player actions can push these factions into various states; such as economy, security, health and influence. With concerted effort players can help grow a faction's economy, destroy its security status, or help win a war.
From which it seems likely that there will be no change, with regard to the BGS.

We're still waiting for some form of communication regarding Powerplay with respect to the Open only proposal contained in Sandro's first Flash Topic in May of last year - however, even then, Sandro indicated that Powerplay was the only game feature considered to be possibly suited for Open only and that the Flash Topic was an investigation and not a fait accompli.

well guys while ur at it
there is a big gap in 2 things
  1. mouse and keyboard advantage the hotas should have more options for fine-tuning after all the hotas give's you that extra feel
  2. weapons are not really balanced specifically the plasma's do a lot of damage and there is no other weapon that opponents can use specifically with FA on. not everyone can fly FA off
  3. the balance between gimballed and fxt should be an advantage for gimballed and not like it is now. fxt weapons have more DPS then gimballed while gimballed can be countered by chaff so this should be the other way around fxt less DPS and gimballed high DPS

well guys while ur at it
there is a big gap in 2 things
  1. mouse and keyboard advantage the hotas should have more options for fine-tuning after all the hotas give's you that extra feel
  2. weapons are not really balanced specifically the plasma's do a lot of damage and there is no other weapon that opponents can use specifically with FA on. not everyone can fly FA off
  3. the balance between gimballed and fxt should be an advantage for gimballed and not like it is now. fxt weapons have more DPS then gimballed while gimballed can be countered by chaff so this should be the other way around fxt less DPS and gimballed high DPS
U mental? I use pas and dont even need to touch fa off, I can beat some of the guys that do as well! Any weapon is fa off and fa on, its perfectly balanced.

hotas has plenty of options for fine tuning, all i ask of is that curves are within the game instead of using an external app for that.

The point is that the harder the weapon is to use the better the damage is. So doing this would cause a massive inbalance!

Players have written about these issues more than once, including petitions. For FD, it’s more profitable to roll out next Planet Zoo, than to make capital changes in Elite.

Add a little more:
The block list in open mode should be canceled, as this violates the whole concept of solo and private modes. If you don’t want someone to see and open, if someone does it to you unpleasantly - go in private or solo and live there in the dead (from BGS and PP) space!

The open mode should be open to everyone, regardless of whether you want to see someone or not. And then the pilot will add players who are objectionable to him in the block list and thereby destroys the instances if they intercept him, causing many inconvenience to other players. The elite in open mode should be dangerous, and not vanilla like candy floss.

Afraid of intercepting a player? - your world in a solo and private cage!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The block list in open mode should be canceled, as this violates the whole concept of solo and private modes.
On the contrary - the existence of an instance block in Open is consistent with the fact that other players are optional in this game.

The modes themselves are simply different settings on the matchmaking system - Solo = instance with no-one; Private Group = instance with players currently playing in that Private Group; Open = instance with players in Open (apart from those on the block list, of course).

Frontier gave each player a number of options with regard to their preferred game experience.

What they did not do is create a game where any player can be forced to engage in PvP to engage in any game feature.

After being a long time thinking about these Ideas, I am going to explan them here, separed by categories. Most of them are adressed to improve and promote player-player interactions.

It´s a long text, I hope FDEV reads it and of course anyone who read this thread can ping me or PM and suggest.

- BGS and powerplay.
1- Make BGS and powerplay open only. My suggestion is every nav data, mission, bounty, powerplay brochures, powerplay point, commodities, whatever, made in OPEN should be the only one to be able to have any influence in BGS/ powerplay. The way I would do this is these items should be marked as "OPEN ITEMS" and in the very moment you change to SOLO/PG, these items would be marked as "NO-OPEN ITEMS" (or something similar) even if you go back to Open. This way new players that play only in SOLO/PG could be capable of gain reputation with a powerplay to obtain a weapon, or with a minor faction, earn money making missions, etc, but without having influence in the galaxy.
2- Donation missions should require donate the money and them fly to another base to end the mission, this way a ship in open could not move the BGS just sitting in a station and spending money without risk.
3- More rewards for BGS. At the moment the BGS apart from seeing % rising in your favourite faction does not give anything for the players. BGS could be more dinamic and active if players in a squadron making BGS for his faction, could get a reward based on the amount of population the faction controls at the end of a week, month, etc. It could be money, materials, extra ARX, special decals, or even engineered modules. Also the possibility of changing name bases, etc. Maybe for POWERPLAY a similar reward system could be implemented.

- Crime and Punishment, security.
1- Let´s be real. Security system in this game is a joke. This should change specially in high security systems. High security systems police should have full wings of engineered NPC´s ships, piloted by clever IA pilots who should make every criminal think two times before killing another commander for no reason, and they should come quickly, 10 seconds or something like that, not 1 and a half minute. Also a wanted pilot who enters in a high security system should be interdicted by this forces one time after another. This way also anarchy systems would be a thing in BGS level to stablish "safe" places for outlaws.
2- No wanted pilot should be able to land in a base he is wanted. I have seen several times people killing new commanders in Felicity Farseer, and them land in the base to reload shield. In the very moment you get near of a base you are wanted, the base should try to blow you in pieces, that´s all. I also have seen pilots wanted landing in orbital bases, and doing the same, that does not have any logic.
3- When a commander reach level 4 (or less, it´s a suggestion) of notoriety, reached for example killing NPC´s other players, etc, it´s forced to play in open until he reaches notoriety 1 or so again. Also notoriety should be only reducid playing and flying REALLY in open, not sitting in a station and just waiting.
4- When a commander has made a lot of crimes repeatedly (again some notoriety level), should has a "marker" that other commanders could see in the galaxy map. Some kind of marker or list of wanted commanders online in that moment and in the system. Also in, for example, in medium and high security systems. If a wanted commander is even out of supercruise, if another commander go nearer than, for example, 100 LS, it could appear a signal revealing a wanted commander is there, so bounty hunters could track him. As this signal does not appear in low and anarcky systems, again some systems could be used as safe place.
5- Remove the 2 millions limit for bountys. Ok, I know this was limited to avoid people passing credits to another player letting him to be killed, but it´s not fair if a kill a wanted commander, who has let´s suppose 100 million bounty, I only get 2 million. I could get for example 50% of the bounty, (or 60%, whatever). The typical FDL has a rebuy of about ten million, so the bounty hunter / enforcer proffesion would be much more lucrative if bounty limits are modified, and of course it would improve interaction between outlaws and lawfuls

- CG´s and interestellar Initiatives
1- In some way the developers should actively participate in CG´s, with a ship marked clearly as piloted by a developer (or someone contracted for that). Of course the pilot has to be a experienced pilot and the ship should be fully engineered. Interacting with these pilots could have any special reward for who do this. Also this way the developers would be much near of the community.
2- CG´s open only. In the very moment you sign in at least one or more CG´s, interestellar initiatives or whatever, you are instantly changed to open and can´t change to solo/PG until all the CG´s you are signed are ended. CG´s should make people connect and interact.

- Economy
1- The economy should be more dinamic, both local system and also galaxy system. We have seen in the last months miners are flooding the bubble with opals and diamonds, but the prices are the same. This have made now in the game any new commander can make billions in the first week of play. I am not telling we have to go back to the first years of game where making money was extremely difficult, but I think now is unbalanced. In a real economy system, the vast increase in offer should have made the prices of these items to drop quickly, so people should have moved to trade / mine other items to make money. A dinamic economy system should take into account the offer and demand, so the trader proffession would be much more interesting, because traders would have to invest time looking prices, demand, and also planning routes, trying to avoid low and anarchy systems for example. And probably pirate commanders for example would also study these routes to pirate the traders, increasing again player interaction.

- Player interacting mechanics
1- Mechanics to make player be able to trade between them in stations, or for example missions created in game by players, for other players. For example scort missions, bounty hunting missions, etc. Let´s suppose I create a mission to scort me and my gold fitted type 9 to reach my favourite station. I can create the mission, offer 10 millions, and then in the very moment I create the mission the money is taken from my credits, and then my player scort get´s the money when we together reach the destiny. This kind of things would dramatically increase life in the game and player interaction. etc. An important point is the amount to be paid in this missions should have any limit to avoid people paying too much, to exploit it and passing money to another account, etc.
2- Rewards for people who only plays open. Apart from the point I explained before about BGS and POWERPLAY, every "OPEN ONLY" item sold, delivered, etc, could have 10% (or 20%, whatever) reward because in theory you are risking more. Even if you are not trying to move any BGS or something, any commander who mine some silver, gold, whatever, in open, and after a risky (and exciting) travel to the selling point, should have any extra reward if he does it in open all the time.

- Thargoids
1- With thargoids we have passed from 100 to 0. At the beggining of this year thargoids were invading more and more systems everyday and all the people involved in Xenowar could do absolutely nothing, and then after some adjustment FDEV made, the situation changed totally from one day to another. About 6 or seven systems were cleaned everyday and now the thargoids are not a real threat
2- Systems with thargoid presence. Ok, in theory a system with thargoids around should be very dangerous. Actually if I go to a system invaded by thargoids, I am only in danger if I drop into a nonhuman signal. I would like to be in real danger in the very moment I reach a thargoid invaded system. Agressive hyperdictions, and of course thatgoids pulling me out of supercruise and attacking me in those systems.
3- Thargoid friends. There are commanders who thinks thargoids are friends for them. Ok, then they should receive tools for that. Maybe after "aligning" as Thargoids friends, they would only be able to go into a smal bunch of systems where minor factions are alse thargoids friends (or maybe a new thargoid friend powerplay), because in any other they will be seen as enemies of mankind and attacked all the time, but at the same time Thargoids would not attack them. Once you align in game as thargoid friend you have to stay aligned for a month at least, for example. Therefore people couldn´t not change everyday to mess other players and then appear as lawfuls the day after. Also if you on purpose attack a commander who is in combat against a Thargoid, maybe he will be forced to be "thargoid friendly".

- New ships
1- we want new ships, and original please, not only variatios from existing ships. Also the imperials have the cutter, the federals have the corvette, but the alliance have not a proper big PVP ship. Maybe FDEV after a CG could develop a big ship, based on the challenger or the chieftiain, but bigger, with more shields, armor, weapons, etc, and af course slower.
2- Also, incredibly the empire does not have a medium combat ship. The only thing more or less alike is the clipper but the hardpoints are not suitable to use fixed weapons.
3- A new and really big transport ship. I don´t know if FDEV is making this or not, but I would like to have a new transport ship, so big it has to dock out of orbital station in a special platform or something. With a max cargo capacity of about 2.500 tons, etc.

- Rebuy insurance
1- I think the rebuy insurance should change the price based on the player experience. Now is 5% of the ship price, no matter if you are a total noob or Elite. I suggest something like 2% at the beginning of the game, and a figure about 30% when you are Elite in something (Trade, exploring or combat). This way veteran players, with a lot of money would have more risk and also things would be more balanced, specially for people who has 20 billions, for them a rebuy is nothing. With this system things would change and would be more exciting.

- Instancing.
1- I am not a programmer of course, but everybody knows the instances start to fail when there are more than 8 (sometime less) people in the same instance. I could give a lot of examples, everybody who play in open has had issues with this.

- Blocking feature
1- In this moment the blocking feature blocks communication from whatever commander, but the game also tries to prevent you instancing with the commander. I thing the blocking mechanic should block communications only.

Well, this is more or less what I have been thinking and also hearing from other commanders in the last month. I know some of the mechanincs maybe can not be implemented now, but anyway I suggest it.

Of course any commander can tell me and add whatever they think.

Regards.

+1

On the contrary - the existence of an instance block in Open is consistent with the fact that other players are optional in this game.
Of course, of course, but when the pilot in the open mode, on the basis of his moral principles, blocks all those who are objectionable and as a result they don’t see him and he doesn’t see them - this is actually a small private mode, in essence. Besides the fact that the instances break down when such a player (let’s not point the finger, everyone knows him) enters a mass battle, this is also disrespect to all participants in this battle. Fuego's idea is great - the block-list should only be in the chat messages, and not the block of the physical meeting in instance.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Of course, of course, but when the pilot in the open mode, on the basis of his moral principles, blocks all those who are objectionable and as a result they don’t see him and he doesn’t see them - this is actually a small private mode, in essence. Besides the fact that the instances break down when such a player (let’s not point the finger, everyone knows him) enters a mass battle, this is also disrespect to all participants in this battle. Fuego's idea is great - the block-list should only be in the chat messages, and not the block of the physical meeting in instance.
Whether the OP's proposals are "great", or not, rather depend on one's preference, or lack thereof, for PvP.

.... and Frontier would seem to be "well aware" that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP (even if Sandro indicated that a majority of players play in Open).
The open mode should be open to everyone, regardless of whether you want to see someone or not. And then the pilot will add players who are objectionable to him in the block list and thereby destroys the instances if they intercept him, causing many inconvenience to other players.
Open is available to all players (apart from console players who don't have premium platform access - they can only play in Solo) - however each player decided where they want to play. The choice rests with each player how many players they want to encounter - and also whether or not they want to block a particular player.

Last edited:
TL;DR Make the game solo only for fairness

In fairness, the suggestion about the Devs playing during CG's is actually good, and the ones about thargoids and C&P. but it raises the old open vs solo "issue" for the billionth time. Oh and "blocking should be comms only"

Last edited:
Top Bottom