Shield-only gankers?

I forget who they were but there was a Fed' squadron doing this as part of some kind of "blockade" a few months back - basically, interdicting ships with wings of Vultures, knocking out shields and then demanding CMDRs left the system.
Gotta say, they were very courteous and doing the full RP thing too. 👍

Since I was flying my iCourier they were kind of wasting their time with me, anyway, but I applaud their attitude.

I like their style!

I've encountered Commanders who RP'd and my first reaction is to do the same, but I'm willing and able to kill if that's all they want. 😏 It won't be me staring at the rebuy screen. 😜

Interdict me if you dare. 🤣

I used to shoot out people’ drives, and walk them through reboots.

If I catch another PvP type AFK, I’ll sometimes steal their drives and leave before they get back lol. Maybe snipe their FSD, or something.

Knowing that I’ve caused them to experience a mild inconvenience makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Good gameplay. That's how all PvP should look like in this game and I bet more would be in Open.

To be able to send Missio (or surrender, term from gladiators) and bow to the attacker would please both sides imho.

Anyone ever been jumped by a ganker who stopped once they’d dropped your shields? Saluted and went on their way?

Just curious. May or may not be planning to make a part-nuisance of myself...
This would be what a pirate should attempt to do: drop your shields to get a good negotiating position then demand stuff. It is actually quite difficult as some players have such weak hulls on their ships that a couple of extra seconds on the trigger is all it takes to make them go boom. Personally I approve of the shield gankers, but I think there is a place for the murder hobo, as long as the game design is such that they are restricted to the lower security systems. Unfortunately this is not the case in elite.

I confess to doing a little "ganking" in my PS4 days, mostly using my alt CMDR. I never killed my targets, however (unless they pressed the fight and it was my life vs. theirs). I usually would just bring their hull down to 50% or so and then let them escape. If I took out their thrusters and it seemed clear they didn't know how to reboot, I would send them a comms to explain it to them.

The ganking I did was under the guise of PowerPlay - I chose a power and then hunted players of opposing powers. I also flew very humble ships like an Imperial Eagle or modestly engineered Courier (my alt was an Imperial loyalist). I chose weapons that were "mess with you" weapons, like force shell cannons and scramble spectrum burst lasers. I was basically a cat playing with a mouse but not killing it.

Eventually I stopped this, because it was annoying people, and just annoying people for the sake of annoying people just doesn't sit right with me. These days I pirate for my "prey on the innocent" PvP, which has purpose and is very much Lore-friendly. I fully role play, using comms and stealth tactics rather than brute force. I never kill my target - it's bad for business! Heck, I have used repair limpets more than once on my targets if an inevitable battle goes too poorly for them. I like to think of myself as sort of a Robbin Hood, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor (me). IMO piracy is way more challenging and rewarding that just "I shoot you, hehehe" Beavis & Butthead ganking.

Hmm. Slept on it for a night. The idea’s interesting, but is it just a step on the road to full-out ganking?

My pilot journey has looked something like this:
Noob—>explorer—>courier—>planetary scanner—>explorer—>miner—>trade mission runner—>rares trader—>passenger hauler—>pve bounty hunter—>open mode nav beacon murderer —>pve massacre missions (where i am now).

I could see the next steps being: stealthy shield ganker—>hazres miner—>engineer patroller—>rookie pvp—>rp suicide ganker.

Life’s a journey, not a destination, right?

Question is ... what if the “gankee” fights back? They don’t know you’re gonna stop when the shields are down ... which means the situation could easily escalate.

Which is the main reason I think PvP has an “issue” in this game ... how do you communicate the terms of engagement?!

Question is ... what if the “gankee” fights back? They don’t know you’re gonna stop when the shields are down ... which means the situation could easily escalate.

Which is the main reason I think PvP has an “issue” in this game ... how do you communicate the terms of engagement?!

Well, Tolm, you're gonna get shot at. It's a given. Part of the build would be the ability to bug out when necessary; I wouldn't try this in a T9.

As far as communication, I agree. It's challenging. That's the aspect I most need to learn to figure this out. I think it can be done.

Top Bottom