Ship Idle after supercruise destination.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Frontier expects us to sit at our monitors and watch us fly around in supercruise for 20-30 minutes so we can cut our engines without hitting the side of a station.

I have lost ships from ramming the station. I have lost ships from my ship getting stuck in the access bay and getting killed for loitering. Nobody wants to baby the game during long supercruise runs. Why the hell are our ships crashing into buildings upon exiting supercruise? We should automatically be set to idle when we exit.

Ridiculous. These people must not even play their own game.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Frontier expects us to sit at our monitors and watch us fly around in supercruise for 20-30 minutes so we can cut our engines without hitting the side of a station.

I have lost ships from ramming the station. I have lost ships from my ship getting stuck in the access bay and getting killed for loitering. Nobody wants to baby the game during long supercruise runs. Why the hell are our ships crashing into buildings upon exiting supercruise? We should automatically be set to idle when we exit.

Only people who don't know what they are doing make 20-30 min supercruise runs. Long in-system distances are easily avoided in most cases.

Try selling your Supercruise Assist then come back and moan about missing the station because you forgot to throttle back to 75% in time....

What has your "stop me on exiting supercruise" suggestion got to do with "I have lost ships from ramming the station. I have lost ships from my ship getting stuck in the access bay and getting killed for loitering " ?

Fly your ship.

if you do take a long trip like that, and you're using Supercruise Assist in Automatic throttle mode, you can zero your throttle. You will then fly to your destination, drop out of supercruise automatically, and stop.

Except for when he smacks into an astronomical body, emergency drops, then a pirate hits his wake and sends his ship to the insurance screen. Bottom line, ADC and SCA is designed as a tool to assist and be monitored.

It's crazy isn't a t, it's almost as though people expect that you might actually control the game your playing or something.

Who would want to actually do that? Sad.

Sarcasm aside, while I disagree with your post, I don't disagree that super cruise times can often be far too long to be considered gameplay. I think acceleration and deceleration are the main culprits, if it only took a few seconds to get back to speed after dropping into a USS to do some stuff, it might be better.

It's crazy isn't a t, it's almost as though people expect that you might actually control the game your playing or something.
I think so much of the problem comes from supercruise not requiring that. Even in a small system it can easily be a minute or two completely hands-free.

If it was actually interactive then people wouldn't complain about it so much. (Of course, making it interactive now would lead to lots of complaints)

I think acceleration and deceleration are the main culprits, if it only took a few seconds to get back to speed after dropping into a USS to do some stuff, it might be better.

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of how SC works, and it has been explained previously, with the throttle on max in SC you don't accelerate, you travel at the maximum speed possible for the local gravitational conditions. Try using SC to fly away from the system and wait until you hit 1000c, then zero the throttle and push it back to max, it's a matter of seconds to go from 30kps to 1000c. If you are flying away from a star in SC you travel faster because the gravitational field decreases, if you fly towards a star in SC you slow down because the local gravitational field increases, if you fly in a circle around the star and keep the same distance you will neither travel faster of slower but keep the same speed.

Once you understand the way SC works you can reduce the amount of time it takes to get places in systems by avoiding areas where the gravitational field is stronger, but from zero to the maximum possible local speed takes seconds, it's just that your speed is limited by your location, not your throttle setting or your acceleration.

If you enter a CZ near a planet then the planets gravitational field limits your max speed, that's how it works. to get to a higher speed as quickly as possible move directly away from the planet to reduce the local gravitational field as quickly as possible.

Trying supercruise assist right now out of curiosity. Been mugging lots of stations for Hutton event, I thought it would make it a bit more hand-off, since I have so much supercruise flying to do. And the thing is kind of dumb to be honest. First of all, it is much slower. Even when it works as intended. But half the time it doesn't. It does these odd things when it keeps throttling down for absolutely no reason. No other objects nearby, and it keeps my destination at 50 seconds instead of 8(6 if you fly yourself). Just out of curiosity I've decided to do same trip to same station again when it started doing it, and flew in half the time manually.
I understand why it exists, and I can even see myself taking it next time when I go exploring. Far into the wild unexplored territory. So I can go get cup of coffee and not just idle in supercruise. But to rely on this thing, and saying it's "autopilot's" fault is absurd. It's about as sophisticated as putting a brick on the gas pedal in your car and saying it's a self-driving vehicle...

LMFAO super-cruise assist is like 4/5 the speed of full throttle so you just made that 20 minute cruise 20 minutes. -- L2fly above the plane and you will be faster. end -
OR enjoy your 20 minutes of youtubes quietly.

Except for when he smacks into an astronomical body, emergency drops, then a pirate hits his wake and sends his ship to the insurance screen. Bottom line, ADC and SCA is designed as a tool to assist and be monitored.
Idk this seems more if an "autopilot or not you alone are responsible for not crashing into stations" perhaps dont leave the game unattended for long periods of time

Trying supercruise assist right now out of curiosity. Been mugging lots of stations for Hutton event, I thought it would make it a bit more hand-off, since I have so much supercruise flying to do. And the thing is kind of dumb to be honest. First of all, it is much slower. Even when it works as intended. But half the time it doesn't. It does these odd things when it keeps throttling down for absolutely no reason. No other objects nearby, and it keeps my destination at 50 seconds instead of 8(6 if you fly yourself). Just out of curiosity I've decided to do same trip to same station again when it started doing it, and flew in half the time manually.
I understand why it exists, and I can even see myself taking it next time when I go exploring. Far into the wild unexplored territory. So I can go get cup of coffee and not just idle in supercruise. But to rely on this thing, and saying it's "autopilot's" fault is absurd. It's about as sophisticated as putting a brick on the gas pedal in your car and saying it's a self-driving vehicle...

You are definitely using it wrong. Can see a lot of errors from what you have posted.

SCA is actually a lot faster than pure manual (if used correctly) Plenty of topics about getting the most from it in auto-throttle mode.

I tend to use it in my large freighters doing constant A-B-A runs.

You are definitely using it wrong. Can see a lot of errors from what you have posted.

SCA is actually a lot faster than pure manual (if used correctly) Plenty of topics about getting the most from it in auto-throttle mode.

How would it ever be faster, it doesn't understand how to utilize full throttle range. And definitely can't navigate gravity wells to speed up system navigation. At best it can match what player can do.

I can't see that being correct since it doesn't use the max throttle setting, it must inherently be slower because you are traveling below the max possible speed. Now depending on how exactly you pilot your ship after reaching your destination it might end up being faster simply because you are taking so long to maneuver your ship to the landing pad, but that's an unknown factor we can't take into account, but a good pilot flying manually without SCA and ADC will always beat a pilot using both.

I use it when im over stacked and being chased heavily in an underarmed undershielded courier runner occasionally. Usually im in the python though and she has teeth and a thicker hide

In Supercuise Assist's Manual throttle mode, you can go to 100% throttle whenever you like (temporarily disabling it until you return to 75% throttle). As it also allows SC dropout at a station at speeds which would cause an unassisted pilot to overshoot, it is definitely faster.

I can't see that being correct since it doesn't use the max throttle setting, it must inherently be slower because you are traveling below the max possible speed. Now depending on how exactly you pilot your ship after reaching your destination it might end up being faster simply because you are taking so long to maneuver your ship to the landing pad, but that's an unknown factor we can't take into account, but a good pilot flying manually without SCA and ADC will always beat a pilot using both.

No, it is faster if you use it as a tool to assist you. Now if you set SCA to auto, leave the room for a break, then yes it will be slower than pure manual.

Same deal with ADC - whilst I can dock FA-OFF in my sleep, even boosting through the slot, it is still faster to dock if using the ADC as a tool to assist, you can boost through the slot , maintain high speed, cut throttle and the computer decelerates the ship faster than using manual reverse thrust.

Use the tools at your disposal (if desired) just don’t be like the OP, then complain when you see a rebuyscreen..

Top Bottom