Ship build for DWE2

I know it's a long way off but I'm planning on going on DWE2 (missed DWE1 and don't want to make that mistake again). With that in mind I've been tinkering with ship builds and would appreciate others thoughts on this (and I dare say others are also wondering which ship to take).

Here are some of my requirements:

- Decent range (45-50ly) so I can keep up with the pace without having to try too hard (happy to engineer stuff to maximise this) + Fuel scoop of course.

- Shields sufficient for landing on most planets without too much risk.

- An advanced discovery scanner for definite but probably also a detailed surface scanner (it is an exploration trip after all).

- At least one and preferably two SRVs. I adore pootling around in the SRV and would pretty much head for home if I lost my ability to do this.

- I'm a Fuel Rat so I'd like to be able to volunteer this service to the expedition. This means a fuel transfer limpet controller plus a cargo bay to carry some limpets. Alternatively I could go with a repair limpet controller if people thought this would be an equally useful service to be able to provide to the expedition.

- Possibly an AMFU (although I was wondering whether the repair limpets would serve pretty much the same function and thereby kill two birds with one stone Internal Slot).

- A medium sized ship that's capable of finding landing spots on rough terrain.

- Probably a mining laser so I don't end up doing a "Macedonica".

This is one concept that I'm currently considering ...

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/asp...LCoAwgzATCGBTAhgcwDbJJK+g===&bn=DWE2 Fuel Asp

I've gone with the AspX over the DBX as I've learned from a lot of experience Buckyballing the DBX (a ship I adore and which is brilliant at planetary landings) that its weak Fuel scoop means it tends to fall behind over long distances unless you're prepared to risk heat damage (which adds up on a long expedition even tho' the DBX is amazingly resilient to heat).

The other thing I need to consider VERY carefully is what selection of bobble heads to bring but that's another discussion entirely!

Last edited:
Gonna do any more engineering or just leave it at the FSD? I would think about getting the heavy duty mod for your lightweight alloy. Since it has a base weight of 0, the mod increases you hull with zero down side. Might be a consideration if you're really nervous about rough landings.

edit: oops just noticed you were open to more mods to increase jump range. Well, maybe add this one to the list.

Last edited:
I'd suggest the Orca as a very enjoyable alternative to the AspX (recent did a 500KLy run in one to BP and back), unfortunately it has only 6 none locked modules for equipment and you were looking at fitting a fuel X limpet. I find it's a lot easier to land than the AspX (a ship I absolutely detest) although finding space on very hilly terrain is a bit of a problem. You could still use one of course if you sacrifice the AFMU of course:

https://eddp.co/u/FGNVl44s (default max settings off coriolis, similar to my own though mine boosts to something like 592 and has jump range just short of 50 ly with a very good FSD roll (53 point something)

It's also ridiculously good at canyon racing. :D

Python would be better bet for a fuel rat with undersized 5A thrusters and you wouldn't be sacrificing must performance. (That is assuming you detest using big ships for exploration.)

https://eddp.co/u/VB2AfqVs

Last edited:
Gonna do any more engineering or just leave it at the FSD? I would think about getting the heavy duty mod for your lightweight alloy. Since it has a base weight of 0, the mod increases you hull with zero down side. Might be a consideration if you're really nervous about rough landings.

edit: oops just noticed you were open to more mods to increase jump range. Well, maybe add this one to the list.

Absolutely - the FSD mod I've stuck on the coriolis build is just an example really (I'll do a whole bunch as well as the FSD and yes, thanks for reminding me, definitely the heavy duty lightweight alloys - something I've done in the past but hadn't considered for landings).

I'd suggest the Orca as a very enjoyable alternative to the AspX (recent did a 500KLy run in one to BP and back), unfortunately it has only 6 none locked modules for equipment and you were looking at fitting a fuel X limpet. I find it's a lot easier to land than the AspX (a ship I absolutely detest) although finding space on very hilly terrain is a bit of a problem. You could still use one of course if you sacrifice the AFMU of course:

https://eddp.co/u/FGNVl44s (default max settings off coriolis, similar to my own though mine boosts to something like 592 and has jump range just short of 50 ly with a very good FSD roll (53 point something)

It's also ridiculously good at canyon racing. :D

Python would be better bet for a fuel rat with undersized 5A thrusters and you wouldn't be sacrificing must performance. (That is assuming you detest using big ships for exploration.)

https://eddp.co/u/VB2AfqVs

Thanks for the suggestions. Python is my main ship actually (and yes, I've used it for a lot of rat rescues over the years). Don't know why I hadn't considered it for DWE2 actually. It would certainly solve all my internal module quandries, just slightly wary of its range (my current ship is packed full of weapony and equipment but still gets over 30ly). Definitely a solid candidate. Big to land on rocky hillsides I suppose, but then again so is the Asp. Some experimentation may be required!

BTW, what do you consider "decent range" for this endeavor? How low would you go if it meant being able to cram more modules in?

Coriolis shows a fully exploration kitted Python can get ~40Ly with "best" engineering rolls. Not sure how well it lands though, I've never done any planetary landings in one before.
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...BS37h1UAAAA=.EweloBhBmUEYAcICmBDA5gG2SEcIFA==

Surprisingly, a Cobra IV fits everything you want, though the engineered jump range only seems to go up to ~33Ly, which is not great. OTOH it's a small ship so it should land better.
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/cob.../gPFACEQNdhVAAAA.EweloBhBGA2MQFMCGBzANokMK6A=

Last edited:
BTW, what do you consider "decent range" for this endeavor? How low would you go if it meant being able to cram more modules in?

Oops, my bad, meant to include that in the OP (I'll edit that in a sec). I'd like to get close to 50ly but let's say 45-50. Travelling's alright (I've been to Sag A before) but I'd rather spend my time exploring around the next waypoint rather than getting there. Would I go as low as 40 if I could get the extra modules? Hmmm, 25 mins to go 1kly vs. 20mins, so an extra 1/5th of my time travelling? Actually that doesn't sound too bad so yeah ... I _might_ go as low as 40.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/typ...==.Aw18aQ==..EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28RgGwE4CsQA==

Left field.

You can take away the AFMU for more fuel (you said you wanted to be a refueler, yes?). Maybe even get rid of the surface scanner to downgrade SRV slot for more fuel too.

Obviously engineering will boost jump range, but I'm no expert on it so will leave that to others.

Great view (compared to a catherderal).

Also, unique (if you want to be unique that is).

Oh, and fuel scoop can be upgraded too, if your into that sort of thing.

Really what I'm saying is, easy ship to mess around with, and you'll enjoy the view too.

Last edited:
Quick heads up, none of the coriolis links people have posted are working for me at the moment so your suggestions will have to remain a mystery until I can get back to a proper computer (on iPad for now). Thanks for the advice tho ... I'll respond tomorrow

Quick heads up, none of the coriolis links people have posted are working for me at the moment so your suggestions will have to remain a mystery until I can get back to a proper computer (on iPad for now). Thanks for the advice tho ... I'll respond tomorrow

There was a thread about coriolis itself having problems. This might be what your experiencing.

Whatever you do, don't bring a red T-6. I got dibs on that.

No sweat, mine's more yellow and black.

KqE6V5l.jpg

Last edited:
I'd suggest the Orca as a very enjoyable alternative to the AspX

Yes! I love so much my Orca! I became twice Elite Explorer on an AspX, but now, after some buffs, the Orca is a stunning ship to fly. It handles like no other ship, and it has a very good jump range, if properly outfitted and engineered. Mine, has a JR of 50Ly with business class passenger cabins. 52Ly without cabins. It can explore the outer corners of our galaxy with no too much troubles...

I have an Anaconda fitted for long range exploration, which I almost do not fly at all. It so boring...

Last edited:
Something like that :) Snazzy paintjob.

Although ... does this paintjob make me look fat?

My Asp is not fat! She's just... big boned. :)
32352673345_31872acaec_h.jpg

Haven't made any plans per se on ship type, but a large fuel scoop for DWE2 is mandatory imo. I've actually been considering my Python as I can use my Asp's FSD which is a 57% roll.

Last edited:
Top Bottom