Shield stripper gun for Fed Gun Ship

Greetings CMDRs,

Trader/Explorer trying to combat and seeking some insight about weapon loadout. On my recent shopping spree I've acquired FGS since I didn't even considered anything Federal during my ship progression. I have many ships more or less suited for combat (Vulture, FDL, Corvette) but for the time being I want to focus on FGS so please, treat is as set in stone.

My issue - I'm aware that my current build is far from optimal or even viable, I have lots of work ahead of me - my issue is yesterday I took my Gunship for a quick bounty hunting test.

Ship is A-rated part life support (D here).
Bulkheads are military grade.
6C Bi-wave shields.
Military restricted optionals are filled with hull reinforcements
KWS

And for now that's it.

Weapons are ALL multicannons as it was suggested as fun build. So I took this half baked gunship to a HazRES, picked a target (Master DBS) and started shooting. Long story short - I won with 94% hull left.
Main issues encountered:
(apart from lack of piloting skills, poor PIP management)
  • taking enemy shields down took considerable amount of time
  • when shields went finally down I removed remaining 60% of his hull in just one barrage (indeed fun)

At first I was the one who was receiving shots, he managed tostrip my shields and score few % of my hull. Then I git gud and started to avoiding hos shots more while feeding him my ammo. Started bad, finished as I wished.

Now - main question: what to pick as a shield removing tool?

I would like to keep MC as primary weapons and was thinking about replacing that L-size MC in favor of PA. I recall Vindicator Jones' and his FDL video. Awesome stuff. In it he had PA in the largest slot as a welcome shot and other weapons to finish the job. I was wondering if it could be viable option for Gunship. You know, pick target, scan, align when non-aggro'd. O Hai with PA and continue with MCs.

In theory sounds fun.
Thoughts?

Now - main question: what to pick as a shield removing tool?
Weapons with thermal damage? lasers for example.
I would like to keep MC as primary weapons and was thinking about replacing that L-size MC in favor of PA. I recall Vindicator Jones' and his FDL video. Awesome stuff. In it he had PA in the largest slot as a welcome shot and other weapons to finish the job.
I was wondering if it could be viable option for Gunship. You know, pick target, scan, align when non-aggro'd. O Hai with PA and continue with MCs.
Yeah, I've noticed that "get into position". It is somehow weird for me. Piloting engineered ship and start shooting npc into back. Amazing and exciting gameplay, yeah, sure. :/
In theory sounds fun.
Thoughts?
Fixed weapon is a PITA. After hard working day its usage in the game will not relax you.
PAs on the FGS are good against big nice shaped ships like fdl, anaconda, kraits but you'll start hate small ships very fast.

My 5 cents:
  • dd5 drives makes the ship fast enough, boost and strafe, it is able to orbit around targets
  • 4 focused pulse class 2 lasers almost constantly shooting, with them you can shoot targets at 1.5 dealing good damage and additionally have better armour piercing for big ships which is good for hull damage
  • 1 emissive pulse laser to help aiming
  • 1 corrosive mc to make those 4 lasers more dreadfull
  • class 3 seeker (or dumbfire) to destroy target's chaff, or just damage weapons
  • bi weave shileds with couple of E shiled boosters just for resistance (it is not shield tank)
  • AFM (because it is not shield tank)
  • some reasonable HRPs and MRPs
  • and elite SLF
And do not tank, the ship is able to get you from fire line.

Last edited:
If you're dead set on sticking with seven multis the incendiary experimental effect changes the damage to thermal. In theory you might just want to keep this on the smalls and maybe one or two (this might be pushing it) of the mediums. You could start off with just the smalls and see how it goes.

If you're staying fixed, I'd avoid using a combination of multis and PAs as the difference between shot speeds will mess up your targeting. Using g5 long range or focused on the PA may make this manageable, but I'm not sure if you'll see an improvement on an overcharged multicannon.

For all multis it's indeed most straightforward to put the Incendiary experimental effect on one or two of them. Other than than you can do small beam lasers. My Colonia PvE FGS has more varied loadout: Main arnament is 2 legacy engineered OC fixed MCs and an APA with matched shot speed. Secondary arnament is 2 Pack-Hounds for the times someone is trying to run or I grow tired of trying to hit small ships with fixed weapons. The small slots are a corrosive Enfrocer and Thermal Vent beam turret.

Ah, the all MC FGS, I know it well. I presume you've already got a corrosive (high cap) mod on one of the small hardpoints? Like others suggested, I'd make use of the incendiary mod (probably on two mediums and the other small one). For the rest it's Autoloader.

If you really want to stick with multi then, as others have suggested, modding a few for incendiary would help.

Alternatively, you could mount a pair of class 1 Cytoscramblers g5 efficient with overcharged. These would be very effective at stripping shields but, only shields.

I have MC on med/lge points with corrosive/incendiary on 1 each of the mediums, autoload on the other 3. Shields seem to come down fairly quickly.
I have long range pulse turrets on the 2 small points. They help to tag things at a distance and keep small fry busy while I'm trying to get them in my sights.

I presume you've already got a corrosive (high cap) mod on one of the small hardpoints?

And you would be totally wrong. Apart from Felicity I don't have any other engineer available. Had other goals on target and now this is the thing I need to work on. General consensus is to add engineering to weapons and all-MC build should start to shine.

Eh... once again I need to do something totally different from what I was aiming for... No escape from engineer grind.

Do you also like destroying harmless npcs?... Join me in lowres. I've seen harmless wanted anacondas and fdls there. Payed not that much but fun.🙃
Not where I usually go, but I'm happy to wing up with people to blow some stuff up. I am on PS4 though.

My vote is for incendiary multicannons, it's one experimental change and makes a huge difference.

Also, you might want to try gimballed multicannons until you get really good at combat.

And don't forget to keep a fighter on board, with beam lasers. A taipan beam fighter really helps knock down shields

Todd isn't far off and should be the next unlock then.

Non-engineered lasers aren't going to be any fun at all, so I didn't recommend them.

It's worth unlocking Todd McQuinn. Not just because he's the multicannon guy, he's also one of the four precursors to the Colonia Engineers, if you ever head out that way again.

Top Bottom